It is currently 02 May 2024, 05:47

newbe at lcd type watches got questions

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

mr rubytine

newbe at lcd type watches got questions

Post20 Feb 2009, 02:16

Hi, I have been tinkering with mechanical watches and clocks for about 8 years now. I know nothing about LCD watches. How do I determine if a digital watch is not repairable? I have several Vintage :eek: digital watches which do not work when you put in a new battery. I would like to learn some repair techniques. I know these are pretty general questions, but got to start somewhere. Thanks.

charger105

Guru

Guru

: newbe at lcd type watches got questions

Post20 Feb 2009, 15:22

Some things to think about are:

Battery connection. Figure out how the batteries connect together, and to the module, and make sure all contacts (tabs, springs, clips etc ) are clean and making good contact.

Quartz Crystal. If you're getting power to the IC, but the display shows random digits/segments, the QC may need replacing. They are usually 32kHz.

Quits often LCD displays use conductive rubber zebra strips to make electrical contact between the LCD panel and the board. This junction quite often becomes bad. Clean the board contacts and the zebra strips. If people have fiddled with it, hold down clips may have snapped and an uneven pressure between board and display results. Missing digits and segments are seen in this situation.

If there is excessive corrosion in the module from leaking batteries, you will probably have little chance of success.

You will get better responses to your post with specific questions.
Good luck.
Rgds,
Andrew.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: newbe at lcd type watches got questions

Post20 Feb 2009, 19:39

You could also try Louis Zanaoni's Digital Watch Repair Manual - currently on auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190286945742

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches