I can't believe I just fix my new Seiko 0634

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

I can't believe I just fix my new Seiko 0634

Post02 Sep 2012, 07:50

When I first saw this watch from one of the members, I knew I need to have one.
I had no luck getting one untill last week at the Flea market at Kobey,s Swapmeet In San Diego CA.
I spot the watch from the corner of my eye and my heart started racing, I got it right away before asking for the price.
When I asked, the seller said, you can have it for 5 dollars. was this my lucky day or what?

Later I installed new bateries and the watch was dead, I found out later that only the light worked, well at least my investment was low.
Two days later thinking I had nothing to loose I took the watch apart and discover residue of a past batterie leakage. I gave the module a bath with the display removed
in a mixture of Lime-a-way and vinager for 20 minutes and brushed the solder joints to get rid of stubborn oxidation, then I gave two baths in destilled
water and dry with low preassure air and let it sit for an hour, I put it together but some segments where missing, I took the module appart again and adjusted the contacts
from IC to the display clean and dry everthing, put it back together installed batteries and came back to life before my eyes.
I'm a happy man.
Restoration will follow, the case is in very good condition few scratches but not deep, I'm going to be carefull with this baby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Re: I can't believe I just fix my new Seiko 0634

Post02 Sep 2012, 09:42

What an excelent find for $5 and well done for bringing another old treasure back to life - it sure is a great feeling :-D

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post02 Sep 2012, 12:20

yeaah only flea markets could give you such a catch. But you need the time to visit them :-D

nice catch
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Sep 2012, 10:14

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with this watch now that is working, it was scary taking the module appart
specially removing the display, first time I do this. I was specting zebra stips for the conectors not real metal
contacts potruding from the MOS-IC. the Changeover switch mechanism is olso tricky and delicate.
very well made module, all contacts gold plated and I like how easy this watch is to take appart.

I had been lucky at the flea market, I got my first LED watch there. The rest is history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Sep 2012, 18:18

Last night I did a little refinishing on my Seiko, I wasn't bad to start with but now it looks
great.
Next time I will do the Crystal. I don't want it to look like new then I'll not going to wear it.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Sep 2012, 16:55

Excelent result, beautifull Seiko! (one of my favorites with top-buttons, and i love this specific steel-black bracelet that comes with this specific model -havent seen it on others yet-)

Good find, keep golddiggin'!

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Sep 2012, 04:26

seicitizitch wrote:Excelent result, beautifull Seiko! (one of my favorites with top-buttons, and i love this specific steel-black bracelet that comes with this specific model -havent seen it on others yet-)

Good find, keep golddiggin'!

Thanks, I really like this watch, is one of my favorite Seikos. I wear this watch a lot. I have my sight on one more that I think
is a nice one too, you will agree. Photo courtesy of the Digitalwatchlibrary

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 May 2013, 10:59

Phasar66 how did your 0634-5019 crystal restoration go? I recently acquired this same watch, overall condition looks like an 8 out of 10 (I'll post pictures when I receive the watch) and in the picture it did show some chipping on the edge of the watch crystal. Is there a source where we can purchase NOS replacement crystals? Also, is the procedure for removing the crystals for replacement or restoration similar to a Pulsar LED watch? I've replaced my Pulsar crystal face by putting the empty case in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes, just enough to make the epoxy soft, then I slightly push out the crystal and wholla it's out. Great job on your watch restoration. At $5.00 you can't beat that price!

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 May 2013, 05:13

Congrats on your incoming watch. If you like early LC Seikos this is one of the watches to have in my opinion. They don't built watches this way anymore. The modular design of this watch lets you remove every component with ease. all you need is to pop the case back by pressing 4 retaining clips. the glass is on a frame end when I polished mine I did not remove it from the frame, there is no need to. Take pictures when taking the watch apart for reference. When you get the watch please post pictures, I bet you more than one Seiko enthusiast will be glad to help including me.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post29 May 2013, 11:47

Congrats with your new purchase and the repairs done!
Are you using cerium oxide for glass polishing as I suggested years ago on the forum or maybe there are now some new compounds available?
Haven't done any glass refinishing in the last 2 years so I'm not really up to date with NASA technology that might have appeared ;)
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 04:22

Thanks Peter. I'm still using cerium Oxide , Just like you suggested I got like 2 Kilos of it. I'm getting very good now at polishing glass, but Seiko glass is very tough, not like Red mineral glass. I learned very early to go to your site to look for information before I went somewhere else and on the process learned a lot more about watches. It was some of your articles on tuning forks that got me into Accutrons, now I'm on the look out for an Omega Seamaster f300 "cone" Like this one.http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/G ... IM2095.jpg
Thanks for all the useful information . Ismael

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 May 2013, 09:48

Thanks Ismael :) let us know if you have come up with any new ideas to efficiently improve polishing or making the process less dirty.
it's all trial and error I believe as every watch requires a different approach.
perhaps there are some super-hard felt discs that prevent loosing the sharp edges on glass.

on the f300Hz Cone then go for it but I would suggest to pick a different dial color, the navy dials are usually badly aged.
also the case restoration will be difficult as the cone bezel is screwed to the case tightly and usually also secured with epoxy on the thread for water resistance.
the sunburst effect is another story.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 10:58

is it possible to remove chips from the edges or are they best be left alone? My 0634-5019 should be arriving this Friday and I'll post so pictures. I purchased it from the ebayer 2010..seiko..01 he seems to have an endless inventory of vintage seiko lcd watches.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 May 2013, 12:55

Depends on the chip.
With a Seiko glass in frame it might be difficult as you would need to file down the full edge of the glass until it is flush and the chip is gone.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 18:22

Thanks azimuth_pl, make sense to me. I have posted the sellers photos, watch appears to be in decent shape, however I hope the small chipped crystal edges is not a major issue. Also, it appears I would need to remove the crystal in order to get a smooth edge without distorting the steel "TV" frame. If that is the case do you know how Seiko mounts their crystal?
Last edited by coconutman351 on 30 May 2013, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 19:53

coconutman351,

The crystal is mounted in the stainless steel frame with a square shaped, black-plastic gasket, and it is mounted in using a one-time-shot crystal press. You may be able to find a replacement crystal, which is the best scenario, but you will probably NEVER find the crystal gasket anywhere because of scattered inventory. You would be forced to "reuse" your old gasket (if the condition is alright), and then remount it using a preferably screw-down crystal press.

To remove the crystal, you would use a crystal press, and simply press the crystal out.

If you have a replacement crystal, cracking the crystal means very little, just as long as you DO NOT DAMAGE the gasket surrounding the crystal, which may be a daunting task because it has been in there for 30+ years. Then, after you restore the watch case/bezel, you will mount the new crystal inside the crystal frame using the old gasket.

Seems easy, but might be difficult.

You can always just restore the crystal inside the case, but I have trouble NOT rounding off the edges of the case.

I hope this may have provided some incite.

- Patrick

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 20:38

Thanks Patrick, this provides some very good insight into how Seiko mount their crystal faces. Sounds like a very risky endeavor to try to remove the crystal altogether since as you said, there probably isn't a suitable new gasket that's easy to find, and I don't have a press, so I might end up making the situation worst with an unwearable watch. I'll wait till I have the watch in hand this Friday to make further assessments. Come to think of it this IS my very first Seiko LCD watch. Back in my younger days, I couldn't afford the Seiko brand thus I purchased a Texas Instrument LCD watch with the Tritium backlight.
- Robert

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 May 2013, 21:01

another so-so option would be to slightly grind down and/or polish the entire crystal front and while polishing the small chips on the edge would slightly disappear.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2013, 22:17

Would you recommend using a power Dremel tool or by hand (for better control)? I am concerned that localized head differences could potentially fracture the crystal. Finally using cerium oxide to finish, do I need a power tool to get the best finish or can polishing via hand produce the same results? Thanks again for the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

- robert

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 May 2013, 22:39

Dremel will be no good, to small working surface and to high speed (heat) increase the risk of cracking.
Depending on the approach you can first use a 1000 or higher abrasive paper with some water to make an even surface and work it down as much as required.
Then use a felt disc with velcro from any hardware store, apply it to a drill with regulated speed and apply water and cerium oxide until you are happy with the result.
This will be fun but messy ;)

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 May 2013, 03:44

Thanks azimuth_pl, great tips. I will take before and after photos of the crystal for a baseline result comparison. For the Stainless Steel case, how do you keep that factory brushed finish look? My hand isn't the steadiest and I'm afraid if I may blur the straight line original finish and or bevel the sharp edges. Again, thanks for all your help and tips, this forum rocks!

-Robert

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 May 2013, 05:43

The Chrystal on this watch is not press fit but rather glue to the frame itself. It might be possible to be detached from the frame to re-bevel the edges.
Judging from the pictures it appears the chips are quite small and can be successfully shaven off after polishing the Chrystal. I use this inexpensive wet wheel sander for this purpose with very good results, almost factory. I recommend to a first timer to practice first with scrap glass before doing the Chrystal. same with the Watch case. for the case I use wet block sanding to resurface imperfections then polishing the whole case before proceeding to the brushing. When I do the brushing I use the red scotch brite pad and tape the areas that need to be let alone. it helps to have imagination to :lol:
I had to do mine twice until i got the result I wanted.
Next

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches