It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:39

Any info on Hughes Aircraft LCD watches?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

HobbyHorse

Any info on Hughes Aircraft LCD watches?

Post02 Feb 2009, 19:23

I recently purchased 2 watches on eBay that were incorrectly described as LEDs. When they came, I found out that they are actually LCDs. I'd be pretty mad except I didn't pay much for them, and I think they must be quite rare.

I apologize that I have no way of posting pics, or I'd be happy to. One is in poor condition, and I doubt it works. The other one is OK looking and may work, I need to replace the batteries and find out.

Both are made by Hughes. I can find absolutely no info on Hughes LCD watches, just the LEDs. Both say chronograph on the face. On the back of the better one, it says 'Hughes Aircraft Company', and below that 'Made In Taiwan'.

The other one has the Hughes logo at the top on the face, and the word chronograph on the bottom. The back says USA.

From what I've researched, Hughes didn't sell watches under their own name, except to employees. Like I said, I can find zilch on their LCD watches. Just about everything I read concerns LED watches.

Does anyone have a clue as to their rarity, or just any info about them at all?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Any info on Hughes Aircraft LCD watches?

Post02 Feb 2009, 20:04

Pictures would definately help - could you supply the ebay item number so they can be viewed via the completed listings?

I don't know much regarding the Hughes LCD watches myself although I do have a Timex LCD which uses a Hughes module.

HobbyHorse

Post02 Feb 2009, 20:26

The item number is: 280306556650

Doubt the picture there will be much help. No close-ups and little detail.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Feb 2009, 20:56

They are quite rare, especially if you come across one of the early one that are 32mm across. Unlike National Semiconductor which made tons of them, it appears that Hughes decided they had bigger fish to fry than the highly competitive LCD market.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Feb 2009, 21:07

The pictures are not the best (I already had a sneaky peak) the one with the black band looks the nicer one of the two.

Hopefully some of the other forum members will be able to provide a little more information on them for you.

As far as LED watches are concerned from what I understand Hughes mainly provided the modules for other manufacturers to use. Some Hughes watches where also produced for use as demonstrators and he sold watches to employees through the company shop as well as giving some away as retirement gifts, competition prizes etc.

A couple of photo's here of the Hughes 'branded' watch.

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/hughes3.htm

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/hughes2.htm

HobbyHorse

Post03 Feb 2009, 03:23

Thanks for those links, that's a snazzy-looking watch!

Actually the 'black' band (really it's dark brown) is the worst one. It has bad corrosion on the outside casing, although I popped the back off and the inside looks pretty clean. But the LCD display is leaking in one corner. Not a good sign.

Shame, because that one's my favorite of the two. The silver one LOOKS good, but I have no idea if it works or not. I'll probably have to take it somewhere to get the batteries changed, as I couldn't get the back off myself. Don't know when I'll get to that.

Thanks to all who replied, and any more info will also be appreciated.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches