seiko lcd

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

seiko lcd

Post06 Oct 2009, 06:02

i'm not usually into lcd's, but i just picked up an early seiko cal 0624-5009, yellow, hr, min, sec display. the display has a slight olive hue to it. it worked, but was missing segments on the secs and hr digits. i opened it up[that was interesting, you press 2 flat spring sections located between the lugs and the whole assy comes out, including the front glass]. i figured the zebra contacts might have oxidation on them, but when i pulled the lc screen saw that there were actual contacts for each segment. there was oxidation on all of them. i could plainly see where the gold contacts touched the segment contacts. cleaned all of them off with isoprop alch and reassembled. works beautifully. the yellow case and bracelet is near mint. i don't believe this was worn very much. :-D :-D peter

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: seiko lcd

Post06 Oct 2009, 06:50

Go on then lets see a photograph or two ;-)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post06 Oct 2009, 11:32

The 0624 is a nice, very early Seiko Peter. Quite collectible.
I don't think I've seen a gold one before.

I got a SS one of these at a flea market for $2, but alas I couldn't get it to work. The SS model has a yellow tint over the display. They must've used an olive tint on the gold version.

Yes, a picture would be nice !

Rgds.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post07 Oct 2009, 00:12

What condition is your non working ss? Is it for sale? I have a beat up one of these knocking around somewhere, with a perfect module ;-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Oct 2009, 03:08

Those are very nice. I have a gentlemans F441-400A here for repair right now, which is super thin, 3.5 mm from case back to glass front! Alas, it is missing two lower segments on one charecter - upon opening I found the glass matrix actually has a chip out of it. And just the thinnest zebra strips, probably no more than 1 mm square by a centimeter long.

I do save those kinds of items if they are working, so if you have an odd request, keep that in mind fellas. I've been bad about writing down the model numbers in the past, but have been getting much better as time has gone by. I have one of the Seiko F03304010 movements in perfect shape, with that olive tint. Shame the case was such a dogged p.o.s.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post07 Oct 2009, 05:11

Hi Richard.
From memory, the watch case and band is in good shape. However, I think the glass is chipped and scratched.
If you’re interested, maybe I could trade it for something. Or conversely, is your module for sale ;-) ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post07 Oct 2009, 09:35

ooops sorry, just dug it out and it's an 0634 not an 0624 :oops:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: seiko lcd

Post11 Oct 2009, 08:44

clockace wrote:i'm not usually into lcd's, but i just picked up an early seiko cal 0624-5009, yellow, hr, min, sec display. the display has a slight olive hue to it. it worked, but was missing segments on the secs and hr digits. i opened it up[that was interesting, you press 2 flat spring sections located between the lugs and the whole assy comes out, including the front glass]. i figured the zebra contacts might have oxidation on them, but when i pulled the lc screen saw that there were actual contacts for each segment. there was oxidation on all of them. i could plainly see where the gold contacts touched the segment contacts. cleaned all of them off with isoprop alch and reassembled. works beautifully. the yellow case and bracelet is near mint. i don't believe this was worn very much. :-D :-D peter

what an excellent find! (imo) probably one of the best quality digital watches ever.every aspect of its design , styling, and finish puts it at the top . that yellow lcd is beautiful.
what is the bracelet number on yours? there were two model designs,both with a subtle difference.i would say ,being among seikos first watches ,they must have put every thing into it ,to produce a stunning watch.very much sought after, and considered almost impossible to find in new condition.
any pics?

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Oct 2009, 06:34

#on the springbar ends looks like either R229 or B229. there is a letter B on the clasp. will try to get photos posted soon.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Oct 2009, 03:26

i finally got a photo of the seiko. only one, but i have been having a time figuring out how to create a gallery. i will add more later. it is on the user gallery part of the photo gallery. thought i would post it there so it doesn't get lost as the thread moves along. :-) peter

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Oct 2009, 06:11

not sure if anyone is able to find it, but it also ended up on the modern lcd album :oops: peter !@@!

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2009, 06:51

That's a beauty Peter. My stainless one has a different band though.

To make it easy for everyone, the iamge can be found here:

http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... 4&pos=-351

By the way, may I ask what you 'picked it up' for ?
Rgds.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2009, 14:03

Yummy, I love those yellow LCDs.
And the superscript seconds are very nice detail.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2009, 18:55

That's one of my favorite old Seikos - you got yourself a good catch there clockace. Here's mine.......

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Oct 2009, 19:58

beautiful watch. perhaps one of the worlds most elegant,fluid designs on any watch,regardless of price.quality throught is one of "over engineering" something you dont see today.now things are built to a budget often squeezing real quality.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Oct 2009, 20:05

i would like to thank you all for your compliments. you all are right, it is a well put together piece. as time went on seiko lost some of that due to mass production. with this piece and my s/s M159 chrono that i have had since new i am very happy with my lcd collection, which consists of these 2 pieces. peter :-D

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches