It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:43

seiko memo diary/Data-2000 battery replacement?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

cte

Techie

Techie

seiko memo diary/Data-2000 battery replacement?

Post07 Aug 2008, 16:38

hi everybody!! :)

i have just got hold of a seiko memory diary watch. right now i am waiting for the battery to be delivered. however, i have taken the back of the case off and was presented with this message:

"SHORT BATT AND <- POSITION BY TWEEZERS AFTER REPLACING THE BATT"

there is a small diagram next to the message containing an arrow pointing at hole next to the battery.

does anyone have one of these type of watches?? what does this mean exactly lol? i have never come across anything like it. i have the manual, but the battery change section is in Japanese :(

thanks guys.

andy

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: seiko memo diary/Data-2000 battery replacement?

Post07 Aug 2008, 16:45

Take a tweeezer and short from the back of the battery(positive side would be up), to the small contact within that hole. It just resets the brains....nothing really scary, actually fairly common amoungst calcs and other such "more than just a watch" items of that era. 8-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post07 Aug 2008, 16:52

ah... i see!!!! :-D

nice one ed mate. super quick on the reply there. 8-)
[side admin/Ed..I try not to jump in on every question, then again, answers sometimes come really slow in the summer. So a quick answer keeps "us" effective]

i will try it as soon as the battery arrives.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post08 Aug 2008, 05:18

The Pulsar/Alba LCD calculator watch is the same. I found it isn't always necessary.
I think it may only be necessary if the watch get's scrambled.
You could try it without doing the "tweezer reset" and it may be fine.

Rgds,
Andrew.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Aug 2008, 18:15

Word of warning- be really careful when doing a reset on one of these- the reset hole is immediately next to the reception coil and even the slightest scratch with a "pair of pointed tweezers" will damage the coil and stop the watch working properly with the keyboard. I always use a piece of copper wire bent into a U with the ends filed round to reset these, much safer! Correct cell is CR2325 and don't be surprised if it is not a good fit into the battery cavity- they seem to vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer (Renate tend to be large, Maxell about right!).

cte

Techie

Techie

Post08 Aug 2008, 19:35

hello again tom mate! :-D

you always seem to come up with pearls of wisdom when i need them. 8-) thanks for that warning, i will be extra careful. i was told that its took BR2325 batteries though. i have a panasonic one on its way to me. will the br do the same job as cr, or are they completely different?

...and thanks again to you all. i will be trying it without a reset first. i dont even know if the watch works yet... fingers crossed!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : seiko memo diary/Data-2000 battery replacement?

Post09 Aug 2008, 11:57

cte wrote:...will the br do the same job as cr, or are they completely different?...

Not completely, but there are differences:

CR is Manganese Dioxide (MnO2). It is better for higher drain applications, like watches with backlight or alarm.

BR is Poly-carbon Monoflouride ((CF)n). They have a more stable (though altogether a bit lower) voltage over the life of the cell and less self-discharge especially at higher temperatures. They are preferred for memory backup and real-time clocks in computers.

Conclusion: BR will work, but CR is the better choice.

BTW CR2325 are easy to get on ebay

cte

Techie

Techie

Post09 Aug 2008, 17:24

right.... cr sounds the better option then. :-)

i have flicked over the pages in the manual, and in the battery section (in between all the Japanese!) i can make out the characters - BR2325. so originally it 'seems' seiko recommended br for the watch.

my br still hasnt arrived though (from germany)... and at £1.50, i might just order a cr (from inside the uk) and see which one gets here first!

the race is on! ;-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : seiko memo diary/Data-2000 battery replacement?

Post09 Aug 2008, 18:25

cte wrote:i have flicked over the pages in the manual, and in the battery section (in between all the Japanese!) i can make out the characters - BR2325. so originally it 'seems' seiko recommended br for the watch....
Interesting - unless you want >10 years duty at temperatures above 50°C, there's no reason for BR. CR is usually easier to get and cheaper.

Jurdz

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 Sep 2008, 23:56

I have a Memo Diary 1984 (Cal. UW02-0010) and i cant find my case or instructions but i know what you mean about the manual!
if i remember correctly, 90% of it is in chinese!
is there any chance someone can scan the manual for me and post it here or mail me a copy?

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches