It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:09

Dynamic Scatter Mode (DSM) Watches-Clocks

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

kq2h

Dynamic Scatter Mode (DSM) Watches-Clocks

Post26 May 2006, 01:26

Does anyone know where I can get an old DSM display to make a nice LCD clock? As a kid I was always fascinated by and old SBLI sign in New York City banks in the 1970's that used a DSM display. Clear glass turning milky white was really interesting to watch. DSM displays would probably have to be custom made today.

tornado

re: Dynamic Scatter Mode (DSM) Watches-Clocks

Post18 Jun 2007, 16:00

Hi,
I see this message is from some time back but in case you are still trying to find answers: I used to supply the displays for large liquid crystal clocks which were made using Dynamic Scatter LC and were as you described. The company that was manufacturing the LCD 'panels' was Ashley-Butler Inc., based in Somerville NJ. They made a variety of panels, including clocks, as well as 1 meter square LCD advertising displays. I was working in the film industry in 1979 and wanted to use their displays in "Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back" (I worked on the special effects in the movie) but Ashley Butler decided to invest their efforts in the LCD temperature sheets and dropped the manufacture of Dynamic Scatter displays- I believe one of the large pharmacutical giants bought up their production of 'baby temperature monitors' then reneged on the deal and they left Ashley Butler pretty bruised - I don't know if they survived but the last I heard they were teetering on the edge of extinction. A 'google search' finds lots of references to Ashley Butlers' patents in DS LC but I can't find anything recent on them.
Regards
Glyn Hall
Cape Town

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches