SEIKO G -757 Whoopsie

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

SEIKO G -757 Whoopsie

Post04 Sep 2008, 10:46

I had a working G757 but due to careless handling when changing the batteries I unfortunately broke the front LC display screen. :cry:

I managed to purchase a new screen from ebay and thought I could simply replace the old broken one with the new screen to get the watch working again. :-D

This has not proved to be the case, having replaced the screen I have only managed to get a brief faint display on the new LC screen. The battery is new and the light works fine so I don't think there are any issues with power supply. :cry:

I suspect the fault may be with the 'zebra connectors' but I not sure - any tips, advice or ideas?

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

: SEIKO G -757 Whoopsie

Post04 Sep 2008, 13:34

That's a shame. I'm curious as to how you broke the display? Did you drop it on the floor or was the battery too thick?

It might be worth checking that the polarizer (a lightly tinted transparent plastic filter) is still in place over the display. No polarizer = no display.

Was it running with the old broken display or is there a chance that it might have developed another problem during the battery change?

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Sep 2008, 18:25

Did you get the correct screen? There are three different G757 display screens and they are not all truely interchangeable. Irritatingly the technical manual for this watch only lists two of them. A faint display could be a poor connection to the common electrode- download the technical manual from the Seiko Germany website if you haven't already done so as it has a fault finding guide for this fault.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Sep 2008, 22:26

Thanks for all the advice.

How did I break the screen?
I removed the module from the case and when I replace it I was in to much of a hurry, in my haste I didn't positioned the module correctly in the case, I then tried to close the back cover and before I realised my mistake I had cracked the screen. I was surprised how little pressure it took to break the screen.

The watch was working beforehand but having broke the screen I did not bother to replace the battery, the screen had 'bled' and there seemed little point.

I only difference between the new and old screens is the variation in colour on the top left hand counter, I assumed that they would be interchangeable and the different colour scheme was merely to offer customers a choice.

I am going to 'google' Seiko to see if I can find the correct site to downloaded the technical manual from I will then check out the fault finding guide.

Thanks for your help!

vintagewatches

Nerd

Nerd

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Sep 2008, 22:45

Thanks for the Seiko link Kashif.

The link to the ebay listing is the same seller from whom I purchased the replacement screen, I dropped him an email and we did a deal for a single screen as I had no use for 3 of them.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches