Water powered watch

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Water powered watch

Post12 Apr 2009, 13:45

Not quite vintage, but from the 80's at a guess, picked up some water powered LCD watches today from a car boot sale, anyone seen one before?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Water powered watch

Post12 Apr 2009, 20:54

I did see a couple of working but untested ones offered for sale on eBay a few months back that went for around £25 - if I remember correctly, I was nearly tempted to have a bid myself just to have a look at them.

I could see them becoming really collectible in the future.

Do you change the water instead of changing the battery? Do yours work? Any pictures?

I remember seeing a 'potato clock' around the same time (early 80s) very funky!!! You would look daft with a potato stuck to your wrist though. :lol:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post12 Apr 2009, 22:51

working but untested :-?

I have most of these working, some have faint displays but I think they'll come to life eventually. How they work... they have three small holes in the side, you run them under the tap and they somehow run on the water. When they dry out, around a couple of weeks or so the instructions suggest, you run them under the tap for a seconds again. Pics coming soon.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post12 Apr 2009, 23:27

Richard - I have a couple of those. I remember some guy was trying to sell one for $1 Million USD a year or two ago, thought it was an incredibly rare prototype. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2009, 22:25

Here's some pics, coming soon to an online auction site near you ;-)

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post14 Apr 2009, 21:36

These are now listed on eBay ;)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/smartwatches

vr2xtd

Post18 Oct 2009, 12:10

I got this one from some junk sales at only HK$2 (around US0.2x) years ago and placed aside, recently I took it out and filled in tap water and it works, :-D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post19 Oct 2009, 15:08

I remember an auction a few years back on ebay, where the guy was claiming it was a never released product, one of a kind and had a million dollar(US) BIN. :lol: I've got a couple of those myself, think I paid in the $30 range for NOS in package. :o
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches