It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:47

Hi from Jeremy near Chicago

A great place to make your first posting.
  • Author

Smaug

Hi from Jeremy near Chicago

Post18 Mar 2015, 06:30

Hello all. I'm in kind of a digital watch phase these days, mostly modern Casios, and re-issues of 80s Casios.

Today, I took delivery of a Casio EFD-1000, but someone's been inside of it, and it has a dead battery or worse. From an Amazon seller.

You can see my collection in wrist shots (digital and otherwise) at the photobucket link in my signature below.

I got my first watch in the 80s as a boy: a ladies' Timex analog. Drowned that at a water slide weeks later.

A couple years later, I got a Casio AQ-33 and loved the heck out of that watch. Finally, I broke that one, and replaced it with a Casio databank. The non-calculator, 30 Telememo model in black plastic. (not sure of the model)

After that, I went a good while being "too cool" for digital.

Then, in the late 90s, I got tired of messing around with frequent battery changes on the analogs, and not being able to see them at night, and got a Casio G-Shock DW-5600E. That was my daily wearer for probably 6 years. The battery finally died after about 8 years. Amazingly good watch in almost every regard.

I don't have one at the moment, but my son does, and I wear it for a day from time to time.

Lately, I've been collecting digital Casios, both re-release and new models.

Most lately, I'm thinking of picking up a birth year watch. (1976) and that is about when digitals were first taking off. I'm thinking of maybe a Seiko or Casio. I might be too cheap to end up with one; we'll see.

Here's a pic of my family and I with Casio digitals. (I'm the owner of the white wrist in the foreground) I'm wearing a Casio GD350. Son is wearing the Casio DW5600E, and my wife is wearing the nice little AL-190 Batteryless solar.

As an electrical engineer, I probably have the skills to fix some vintage digitals, but alas, I don't really have the time. The family keeps me really busy. Aside from my wife and son shown above, I have a 3 year old daughter from a previous marriage, and my ex is really bitter and makes my life just as hard as she can. I just got her her first watch for her 3rd birthday, a Timex "Lizards" model. There are two lizards on a plastic disc that replaces a seconds hand.

I have to be careful with my wife. I'd love to give her a watch, but she's Chinese, and in China it is considered bad to give a watch as a gift. They have a superstition that giving a watch or clock reminds people that their time on earth is limited. Too bad!

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this place. Thanks for keeping it up.
-Jeremy
My current collection

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Hi from Jeremy near Chicago

Post18 Mar 2015, 11:22

Welcome my friend..3 cute ones, i've got one of 3.5 years old and she keeps me busy all day when she's at home. :-D

The pink watch was here choice :-D , i bought here a leaning watch with digital and analogue display + animations but it's still to early to give it to her.

:dwf: "willkommen"
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cte

Techie

Techie

Post18 Mar 2015, 12:09

Beautiful pictures, both of you. :grin1: Kasper, I see your daughter takes after you with her nose (same shape and colour as yours :roll: ).

Welcome Smaug . :Hi: Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you get the silver Casio calculator watch you want. I am into my geeky watches with lots of buttons and funky features. The cfx-200 is a lovely piece. 8-)

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post18 Mar 2015, 18:33

BTW I believe the sensitivity on giving a watch or clock as a gift is if it's the recipient's birthday (hence linked to their life). This can be mitigated if they pay a cent or a penny for the item so that it's technically no longer a "gift"

Be patient and keep an eye out. Sometimes the CFX 200 can be had for less

Return to Members of DWF