It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:16

Segtronic FE LCD - LCD is shot, please help

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

mazur

Segtronic FE LCD - LCD is shot, please help

Post21 Jan 2008, 02:19

Hello all.

Last weekend I was browsing on a flea market and on a $10 grab bag I found a FE Segtronic LCD. I was obviously very happy...for a few minutes because as I got in the car and held the watch in my hand the LCD started to turn black, then the usual kaleidoscope of colors :x .

I know this is caused by deterioration of the LC (I have another Optel that has the same problem). Questiion: is there anything I can do to fix it ? How hard is to find a replacement LCD module and is it easy to replace?

Sorry for all the questions but the watch looks so great and retro. I really hoped I could wear it someday. I was going to take a picture but for now I'm including one from the The David Sarnoff collection. Mine is just like that (with a bad LCD).

Thanks.
--
Elias

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

: Segtronic FE LCD - LCD is shot, please help

Post21 Jan 2008, 11:54

Optel watches are great but I do sometimes wonder if they sealed the displays with bubblegum.

I'm afraid that there is nothing you can do to repair a display which has sprung a leak - it's got to be replaced by a working one. Unless someones got a box full of spares somewhere then it's off to ebay to hunt after a beaten up working watch I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, later none stem-set Optel displays (whilst being the same size and having the same digits) have the contacts in a different place and so aren't compatible with segtronics etc.

If you do get a replacement display then it's easy to swap. Take the back off the case. loosen the 3 screws holding the module in place and remove it from the case back. Then you just gently slide the metal clip holding the display in place from right to left until it comes off. The display and polarizer can now be taken out and replaced.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jan 2008, 12:02

I know of no way to restore LCDs.

But the FE type is quite common on ebay (every few weeks). You can get a beaten-up worker for little money and exchange LCDs.
I don't know how the FE model is built, but if it's like the DSM version it is very easy to remove the LCD.

edit: I see digibloke was faster and gave you a better explanation ;-)

edit #2: this one could be right: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330204583085
You could ask for a photo of the inside to be sure - it's easy to open

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jan 2008, 10:17

It'd be a good idea to ask if the display turns black when it's worn as well ;-)

Bit weird that zodiac watch. It's got a timex bracelet on it but it looks like he's selling the original bracelet as a buy it now in a seperate auction. (unless it's a coincidence that he's got an 18mm steel 70's zodiac bracelet at the same time as this watch). Personally I'd have put the two together...

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches