It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 18:11

Need a new LCD display

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

moonraker

Need a new LCD display

Post26 Oct 2008, 18:10

I have a thing for early LCDs and have got my hands on this Speidel for next to nothing (some of you probably saw it but rightly wrote it off due to the obvious issue as follows!).

It needs a new LCD panel. Not any easy thing to get hold of i am sure but i want to persevere because i think it is such a great looking watch and put together in such an unusual way (nice lot of exposed wire bonds as well, always good to see!)

Anyway any know where I can get one?

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 317hy2.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 322nj9.jpg[img]
[/img]

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Need a new LCD display

Post26 Oct 2008, 19:29

moonraker wrote:I have a thing for early LCDs and have got my hands on this Speidel for next to nothing (some of you probably saw it but rightly wrote it off due to the obvious issue as follows!).

It needs a new LCD panel. Not any easy thing to get hold of i am sure but i want to persevere because i think it is such a great looking watch and put together in such an unusual way (nice lot of exposed wire bonds as well, always good to see!)

Anyway any know where I can get one?

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 317hy2.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 322nj9.jpg
The only way is to get yourself a watch with the same LCD, but working. This could be inside a totally different (and cheap) watch.
It appears to be a 4-digit LCD. Does it have only 12 connections? Then it must be a multiplexed one.

This reminds me of a very nice Fairchild LCD I once purchased for over 100$, absolutely mint. After a few months 2 segments disappeared intermittently (wire bonds!) and I messed the module up with a repair attempt (there was a protective cover over chip+bonds on BOTH sides of the PCB, and I removed the wrong one, tearing off ALL wires...).
Well, the story has a happy end: finally, after 6 months an ebay seller offered a totally beaten-up Fairchild watch in an absoltely ugly case, but with obviously the same module - and no shipment outside US (I asked). However, he got no bids (starting at 1$) so he took my offer of 10$ including shipment to Germany :-D
Since then, I HATE open wire bonds. Nice to look at, but extremely delicate to handle. And sometimes they become loose just like that.

moonraker

: Need a new LCD display

Post26 Oct 2008, 21:40

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree that its possible that the only way if me getting a replacement lcd is to get another watch but i though it is worth me posting it just to see if someone has got one with a wrecked module (mashed wire bonds ??!!)

Also, as you suggest it has only 12 contacts, as you can see in the photo the "Z" connector thing has a row of 12 carbon blobs. This method of connection seems very similar to other early watches i have seen

I was being sarcastic about the exposed wire bonds!!, i too am amazed they thought it was a good idea not to enclose them, designed-in obsolescence??

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Oct 2008, 00:44

I think you're going to need an Optel display for it. Not great news as it's the same display that goes into these fellas (and they're a real pain to get hold of)...

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/segtronic1.htm

You'll only find this display in watches which are either back-set (like your Speidel) or stem set. The Optel watches with buttons have different connections to the display (although the same digits) and won't work.

Cool watch though.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Need a new LCD display

Post27 Oct 2008, 12:04

digibloke wrote:I think you're going to need an Optel display for it. Not great news as it's the same display that goes into these fellas (and they're ....
Are these LCDs multiplexed?
I always believed (but don't know for sure) the electronics inside them was practically the same as in the earlier DSM models - and the DSMs are non-multiplexed, 24 connections to the LCD, 12 on each side.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Oct 2008, 15:37

Hi Rewolf. The Optel field effect displays do have 24 connections and this Speidel also has 24 connections - 12 top and 12 bottom (not multiplexed).

I've seen a similar backset module in a Sensor LC watch with a different display but I'm pretty sure that Speidel used Optel displays.

One way to find out would be to remove the polarizing filter with acetone and see if it's got the big diamond shaped colon separating the hours and minutes.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post27 Oct 2008, 19:25

Digibloke, you're absolutely right.
On the first picture posted above, the 2nd row carbon connectors lies outside the module, so I didn't notice at first. And if you look VERY close, you can even see both rows of contact pads on the LCD glass. Conclusion: not multiplexed.

moonraker

Post27 Oct 2008, 22:19

Wow what a great set of replies!

Unfortunately most of it went right over my head! (not good considering my former line of work) Anyway am i right in thinking the segtronic jobs had an LCD with sort of chrome plated connections? And is that what you are debating? if so i doesn’t have these connections as i think you have worked out from my bad picture?

So where does that leave me, is that good or bad?

Since posting i have seen another early speidel which looks very similar in the module appears to be attached tot he back plate but it dose not have back setting, it has normal side buttons. Are you saying the lcd form this wont work?

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Oct 2008, 00:46

Hey. If you mean the gold coloured Speidel on ebay at the moment then that is a back-setting watch (the little indented button on the case back puts it into setting mode). That particular one has the same Optel module in it as Ed's Elgin watch...

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2241&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=88

Problem with that Speidel is that the display is toast (so not much use to you at all I'm afraid).

Anyway am i right in thinking the segtronic jobs had an LCD with sort of chrome plated connections? And is that what you are debating?

No - those Segtronics have exactly the same connections/display as yours. The only difference is that your display sits on little conductive rubber connections wheras the segtronics sit on little metal springs. These displays have 24 connections as there's one connection for each segment (23) plus a common connection for the whole display. Modern lcd watches don't need so many connections to the display.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post28 Oct 2008, 10:10

digibloke wrote:No - those Segtronics have exactly the same connections/display as yours. The only difference is that your display sits on little conductive rubber connections wheras the segtronics sit on little metal springs.

Just out of curiosity: this is what the spring looks like in an Optel DSM module - are they the same on the Segtronics FE module?
(BTW: imageshack are making it more and more difficult to post image links without popups...)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Oct 2008, 10:29

Yup. This is from a Zodiac Optel and it looks the same as the dsm watches...

ImageImage

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post28 Oct 2008, 14:57

Notice the large 32KHz Motorola timing quartz...same as on the early Pulsar modules. Motorola must have been THE quartz supplier at the time...

moonraker

Post28 Oct 2008, 20:54

Again great replies, fascinating stuff

I am glad you told me that spiedel on ebay was Bu**ered i just about put in a bid on that, Talking of which, it was quite obvious that the display of my spiedel had gasped its last but that one looked ok to my inexperienced eyes, so how can you tell?

Its just as well this has come up because i was about to bid on this in the hope i could strip it for the display, what do you recon??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

Also i jst got my hands on this good and cheep, what do you think?

item no 220297002538

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Oct 2008, 00:10

The display on that Speidel was blacker than a dark night in a coal mine. That means that it's sprung a leak at some point and is irreparable.

General rule of thumb when buying vintage lcd's:

If the display has any "bleeding", black areas, or turns black when at body temperature then it's stuffed and needs to be replaced. It tends to be cheaper to wait for a good one to come up and pay extra than to buy a duff one and spend loads of time and money chasing after parts (a lesson I've learnt the hard way :roll: ).

That Timex ssq is a great little watch. They don't tend to be expensive but you got a bargain all the same. (I think I would rather have spent the money on a pint with the lady-Speidel though ;-) ).

moonraker

Post29 Oct 2008, 23:26

Ah yes but you assume that i have any kind of rational decision making process when i see a watch i like!!

Its really all a bit of a red mist!

I was saying on the other forum that i am quite new to the digital watch game and taken some quite big risks that luckily for any higher value stuff has paid off (see links).

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img6385id5.jpg

http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img6380if1.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img6374dr3.jpg

To be honest any risks i took where based in lack of knowledge really, don’t think i would have done it now.

anyway if anyone ha a pooped watch with a suitable display the moneys waiting!

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches