Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Debate: Round vs. Square

Post09 Jan 2007, 23:33

F.F. I'm a little confused by that "Spaceman" - they say automatic, but it has a visible battery hatch(ok, I guess that is for the light), but it is strictly an anologue,"follow the circle" piece. No where near the allur of a nice Catena Spaceman IMHO (pumpkin dial, brown strap,arrgh!!). This one looks like a rip-off on the Square pre-Spaceman Audacieuse shown to the right here....

I don't think the Roger Talon Lip is the end-al or be-all, but it is a nice example of form and function. No matter how you shape it, analogue hands still run in a circle. Like the sun. 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Jan 2007, 02:48

Fitron Fiend wrote:Round is no, non, niet, nein.......even on analogue anything else is better. I give you............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACEMAN-AUDACIEU ... dZViewItem

or better still anyone remember that 70's style flyback that looked like a car speedo from "Duel"......drool. Sorry Ed even the lip leaves me cold - now can I expect some 'lip' from you :wink:

If you're the winner of that one Fitron Fiend, then you've got yourself quite a bargain. Not only is it lower than the average square spaceman price, it's also the very rare striped backlight one.

Personally, it's the unusual shape of watch cases that is part of the appeal for me, so square, hexagonal, trapezoid, drivers style or whatever, its all good to me :) As for analogues, I love the designs of the Hamilton electrics -Ventura, Everest, Pacer, Thor the lost goes on.... :)
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2007, 03:00

F.F. That IS a nice Spaceman, despite my commentary. It's probably go another 25% higher before it's done.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Jan 2007, 03:08

Doh..i'm so thick sometimes. I thought that auction was over already :oops: Well the clues were all there, such as 'end time', I just didn't see them. I think, with a couple of folk who know how rare it is (compared to the other square spaceman watches), it could double, or more?
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post10 Jan 2007, 04:45

Seer Taak wrote:Doh..i'm so thick sometimes. I thought that auction was over already :oops: Well the clues were all there, such as 'end time', I just didn't see them. I think, with a couple of folk who know how rare it is (compared to the other square spaceman watches), it could double, or more?

You're excused - there are some very intense distractions on that page.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jan 2007, 21:34

I wish I would win that one but I'm not bidding, I am loyal to LED's - azi p's website put me off certain watches that I really wanted by revealling just how rubbish they were - amidas etc and a particular jump hour that turned out to have no jewels and jammed lots. -Thanks again Piotr for a fantastic website.-

Spacemen watches - very very nice but is it round ? I would say no, oval is definately a more pleasing shape to my eye, especially sideways. As for the colour scheme, pure late 60's very early 70's and I love it (and no I'm not colour blind :) )

One thing not discussed so far is bracelet watches a la retroleds wife (ok that's a bangle) but perhaps some of the more modern ones - they skip out the focus point by having no shape to draw attention round/oval/hex/whatever. I don't really rate them but I've only ever seen them on the monitor, never on my wrist. A variant on the bracelet is the type with the "face" as part of the bracelet but again, this draws the eye to it just like a conventional watch. Damn wish I could find some examples to show you but I'm not that up to date on modern watches, I'm just stuck in the past.

One more point, and it may be relevent to the older watches and that is dating of designs. The wristwatch really came into popularity with soldiers during the 1914-18 war as pocket watches were not very convenient for using in trenches - a wristwatch was much handier. This transferred over to civvy street after the slaughter ended and has continued until the advent of mobile phones. It's not really changed it's form (thing on wrist) or function (tells the time), only design.

I reckon many watches could only have been designed in the period they were for social/cultural (at that time) reasons and for example the Spaceman watch is a product of the optimistic spaceman 60's. It would not have been designed before then (Space images of the "commie bogeyman" 50's being different) and unlikely later, (souring of space program etc). Some have dated badly - bulova bigblock anyone? but others have and will continue to be timeless - the Lip is one. I suspect that it's no coincidence that the classic ones are simple and elegent - even if they are round :P . Doesn't matter if its digi or analogue but digi is even more stripped back I reckon. Anything hex/octagonal is most likely 30's or 70's on and I think may never become timeless but rightly or wrongly tied to a specific era and it's connotations.

For anyone who's studied furniture the classics are all very simple, pure designs - bauhaus, le corbusier or Frank Lloyd Wright - timeless. Lip's one of them. I suppose your bog standard Omega is as well :|

Of course I could be rambling here.........hell I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to make :? Just my tuppence worth.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Jan 2007, 00:18

OK where does this one fit in the scheme of things ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gents-12-Hour-Jum ... dZViewItem

Not as nice st the speedometer type but still very interesting.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post12 Jan 2007, 20:00

Yechh, it just looks like a round watch that had half it's face removed from cancer. It may be technically intrigueing but aesthetically I find it repulsive.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Jan 2007, 20:24

I really like the Jean D'eve watch, they are portrayed as a quality manufacturer but on the model i bought (not the Sectora) i was surprised at how tinny and poor quality it seemed

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jan 2007, 04:53

That "half-faced" watch is a "flyback"(hit ebay, you'll find a wide variety) - essentially one or more of the hands only travels half the numbers it would cover on a traditional analouge, and then it "flys back" to start over")...at noon and midnight you have both hands jumping halfway around the dial!
Previous

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches