Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Booby Trapped! I've Been Tricked!

Post07 Jun 2010, 03:42

Ok,

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I have a pair of Fairchild LCD watches with Tritium backlighting, which after 30 years has dimmed to a pale dim glow. After hearing about th availability of modern Tritium sources, I thought it might be a good idea to see if the Tritium source could be updated.

Ok, first question was how to access the Tritium beta source?

Here's the view from the front of the module:

Hmm, not too promising. No apparent way to access the Tritiium lighitng from the front. Here's the view from the back:

Ok, that seems promising. There's a sticker labelled "3H" with a chartreuse sheen to it. That seems like the place to go! I wonder what's under the sticker....

Peel back the plastic sticker and...

WTF. What's that little silvery rectangle? Oh no!...

Here's a closeup view of the carnage:
Enlarge (3600x2400): http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5618 ... 0x2400.jpg

No doubt about when this chip was manufactured (Copyright '77):

%$@*&$%#@!!!

I've been fooled! On one hand, the LED watch was the beginning of the microelectronic era. That's a good thing for sure. On the other hand, it was the beginning of an era where the end user was not only not encouraged to tinker, repair, and service his or her own gadgets but is actually discouraged from it. Ack. As punishment for wanting to tinker with the Tritium backlighting, they tricked me into destroying my watch! The bastards.

<RANT>
On one hand, the modern microelectronic has brought us all sorts of new capabilities and wonderous new creations. On the other hand, I don't welcome the mindset that it's ok for companies to design and engineer products specifically NOT to be repaired or serviced. Not cool. This is a glimpse of the beginning of the new era where users are viewed as mindless sheep, destined only to be buyers and consumers rather than tinkerers and innovators. There will be a cost to this down the road, I am certain.
</RANT>

-abe.

morelite

Techie

Techie

: Booby Trapped! I've Been Tricked!

Post07 Jun 2010, 04:48

OUCH,That really sucks

Now that it is officially dead did you dig into it any deeper?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jun 2010, 09:46

That looks VERY familiar to me!
The same happend to me with my Fairchild module some years ago, only that I removed the label for other reasons AFTER I had taken the module apart and seen the black plastic lid on the other side - I was sure the chip was underneath the black plastic like it always is...

After about 1 year of ebay searching I found a replacement module in a really ugly and totally beaten up fairchild watch (different watch, same module) - selling to US only. It got no bids. I offered the seller $10 for the watch, told him he could keep the bracelet and just put the rest into an envelope and send it to Germany. We agreed at $15 (incl. shipping). The replacement module was absolutely identical and is still working perfectly.
Phew - that was close....

Nevertheless, the Tritium vials are easily accessible. The PCB is only snapped in into the black plastic, easy to release wih a small screwdriver, se 2nd photo above.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Jun 2010, 16:35

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jun 2010, 20:07

Sorry to see your plight Abem... :cry:
Hopefully you'll find a donor module in the not too distant future.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Jun 2010, 00:38

J Thomas,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Here is a closer view of the left side of the chip around the location of the charge pump circuit. I'll have to take your word for it since circuits are more mysterious to me than Mayan Hieroglyphics:

Here's another oblique view of the carnage. The wire bonds look like bent-up clothes hangers from closeup:

Threads are meant to be hijacked - they are like rivers, they will flow in whatever direction they choose.

There's another Fairchild replacement on eBay now for 5 bucks which I think I'll try to grab. If it works, then this little experiment will have been worth the price of a burger + fries.

-abe.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post08 Jun 2010, 19:51

Hey, if you really like the case, there are Commodor LED modules that will drop right in. Trick is finding one of the rare ones that don't use magnifiers(red film over display, as they are too thick, due to the "bug eyes" on the front.
So you end up with clear glass, with a red face module behind it. Like so...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Booby Trapped! I've Been Tricked!

Post08 Jun 2010, 19:57

abem wrote:Threads are meant to be hijacked - they are like rivers, they will flow in whatever direction they choose. -abe.

Don't go diverting the river...it will kill everything downstream. :lol: But seriously, let's try not to get too far offtrack before starting a new thread....you can alway put in a link back to the "parent" thread. 8-)

I am definately using that qoute on another forum I belong too. !@@!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post08 Jun 2010, 23:11

J Thomas wrote:.... but I'd like to post on the results of your wire pull test
M:)W:)M (sorry abem, couldn't leave that comment uncommented...)

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Jun 2010, 00:53

Oooh, that is nice to know that I can use Commodore modules. I do like the faceted gem style case so that may be a good way to go.

Hopefully I won't be doing / failing any more wire pull tests anytime soon. One was quite enough.

-abe.

p.s. I'll try to keep my discussion threads from looking like those broken and tangled wire bonds. It's probably tough enough to keep the forum in order without the unruly mobs throwing spaghetti into the works.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Jun 2010, 01:28

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jun 2010, 01:29

abem wrote:Oooh, that is nice to know that I can use Commodore modules. I do like the faceted gem style case so that may be a good way to go.
I don't know which case style you have, but there is only one Fairchild LCD module that size/shape/description, so whichever style you have.... Maybe you have the nice rectangular one....the running seconds next to the time looks so nice in that case, IMO.

"Wire pull test" - you guys are cruel.
http://www.siliconfareast.com/wptbst.htm

NExt time, just snapp the circuit off the outer casing by that little hoop at the top. The one you've certainly discovered(more cruelty :twisted: )

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Jun 2010, 07:07

Ed,

Actually, I have both styles - the faceted style and the square Omega style. I agree with you totally that the running seconds are nicely framed in the square one. I was actually thinking that your neat LCD to LED conversion trick would look super using the square Omega style case - a "poor man's Omega" since it's doubtful that I'll get my hands on a real one anytime soon!

Fairchild LCD with Omega styling:
Enlarge (3600x2400): http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4962 ... 0x2400.jpg

Front View:
Enlarge (3600x2400): http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/433/ ... 0x2400.jpg

-abe.

p.s. If you're interested in getting one of these for yourself, the seller (rportfie) has a stash of these that she has been selling lately on eBay. They tend to go for $20 to $40 in mint condition with the boxes, tags, instructions etc. If you see my photos in her eBay listings, it's because I sent her a batch of images to try to help her out. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way other than having bought two watches.
Last edited by abem on 09 Jun 2010, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jun 2010, 19:15

NICE PICS there Abem. I have always liked this design, much like the Omega LED case style. You're doing a better job of selling these than the ebay seller. I think I"ll bid..... I hope she gives you your cut. ;-) :lol:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jun 2010, 23:23

I thought a thread with title "Bobby trapped" deserved at least one listen to this lovely song that pays homage to being "booby trapped".

ZZ Top - Pearl Necklace
http://www.zkouknito.cz/video_47639_zz-top-pearl-necklace

Beats your wire-pull test anyday.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jun 2010, 23:24

morelite wrote:...Now that it is officially dead did you dig into it any deeper?

Photos in this posting: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=24960#24960

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Jun 2010, 22:12

This misadventure has a happy ending - my $5 eBay replacement works just fine, so this watch is back up and running.

It's nice that these modules have easily replaceable LCD displays so it was a snap to mix-n-match the replacement board with the original display since the replacement display had a bit of liquid crystal leakage. I wish more modules (Pulsar, cough, cough) were built that way.

I have some replacement Tritium coming soon so it should be fully refurbished back to its original luminous state again before too long.

-abe.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jun 2010, 22:37

I have some replacement Tritium coming soon so it should be fully refurbished back to its original luminous state again before too long.

Looking forward to it. BTW - where did you find the replacement Titium in the correct sized vials?

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches