It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:27

How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in here??

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Metaengineer

How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in here??

Post05 Mar 2008, 11:25

Hi all,
I am a rather new member in this forum so forgive me if i ask obvious questions or questions that have been dealt with. I was doing a search in this forum and to my surprise , there is no thread that discuss about the legendary Scientific Calculator watches CFX-40 and CFX-20 !!
I mean , there must have been more than 5 threads about the HP-01 talking about price and value but nothing ever got discussed here ? I think for a functional piece like CFX-40, it deserves to be mentioned and talked about.
Hope to hear more comments about the CFX-40 watch.

Cheerios.
ME

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in here

Post05 Mar 2008, 13:15

I guess it's because this forum discusses rather the very early digital watches from the 70s, mainly LED watches. It's just the way it has evolved, driven by the main interests of if main contributors.

Modern LCDs are also tolerated ;-), but only if they are high end (meaning high quality, high value, great design).

The nerd watches with thousands of buttons, millions of functions and plastic case are discussed at the pocketchalculatorshow forums.
IMHO this is ok - why have 2 places for the same thing? If you want to talk about Casios, better ask there. If you want to talk about LED watches or pre-1975 LCD(DSM) watches, the best place is right here :-)

Metaengineer

: How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in here

Post05 Mar 2008, 18:10

Thanks dude.

But I can only agree with you partially. This is because the title of this forum is "the digital watch forum" and not the "the digital LED watch forum" so as long as analogue watches are not discussed here , any discussion about any digital watch will remain valid and not out of point.

Nerd watch forum do have a bit of post there but not much about functionality of the CFX-40. The CFX-40 is such a unique and interesting piece that I have seen many people lament that it is not in production anymore. Many more can be found to be looking for this watch and Casio is not taking in feedback to reissue this beautiful piece.

I didnt know that this forum focus more on LED and not commendable LCD pieces until now. If it so maintains , then maybe this is not really a site where I can find info on the Casio CFX-40.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in

Post05 Mar 2008, 18:56

Metaengineer wrote:I didnt know that this forum focus more on LED and not commendable LCD pieces until now. If it so maintains , then maybe this is not really a site where I can find info on the Casio CFX-40.

Hold on Metaengineer - this COULD be the place for finding information on your Casio. You might be amazed on the people that come out of the woodwork who have information on that piece. Some folks only drop in every few weeks, so it may take a while. This site is highly indexed by the search engines, so your query is already starting to increase in potential answers.

The site emphasis IS on all digital wtches, but the LEDs were the first electronic digitals, so there is naturally a lot of interest there. The Casios came much later, so they haven't had a chance to become "vintage". And unfortunately, much like a Timex LED(which I personally think is an incredibly high quality item), many have equated high-price with "worthy of praise". Now you've got me wondering about that watch....

Just went look - wow, totally nerdatious(in a good way)!!
Looks like this is a good source of info. http://home.earthlink.net/~kdstaller/KScasio.html
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : How is it that no one talks about the Casio CFX-40 in

Post05 Mar 2008, 19:10

Metaengineer wrote:.... This is because the title of this forum is "the digital watch forum" and not the "the digital LED watch forum" so as long as analogue watches are not discussed here , any discussion about any digital watch will remain valid and not out of point....
That's definitely true, but as I said before: "It's just the way it has evolved, driven by the main interests of its main contributors." So if you start to contribute and others join in or current members become interested, this COULD evolve into other directions too, and finally one day be the best place for the CFX-40, just like Ed said. I always appreciate new dimensions.

So make a start, post every bit of information you have about the watch in this tread, and see what happens. You already put "Casio CFX-40" in the headline, very good, Google will have indexed it very soon :-)

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches