LCD Re-Tritification

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

LCD Re-Tritification

Post19 Jun 2010, 07:47

Thanks to the miracle of the Internet and our postal system, I just got my hands on a small set of Tritium vials for the purpose of re-illuminating the Tritium backlights on a pair of 1970s LCD watches.

For one of the watches, I went with your standard green. For the other, I got a set of tiny tritium vials in the colors of the rainbow. Here is the result:

Here are the actual tritium vials behind the LCD (I'm missing one red one). They're incredibly tiny at about 5mm long by a little over 1mm in diameter - about the size of a grain of rice. They're also ridiculously expensive at about $7.50 each! Still, the effect is rather cool and unique. Over 10 years, that's just 75 cents / year (rationalization process kicks into turbo mode).

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: LCD Re-Tritification

Post21 Jun 2010, 12:56

COOL 8-)

Great job Abe.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: LCD Re-Tritification

Post21 Jun 2010, 14:07

Looks cool 8-)

How did you remove the old vials from the tray (hopefully without breaking them)?

abem wrote:...They're also ridiculously expensive at about $7.50 each!...
Do I understand correctly: $7.50 per vial? So that's $67.50 for the watch pictured? :eek:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post21 Jun 2010, 15:43

Very cool. Who cares about money, the world is ending in 2012 !?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2010, 19:31

I see you've been busy Abe. In addition to "how did you remove the old vials?" I am wondering what did you use to secure the new ones? Regular glue? I'm guessing anything else would be too strong and not allow you to remove them again 10 yrs later....

On a side note: Is the watch pictured a Barry Manilow or Liberace fan?? :lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : LCD Re-Tritification

Post21 Jun 2010, 19:39

LEDluvr wrote:... In addition to "how did you remove the old vials?" I am wondering what did you use to secure the new ones?...
Looking close at the photo I'd guess transparent adhesive tape on top of the vials.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jun 2010, 20:11

The vials were originally secured in the tray with what looks like contact cement so it was simple to peel them away. Rewolf wins the award for amazing observational accuity. Impressive! Yes, for now, I just positioned all of the little vials against a strip of scotch tape. I thought I might need to tweak the positioning, so went with a temporary solution - when I get around to it, I may glue them for a more secure solution, though it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Yes, you're right about the cost - I spent three times the cost of the watch on the Tritium. Completely ridiculous, yes. Would I do it again? Yes.

-abe.

p.s. You can think of it as either a "rainbow" or as a "spectrum" watch, depending upon your sensibilities. Personally, I prefer to think of rainbows as "public domain" rather than having been co-opted by this or that particular subgroup. Here's a sunset rainbow that I managed to catch this weekend (Saturday): http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9995 ... 8x1024.jpg

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jun 2010, 00:33

You can think of it as either a "rainbow" or as a "spectrum" watch, depending upon your sensibilities. Personally, I prefer to think of rainbows as "public domain" rather than having been co-opted by this or that particular subgroup.

True enough.. rainnbows have been around a long, long time.
On this planet anyway. :-D

I really do like how the watch came out - I'd just opt for the green or blue myself. I'd like to get a Fairchild and do the same someday.
You're a pioneer Abe! (And a good photographer to boot.)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jun 2010, 10:11

Looks great Abe. The cost is huge...........but I'd probably do the same if I had one of these models !

Can you see any effect in daylight, or is it only evident in the dark ?

Rgds.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jun 2010, 00:06

The effect is only visible in the dark. It's bright, but only by phosphorescent standards, not electroluminescent standards.

-abe.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Jun 2010, 19:43

Wear that watch through airport security or somewhere else deemed "sensitive" and you probably have enough micro-Curies of radioactives to attract the attention of the Men in Black from Homeland Security!

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post24 Jun 2010, 01:51

Old Tom wrote:Wear that watch through airport security or somewhere else deemed "sensitive" and you probably have enough micro-Curies of radioactives to attract the attention of the Men in Black from Homeland Security!

No problem here, I never had a problem with these items and many more.

The key chain glow tube has the big 5mm x 30mm tube in it and the titanium flashlight has three orange vials like abe used in it.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Jun 2010, 03:12

i believe the reason for the glass tubes is to prevent any radioactive leakage. same with bell&ross watches. peter

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jun 2010, 05:02

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post24 Jun 2010, 22:15

Jeff,
What you have there is the Spy005 and the one I pictured is the Spy007 model. The 007 model is all titanium and has a Seoul P4 LED emitter.
Both are custom made by Dave Livingston in Pennsburg PA. Dave goes by Data on Candelpower forums.

Here is a little more info on these lights; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=183053

I had a black version like yours (no. 32) but sold it after buying a second 007 model.
The 005 models had a parasitic battery drain that would drain them even when not used. It was a problem in the downboy converter used in them. The newer electronics in them don't have that problem and are much brighter and more efficient.
You should see the newest model he has in the works, it called the 007 tri-V.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jun 2010, 22:49

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jun 2010, 00:29

Jeff,
You can get the CR123 cells cheap through Battery Station at $1.60 each or get a set of R123's (rechargeables).
http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

I don't think Dave does the upgrades but he will provide the info on who does. Wayne Y. at the Sandwich Shoppe provides that service. He is the one that designs and builds the electronics in these lights along with many others.
The upgrade is rather expensive but includes the upgraded LED too. IIRC I think it is about $165.

Those two little milled slots by the knob where made for us to install tritium vials into. The vial on the knob in my pic was a separate piece I made myself and installed in the knobs recessed area.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jun 2010, 01:06

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jun 2010, 01:36

J Thomas wrote:... I'll just go over to Harbor Fleight (corrected pronunciation) and pick up a few more of the freebie 9LED pocket lights...

PLEASE don't buy such rubbish :roll: .

IMHO currently the best bang for buck ratio has the ITP A1 EOS flashlight (CR123A battery, NO parasitic drain). Get one of these and you'll be happy - guaranteed :-D
Lithium batteries are much better for seldom-used flashlights because of their low self-discharge and because the don't leak.
But if by all means you don't want a CR123A-powered flashlight: consider ITP A2 EOS (AA) and ITP A3 EOS (AAA), but they're not as bright as the A1.
They cost around $25 and are perfect EDC (every day carry) lights.
Available at http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a.html and many others...

And if you want it as small AND powerful as possible: 4sevens Quark Mini CR2 - in the past 3 months I purchased 9 of these for me and friends...

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jun 2010, 01:59

Good choices there rewolf, are you a CPF member too?

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jun 2010, 02:02

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jun 2010, 09:40

morelite wrote:Good choices there rewolf, are you a CPF member too?
Lurker only, AFAIR I never registered.My flashlight addiction comes in "bursts" when something new is on the market. Started with Inova (T1/T2/T3 TIROS), then several Fenix, some Zebralight, 4sevens, ITP.... I had countless LED flashlights, but all of them either sold or given away. I try to keep not more than 3 or 4 lights (EDC keychain, 2 in car [flood for head, plus a thrower], one at home). Keychain had been Fenx P1D CE Q5 for over 2 years, recently switched to 4sevens Quark Mini CR2 Titanium (now on LiFePO4 rechargeable).
You see I never went into the really expensive or large flashlights ;-)

@ Jeff: US$25 is not "a lot of money for an LED flashlight" ;-) ;-) But I see you're not an addict (yet?).

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches