It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:19

Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild?

Post05 Aug 2010, 17:22

I have come across some ads in a few magazines for a Sensor Laser 220 and a Sensor Laser 440. But other than in the ads I have not seen ANY reference to these watches anywhere else on the internet. Did they really exist? Were they just common LCDs that over time (get it? :-D) have gotten lost in the glut of LCDs from the 70s? Does anyone have one? Just curious...
- Shaun

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild?

Post05 Aug 2010, 17:32

The 220 is fairly common - no real features or styling that set them apart from the pack. But nice watches regardless. The 440 is pretty sharp(if you go for the bling)! :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Aug 2010, 17:53

Haven't seen any of these yet, but that means nothing. The 440 is very nice - if only it were SS instead of gold...

Interesting naming, quite misleading, as both watches have neither a Sensor nor a laser of any kind.
The Tritium backlight they feature was also used in other watches (see here or here or here), I'd like to know if the claim "America's first digital watch that glows in the dark" is actually true.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post05 Aug 2010, 19:19

Interesting naming, quite misleading, as both watches have neither a Sensor nor a laser of any kind.

I agree rewolf, but that's the (sorry) state of advertising.
IMO, technically they can say that and not be lying becasue of the first sentance in the second paragraph: "The laser 220 uses laser beams and and advanced display technology in it's manufacture."
Of course, the watch doesn't actually use laser beams, but they were used in the manufacturing process. Nothing to get excited about these days, but it was a "BFD" back then and sounds so futuristic and modern. As you know, just the fact that it was an LCD watch was quite impressive... back then.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2010, 22:53

i had one of those back in the late 70'-early 80's. they had a tritium backlight. there was a lot of flap about the radioactive danger[maybe hysteria?] then and they went away in a short while. i don't think much more was done with the tritium backlight after that until ball watch came on strong in the 90's with their sealed glass tubes for the hands and markers. even then there was a lot of governmental regs involved before they were finally able to import into the usa. peter

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Has anyone actually seen one of these in the wild?

Post05 Aug 2010, 23:10

LEDluvr wrote:Of course, the watch doesn't actually use laser beams, but they were used in the manufacturing process. Nothing to get excited about these days, but it was a "BFD" back then and sounds so futuristic and modern.
The Pulsar promotional video recently put on youtube (too lazy to provide a convanient link as I usually do ;-) ) also mentions the LASER BEAMS used to cut the ceramic carrier substrate. Yes, Laser was a big thing at that time (especially in movies...).

clockace wrote:.. there was a lot of flap about the radioactive danger[maybe hysteria?]
Hysteria, to some extent. Unless broken, they are absolutely harmless. And if broken, still harmless until ingested or breathed in. BUT: if you spread tritium tubes to the public in huge numbers, you can never guarantee that not some of them get broken and ingested or inhaled. I guess that's why they disappeared.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post06 Aug 2010, 00:29

i had one of those back in the late 70'-early 80's. they had a tritium backlight. there was a lot of flap about the radioactive danger[maybe hysteria?] then and they went away in a short while. i don't think much more was done with the tritium backlight after that until ball watch came on strong in the 90's with their sealed glass tubes for the hands and markers. even then there was a lot of governmental regs involved before they were finally able to import into the usa. peter

I remember my mom had one of these when they were all the rage. I loved to look at it in a darkened room or under the covers. My poor mom - whenever she couldn't find her watch she learded all she needed to do was look in my room. :oops:

I also remember those 'glass tube' 90's era dive-watch models from Lux ? I always wished that instead of a vial sitting on-top of the watch face, that they would have made glass containers in the shape of numbers and fill them with the tritium. Or maybe make numbers 'cut-out' from the face and have a flat tritium container behind each one giving a similar effect.

It would have made a better looking watch IMO....

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Aug 2010, 01:25

you are maybe thinking of the brand called Luminox? they are still around. and the Ball watch co has come pretty close to making the numbers, but they are made up of segments like digital #'s. they advertise theirs as 25 time brighter than the super-luminova used. i think that co. and Luminox were the ones that succeeded in overcoming the gov't restrictions to a degree. peter

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post06 Aug 2010, 02:40

Yes clockace - Luminox was it. I couldn't remember the name exactly :oops: ...... must be due to wearing a radium dial watch when I was a kid. LOL / JK !

I'm not much of an analogue fan but do you have any pics of these Ball watches? Do you own one?

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Aug 2010, 07:41

no, i don't have one-----yet. they have a very nice collection. well made-swiss mechanical. american owned co. reasonable prices for what you get. www.ballwatchesusa. that will bring up various links. peter

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post08 Aug 2010, 04:47

Thanks for the link Peter. I'll check it out. :-D

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches