It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:02

70'S TIMEBAND DIGITAL WATCH 230249

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

medavemac

70'S TIMEBAND DIGITAL WATCH 230249

Post03 Mar 2007, 17:10

DOES ANYONE HAVE INFO ON THIS WATCH I KNOW THIS ONE WAS MADE IN FRANCE.ITS IN GOOD CONDITION,AND I HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED TO POWER IT UP. WHATS IT WORTH?,WHAT YEAR['S] WAS IT MADE?I ALSO HAVE AN OLD TIMEX SIMMILAR IN AGE SAME RED FACE DIGITAL OR LCD DISPLAY ITS SQUARE INSIDE THE BAT COVER IS STAMPED K T U 9947020077.I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU MIGHT HAVE THANK YOU DAVE

redled

Techie

Techie

re: 70'S TIMEBAND DIGITAL WATCH 230249

Post05 Mar 2007, 00:31

Most brands of LED watch don't have very high monetary value today. The exceptions are the rare models of name brands such as Pulsar, Hamilton, Omega, and Synchronar. For an LED watch, if it works that's half the battle, but the cosmetic condition of the case is probably just as important to monetary value. Still, if it's not a big name it probably won't be worth a great amount. If it has an unusual or rare style it will be worth more than the run of the mill.

Most poeple who collect LED watches do so not really because of the money, but because they feel that the technology was unique and cool and too short-lived.

If you have a working vintage LED watch that you like and is cool looking that's what the hobby is all about. If you want a large amount of money for it, you'll probably be dissapointed.

There isn't a lot known about the majority of companies that made LED watches in the 70's. Most historical information is available on the pioneering companies mentioned above, but even there there's lot's of missing information. The LED 'era' was very short: 5, 6, 7 years at most. During that time many, many, companies produced LED watches, though the electonics inside them were made by a few well known companies. Most 'LED watch companies' were just buying cases and modules, putting them together, stamping their name on them, and selling them. So there isn't much going on 'behind the scenes' in these companies to research.

Though the LED era itself was short-lived, it is really still going on today in the form of all modern digital watches, because LED is where they all came from. Enjoy your watch.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: re: 70'S TIMEBAND DIGITAL WATCH 230249

Post05 Mar 2007, 03:00

redled wrote:Most brands of LED watch don't have very high monetary value today. The LED 'era' was very short: 5, 6, 7 years at most. During that time many, many, companies produced LED watches, though the electonics inside them were made by a few well known companies.

What is high value? Many think $100USA is a high value, others think $1000. A nice Timeband might fetch $100 or more, depending on condition,box,styling.

Jon Eton compled this wonderful list of module manufacturers
http://www.ledwatches.net/articles/module-brands.htm. John lists 42 distinct entities making the electronics...I think there are 4 maybe 5 that could be added. Admittedly, if you only buy the more popular and know brands, you might only run into these 7: Hamilton/Pulsar/Omega(*same company), Hughes, National Semi, Texas Instruments, Fairchild, Litronix, Epsa/Optel. I didn't forget the Synchronar or Commarore, but their market share was small compared to any of the preceeding companies. And Timex - their market share was pretty good....collectors just don't seem to go for them, despite their fairly high quality(IMO).

* By late 1972 Hamilton and the Pulsar division, were owned by the same corporate entity that owned Omega - it was strictly a "brand against brand" marketing strategy at that point.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 03:24

I had no idea there were so many module manufacturers! It's really amazing that in so short a time there was that much activity. I admit, I haven't been vigilant in identifying module brands i've come across over the years, but just looking through some now I see I have a Collins and an Electronic Arrays, two uncommon ones. (actually, i'm trying to mod the EA to fit a Collins case because the Collins watch is a very cool design, and the EA module works).

I didn't mean to discourage the original poster about the price, it just seems to me that the off-brands haven't been doing too well lately on ebay. Yes, if it's in excellent condition etc. $100 is not out of the question, but I think it would have to be in pretty exceptional condition.

medavemac

Post06 Mar 2007, 03:53

:D THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLY'S I DID NOT ASSUME IT WAS WORTH MUCH,RATHER STUMBLED UPON IT AND WAS CURIOUS ..I HAVE TO SAY IT IS IN NO WHERE NEAR MINT CONDITION.THE BAND IS BROKEN AND THE BODY IS FAIR CONDITION.AGAIN I DO APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY'S.ENJOY WATCH WATCHING......AND HAVE A GREAT YEAR!!!!
DAVE

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches