Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Seiko M159-5009 - It's alive!

Post30 Apr 2008, 05:37

Hi everyone,

I bought this non-working Seiko for $5 a few weeks ago.
I sent it to the wizard of Michigan hoping and praying it could be brought back to life and... shazam! - it works!
Here are a few pics of my newest favorite:

I love how it's angled for easier viewing (like my 0624). It makes it more comfortable to wear too. :

Besides the fact that it didn't work, it was missing a few links and the original clasp & buckle. I was able to graft what I needed from another SS band onto what I had of the original band. You can see the difference where the Seiko links meet the donor links, but it's not noticeable when wearing. Not too shabby work for a novice:

I was wondering- when was this manufactured? The serial # is 754285. Does that translate to 1977, May? Or 1975, April? Or am I totally off?

It keeps great time, the light's fine and the stopwatch function is a-ok.
Thanks again Ed - you dah man!

charger105

Guru

Guru

: Seiko M159-5009 - It's alive!

Post30 Apr 2008, 08:13

I believe that serial number translates to 1977.

Nice watch. I like the early Seiko LCDs. What was wrong with it ?

Rgds.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2008, 03:17

Thanks charger 105. I agree, the earlier Seiko's are very cool. Then again, I like many of the '80's Seikos too. But they are more plentiful, so that makes them 'not quite as exciting' to me.

I'm wondering how much this watch was going for back in '77? And how much is it worth now? (Not that I'm planning to sell, just curious.)

BTW - Nothing's wrong with it now but when I bought it, it was not running. What exactly was the problem, I dunno... :-?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post01 May 2008, 15:30

Thanks for the "atta boy" Mike. 8-) Mainly crud, wiping all the display contacts, cleaning all button contacts and replacing the oscillator since it was gobbling the electrions at a frightlful rate. Mike - You see what I mean about it not being that easy to find a 22mm band that fits that case well below the display without that filler piece at the end of the band. OTherwise, it leaves a unfinished looking gap between the case and band. I thought the glass refinishing on your green display Seiko was much more noteworthy....maybe it'll be your "Watch I'm Wearing" for Friday. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 May 2008, 19:14

hi, i have one of these also. it is a m159-5039, ser# 758358. i bought it new around the late 1970's it still works fine, however the chrono function buttons are a little sketchy. i still have the inner box, papers, and all the links. i wear it occasionaly. :-D :-D

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Seiko M159-5009 - It's alive!

Post02 May 2008, 06:14

Clockace - cool! 8-) Glad to hear your M159 is still working. Just curious -do you remember how much you paid for it new?

You're welcome Ed - thank you for fixing it! Yes, I do see what you were saying about the band where it meets the case under the display.
I got lucky that I had an extra band with very similar links to graft on to the original band.

About my Seiko model 0624; I had you ship it to my dad's place and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. And I can't wait to wear it and show it off! :-D

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 May 2008, 07:29

hi, it has been a few years, but i think it retailed for $249. i think i got mine for just under $200 with a discount. i thought that was an awful lot of money for a watch, but i wanted that new technology. peter

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post02 May 2008, 10:48

Thanks Ed.
Do you mean it was discharging the batteries at a great rate, so you replaced the oscillator ? Did you just replace the QC ? Is it possible for one functioning QC to draw more power than another ?

The QCs on these modules are on a sort of "duaghter-board", with a few other discreet components(a trimmer, a surface-mount cap ?) etc. There's also two tiny little fork shaped gold-metal pieces that are electrically connected. I have no idea what these are for.........perhaps part of the temperature compensation that's advertised on the PCB ? Does anyone know ?

Rgds.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2008, 05:38

hi, it has been a few years, but i think it retailed for $249. i think i got mine for just under $200 with a discount. i thought that was an awful lot of money for a watch, but i wanted that new technology. peter

Thanks Clockace.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Seiko M159-5009 - It's alive!

Post28 Aug 2010, 22:59

Nice SEIKO M159-5009 LEDluvr! 8-)
Sorry for the thread interupt, But I am having similar issues as stated:
retroleds wrote:Mainly crud, wiping all the display contacts, cleaning all button contacts and replacing the oscillator since it was gobbling the electrions at a frightlful rate.

charger105 wrote:Do you mean it was discharging the batteries at a great rate, so you replaced the oscillator ? Did you just replace the QC ? Is it possible for one functioning QC to draw more power than another ?
The QCs on these modules are on a sort of "duaghter-board", with a few other discreet components(a trimmer, a surface-mount cap ?) etc. There's also two tiny little fork shaped gold-metal pieces that are electrically connected. I have no idea what these are for.........perhaps part of the temperature compensation that's advertised on the PCB ? Does anyone know ?
Rgds.

I recently acquired a front button SEIKO 0439-5009
It is having massive power drain issues with fresh installed (name brand silver oxide) battery.
The advance setting button (also the same button that operates the light) makes the screen almost go blank, and will barely get the advance operation to work. Also once its set...Within 5 to 10 minutes, the screen goes blank as if there's no more life to the battery. Its a really nice looking watch, and I would like to know if there is a part if replaced that would make it work properly?
It definitely seems like a power drain issue.
Oscillator being the QuartzCrystal can cause power drain? Many thanks to any help...I have the "TECHNICAL GUIDE" printed up, and I'm going to venture into its insides soon after I give it a good read!
Thanks for any insight, & Professional help ;-)
I may end up having to send it to the Wizard, and ask him for a new brain!

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches