It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:11

Casio AL-180

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

nikonad

Casio AL-180

Post28 Oct 2010, 02:59

Hi to everyone! Here is my story: couple of days ago I've purchased this nice watch, just because it's pure retro look reminded me of those good old days. ;-) It was brand new, had pinchy metal strap which I didn't like, so I've replaced it with Casio resin one. it's thin, lightweight and very comfortable for daily wear.
Afterwards I've checked Casio website, and haven't found this model in their production line, but it was mentioned in the "milestones" section as 1987 Year model! :eek: This very fact made me so curious that i've googled a bit more and discovered that there are tons of fake AL-180-s around. Well, then I've opened it, and examined the internals:
As you see, the metal cover has some red stamped number "C 36" on it and also the round sticker with "Do not use CR type battery instead of GC type" The battery is fixed with small metal clip that is welded to it in two tiny spots. Clip has CASIO logo on it and engraved text: "No(0)JEWELS UNADJUSTED JAPAN UP(+)". Everything looks pretty much qualitative. I have even removed the battery, and the watch was working anyway despite the fact that it was lying face-down on the table for couple of minutes.
It seems to me that this one is the real thing, it's crafted too fine for the knockoff, isn't it?

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

: Casio AL-180

Post28 Oct 2010, 10:18

Hi. Looks fine to me - The knock offs which were being sold on ebay a few years back used an AG8 battery wheras the originals should have a 2016. Also the modules were completely different and yours looks to have the correct module. Cool watch - old casios are great :-D

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post28 Oct 2010, 19:07

Hi nikonad,
I bought one of these on ebay a few years back - it's still running fine today. This one looks like a legit Casio re-issue.

nikonad

Post28 Oct 2010, 21:41

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys! Now I feel myself as the worthy owner of the real vintage watch 8-) .
I was kinda unsure first, because I bought it in a small watch section of some supermarket in Freetown, Sierra Leone. (that's where I'm working now for over a year). They had just this one Casio for sale, with original blue price tag, proudly placed next to the bunch of fake Rolex and Omega watches ;-). Paid $33 plus $1 for extra Casio resin strap, not bad at all if it's genuine, huh?

Here's one more pic with removed plastic insert:

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches