It is currently 03 May 2024, 10:47

Nelsonic pac man watch

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

LRMEV2

Nelsonic pac man watch

Post04 May 2009, 23:40

Hi all, new on here and i am trying to sort out an early mid life crisis!
Im trying to buy all my old watches from years gone by! my first find is the above! possibly my favourite watch as a kid? however there are a few segments of the LCD display missing so cannot tell time on it properly, can this be fixed?
Cheers all
Lee :-D

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Nelsonic pac man watch

Post05 May 2009, 09:20

Welcome to the forum!
Your watch can probably be fixed. Quite probably it's only a contact problem with the "zebra rubber" connectors to the LCD. Cleaning helps. But I don't even know if your watch uses zebra connectors :-?

Your collecting approach is a classic, I guess 50% of the collectors started like that ;-) It doesn't necessarily help stand a midlife crisis, but can end with you collecting all game or calculator or alarm or xxx watches of the 80s - and there are MANY ;-)

LRMEV2

Post05 May 2009, 13:09

Thanks for the reply,
my missus calls it a "mid life crisis" only 36 lol.
so these zebra connectors how do i spot these? black and white stripes at a guess? lol. where are they and how do i clean these? i can tell the hour but not the minutes spot on! a couple of dots from the game missing too but still playable!
Cheers Lee
Oh i just got a brand new Nelsonic Donkey Kong watch but no box! are these worth anything? i know the pacman is!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post05 May 2009, 16:06

Lee:
Welcome to the forum! You buy watches - she can buy purses or shoes or some such. :lol:

The zebra stripe are actually(generally) dull grey with little striping. But electrically they are - one layer electrically conductive rubber, then a layer of ON-conductive rubber, then another of conductive.....like the keys on a piano(frets on a guitar?). Anyway, take back off watch, remove movement(called a module on digital watches) and see if there are screws holding it together or screws that hold down the glass screen. The zebra strips press against contacts on the circuit board and nearly invisible contact points on the back side of the glass. Before removing the zebra strip or strips, it is suggested you mark at least one end with a colored permanent marker and mark the board to match. Then clean the strips and the contacts on the circuit board and the glass with rubbing alcohol(surgical spirit in UK) and reassemble, taking care not to touch any of the contact surfaces with your fingers, to avoid body oil.. Don't use general purpose electrical cleaner - most conduct electricity which will give you a real mess - a bunch of intermittently crossed-connections. :x :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LRMEV2

Re: : Nelsonic pac man watch

Post05 May 2009, 18:37

retroleds wrote:Lee:
Welcome to the forum! You buy watches - she can buy purses or shoes or some such. :lol:

The zebra stripe are actually(generally) dull grey with little striping. But electrically they are - one layer electrically conductive rubber, then a layer of ON-conductive rubber, then another of conductive.....like the keys on a piano(frets on a guitar?). Anyway, take back off watch, remove movement(called a module on digital watches) and see if there are screws holding it together or screws that hold down the glass screen. The zebra strips press against contacts on the circuit board and nearly invisible contact points on the back side of the glass. Before removing the zebra strip or strips, it is suggested you mark at least one end with a colored permanent marker and mark the board to match. Then clean the strips and the contacts on the circuit board and the glass with rubbing alcohol(surgical spirit in UK) and reassemble, taking care not to touch any of the contact surfaces with your fingers, to avoid body oil.. Don't use general purpose electrical cleaner - most conduct electricity which will give you a real mess - a bunch of intermittently crossed-connections. :x :x

Thanks for that! sound more than i can handle to be honest! :-?
is there anyone i can send it to that can do the job?
Thanks again buddy,
Lee ;-)

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches