It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:34

seiko question

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Jem

seiko question

Post23 Feb 2007, 21:32

Hi folks ...I come from the 'other side' :-) of analogue watches ...i literally just signed up and would like to ask a question.....I have just this evening had a bit of a nostalgic feeling that I would like to buy a digital watch (yet this is a totally different feeling to wanting and buying vintage mechanical watches (seiko being my favourite)
Anyway, my question is this...did Seiko ever make a digital watch which had the very dark (black?..sorry if my terminology is a little out) face, and showed the time in red LCD (or should that be LED?)
I love simplicity and just want something very minimal and clean...is there such a watch? I love Seiko and so that would be my first choice but would be open to ideas....anyone willing to give me any pointers on models and where to go and look (not really fond of watch buying on the auction site)
Many thanks in advance

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

re: seiko question

Post24 Feb 2007, 00:25

I don't think they made one in the 70's but they did in the 90's, but if I remember correctly it was one fugly watch (IMO)

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Jem

Post24 Feb 2007, 00:44

Many thanks for the quick response..i appreciate the links!
Regards
Jem

oh, i see what you mean :shock:
Would you have a recommendation for a good looking one that has the black face and red display (mid range price, pref asian make and classy understated, unfussy style about it?)
I am really new to this area, so many thanks in advance if you can help

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Feb 2007, 03:11

If you mean recommend an original 70's LED watch for you to buy that would be a difficult task as there are just so many great watches to choose from, have a look on eBay there's usually loads to choose from on there, just type LED in the search bar and click on jewellery and watches category in the drop down menu next to the search bar then hit search, and have fun searching for something you like :)

P.S., try to find something that's shown working, from someone with a decent feedback rating.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post24 Feb 2007, 04:21

Jem:

Go to www.ledwatches.net/photos.htm and start looking - there are both men's and women's watches there. I am going to make a shameless, personal plug - I have a private selling site www.retroleds.com, and I have probably 100 ladies watches(unlisted as the market is fairly weak for those)f that just need cleaning or a minor tweak. You find something on www.ledwatches.net that strikes your fancy, I or someone else here can probably set set you up.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Jem

Post24 Feb 2007, 13:29

Hi,
I have just seen a Seiko AL-156 5029 A2 solar powered watch on ebay that I like the look of.....however the back light doesnt work. Is that an expensive or even possible job that I could do if I can gets 'parts'..and how would I go about that? Do I need to buy another similar one where the backlight works and use that for spairs?
Sorry to just show up here and start looking for answers..I feel a bit out of my usual sourroundings of the mechanical watch forums where at least I know an average amount.
Thanks in advance

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Feb 2007, 16:48

The backlights on most old LCD's are usually pretty useless anyway, the seller says the batteries were weak so maybe it will work with some fresh batteries :?:

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches