It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:05

Looking for a LCD / LCD module for the Heuer Chronosplit.

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Looking for a LCD / LCD module for the Heuer Chronosplit.

Post21 Sep 2006, 11:48

Just acuired a NOS Heuer LCD / LCD Chronoplit. But the LCD screen module has leaked, and looks like its totally dead. Does anyone have any leads on finding a new module for this model ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Looking for a LCD / LCD module for the Heuer Chronosplit

Post07 Jan 2007, 12:38

I guess its going to be impossible to find a spare module for this Heuer Chrono LCD/LCD. Im not a LCD expert, but does anyone know if a LCD screen that has bled can be fixed ? Or another LCD screen be transplanted on.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Jan 2007, 23:03

Transplant is doable...problem is getting one with matching contacts on the display matrix - and some early ones were actually glued down like a fused LED display(like on a Pulsar). I recently brought back an Optel stem set, using one that had a good screen, gleaned from another where some fool had forcibly pulled the stem out of the case. I guess as we get further into the LCD era of horology, repairperson's should think about pulling the display matrix from any pieces with collectible potential and keep them organized. Theoretically, you might pop open a watch made today, and find one with a matching matrix layout. A real shame...I see one up on ebay that has this problem -your's?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Jan 2007, 23:44

Wait a minute!!! I know that arm, i've seen it on TV- cue the music :D

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Jan 2007, 00:05

Many thanks for the info Ed. I decided to put it up on eBay. The module looks in a bad way. And the chances of finding a spare module could be slim. Maybe I will kick myself and stumble across a module for it in the future.
Ha, yes its the arm from East Enders. Oh, I forgot to mention, I wore my Tiffany & Co 18k Euro Pulsar calc on East enders, ( the Christmas day episode in the Queen Vic pub ). Only got a quick shot of it on cam. Buy hey 11 million people might of caught a glimpse of it ;-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heuer-Chronosplit-NOS-boxed-LCD-Digital-1970s-watch_W0QQitemZ280068068720QQihZ018QQcategoryZ91471QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280068068720

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Jan 2007, 00:08

This one is a real problem- the LCD is specific to this watch and I am pretty sure it was not used in any other. These early Heuer LCD watches are comparatively easy to swop displays on if you have a replacement panel- I've done a Manhattan, a Senator and the other Chrono-split with the LCD/LED panels. I seem to remember that this one is a single large square panel like the ones used in early ESA modules but none of those displayed like this one does. Sorry I can't help any more.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Jan 2007, 00:15

Thanks for the info Tom. Well I guess if someone has a spare module they will bid. I should of kept the box really for when I find a SS LED Heuer. And maybe the case would be good for LED/LCD Heuer, " the buttons looks the same position ". Darn, why did I list it.... :lol:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post08 Jan 2007, 00:15

I suspect Old Tom is right on this one....
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Jan 2007, 19:20

I have just looked at the Chronsplit on eBay and I am wrong about it using a single large LCD- uses two LCDs (I was probably thinking of the ESA 934.711 module). The top hour/minute one probably wouldn't be too hard to replace, however the bottom one which shows 00' 00' (ie two digits for seconds with an apostrophe, same for hundreths) would be a problem.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches