It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:18

I need someone in the States

A great place to make your first posting.
  • Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

I need someone in the States

Post30 Sep 2010, 14:58

Hello to all!

I am searching a kind person who is willing to swap SASM LED watch modules in the USA. From my point of view it doesn´t make sence to send modules overseas for a repair. Shipping is more expensive and the watches have to pass the German customs if you are sending from outside of the European union.

Instead it would be better if the customers send their watches to a trustworthy person (f.e. a former customer) who will do the swap. Sometimes the reed switches have to be adjusted. Maybe this person also does LED watch restoration: I find that case finishing and movement repair perfectly complement one each other.

I would buy new webspace like strikesandspares.us so that you get a personal email and a personal website, moreover I will provide working movements which I will ship in advance. The person should collect bad movements and could send these in exchange. All shipping charges will be paid, moreover the person will get a percentage of the repair price of course.

I would like to add a few words: This is nothing for someone who wants to make big $$$. As mentioned, I am programming just for fun. This is just a *very* interesting topic and I like the new movements as well :)

Just write a PM.

Best regards, Hanno.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: I need someone in the States

Post30 Sep 2010, 19:45

Hanno,

This sounds like an awesome idea. As a SAS customer, I see a number of benefits:

1) Quicker delivery
I think reed switch adjustments are only necessary in a minority of cases so having a U.S based "distributor" would make it possible for U.S. customers to have a replacement module in a matter of just a week or so instead of a few weeks.
2) Troubleshooting help
Having a quicker turnaround in case of minor problems is also appealing. For example, I have a module with a flaky display that Hanno has offered to swap, which I probably would have done sooner if it were logistically quicker and simpler.
3) Customer service help
The prospect of and having another person (who is in the same time zone) working with Hanno to answer emails is appealing. Sometimes SAS (Hanno) is able to answer questions promptly, sometimes not. Hanno is only one person with the usual time pressures (like, you know, a job, a life etc) so having another person to help answer questions would be a real help.
4) Filling in the gaps
It's almost impossible for just one person to do everything well - the engineering, the product development, the customer service, the web site. Even if you're one person, people tend to have an expectations akin to a larger company. If you can find a few assistants / disciples to help out then you could fill in a few of the gaps. For example, it would be nice if information were easier to find on the SAS web site.

I would think that it would also be appealing for SAS have a "one stop shop" location where watches could be sent for module repair and case / crystal / bracelet refinishing. So, yeah, I think you're 100% right that if you can find someone who is also experienced at restoration, then that would be best.

If you're interested in help with the web site and product photography / collateral, then I might be able to help out with that.

You've got an excellent (and completely unique) product. It's good to see that you're continuing to refine both the product and the "business". Hopefully you're successful so more vintage LEDs can continue to live on.

-abe.

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Post30 Sep 2010, 22:23

hmmm... kind of like a SASM authorized dealer/installer? I like the idea of being able to keep my watches in the US. You would have a (multiple) customer here.
- Shaun

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Sep 2010, 23:39

I bought a P4 once from Germany (not Hanno) and when it arrived, the back was cross-threaded and the module was tipped such that that the reed switches were no longer aligned with the buttons.

Reason #5 to have a U.S dealer: Avoid the customs guys

For a frightening tale of customs investigator horrors, see: http://www.dwf.cc/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=527

-abe.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Sep 2010, 23:58

Well, a few words to the customs in Germany. OK, they are slow and they haven´t heard the expression "customer service" yet, but up to now I´ve never lost any item in 15 years and guess I´ve sent and received a bunch of items from / to overseas. No damages as well.

I think the main problem is the time, the money and the "better feeling" if someone can repair the watch in his country.

Thanks for the nice comments, I have to think about how to manage the websites, and how things should work in the future.

Hanno.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : I need someone in the States

Post01 Oct 2010, 00:54

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Oct 2010, 06:24

Jeff,

Yeah, I did cross post some of the P1 pix. My intention wasn't to spam the LED boards but I did want to share the more interesting stuff with Archer a.k.a. Diginut who graciously shared advice, info and photos with me back before I found my P1 when I was a total noob.

This is still by far my favorite online place for watch/gadget stuff. It's too bad there aren't more people posting - stories, photos, questions, whatever. It's been a little bit quiet lately. Perhaps there are a lot of silent lurkers about? New posts keep things interesting.

-abe.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post01 Oct 2010, 16:40

abem wrote: It's too bad there aren't more people posting - stories, photos, questions, whatever. It's been a little bit quiet lately. Perhaps there are a lot of silent lurkers about? New posts keep things interesting.

-abe.
Over the four years I've ran DWF.NU I've noticed some annual trends(based on Northern Hemisphere seasons): slow during early summer, more interest during later summer, a drop in activity in early fall, increasing activity heading toward the New Year, a big burst right after the holidays and another burst near later April early May.

Even at the low points of activity, we are running about 1000% the user activity of that other place. Then again, I have made a point of consistently tweaking the user functions, search engine friendliness and spent money on advertising DWF.NU. I use the money from the few embedded links on the home page, and the ebay search bar, to keep the forum marginally self-sufficient(last month they generated $57 of "revenue" - I'm not making anything off it). I've been staying out of threads lately, both to catch up on repair work that languished over the summer and because I grow weary of being attacked over my management and participation in the forum. ~:( I'm sure I'll bounce back as we settle into fall....I've shipped out more repairs this 1 week, than in any 3 during the summer. :-)

I thought about offering to be Hanno's USA connection, since I have the tools, parts(reeds, old modules,glass) and everything else that would be needed for that activity - except time. :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Post01 Oct 2010, 17:00

retroleds wrote:Over the four years I've ran DWF.NU I've noticed some annual trends(based on Northern Hemisphere seasons): slow during early summer, more interest during later summer, a drop in activity in early fall, increasing activity heading toward the New Year, a big burst right after the holidays and another burst near later April early May.

Ed, do you also notice corresponding trends in sales activity?
- Shaun

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post01 Oct 2010, 17:15

Bad Juju wrote:
retroleds wrote:Over the four years I've ran DWF.NU I've noticed some annual trends(based on Northern Hemisphere seasons): slow during early summer, more interest during later summer, a drop in activity in early fall, increasing activity heading toward the New Year, a big burst right after the holidays and another burst near later April early May.

Ed, do you also notice corresponding trends in sales activity?

Identical - sales, forum activity and repair request all(to me) seem to follow the same pattern.

Makes sense to me: go out in the sun in early summer and forget watch collecting. Get tired of sun and hide inside from heat - think about watch collecting. Get worried/pensive over things not done during summer and ignore watches during early fall. Decide that watches are the least of your foolish habits in winter and go back to them. Reward yourself with a personal gift after the holiday season. One last burst in April after taxes season is over, winter bills are over and the longer days make life seem joyful and fun again. Repeat whilst still above ground. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Members of DWF