show your vintage lcd 'Beater'

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

show your vintage lcd 'Beater'

Post30 Jun 2014, 23:23

We all have our specific vintage lcd watch collection, where every watch has its own purpose; you keep one in the box, another one you wear only as a dress watch with shirts depending on their colour, another one you wear casual with a polo or t-shirt, another one you wear when you know you wont damage it, etc etc etc
But often there's the 'beater' ; the watch you wear whatever the situation, that can be damaged, get wet, or whatever. And its vintage and digital.
Today I was wearing my 'best' beater (one of 3 beaters) and I thought it would be nice to start this subject as im curious about yours.
My beater is vintage on the edge, a very late 1980's/early 1990's 'Made in Japan, assembled in Taiwan' made Xonix of pretty high quality and has a rotatable bezel to toggle through its modes. Featuring chrono, single alarm, daily alarm (2 time sets a day), dual time, long timer, and short timer.

I allways take it with me on bicycle vacations, when sailing, etc

Its very rare but has a very low collectors factor, nobody knows this brand (more or less)

It will be a stayer for years to come:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: show your vintage lcd 'Beater'

Post01 Jul 2014, 18:15

Not as easy choice as i would think...but i really like my old Hamilton MIB II watch. I have a nos one and a beater.
It just feels good around my wrist.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Jul 2014, 19:46

I wear my Seiko EPD most of the time, but when it comes to vintage beater its:

The Pulsar Spoon I have from the early 90's.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Jul 2014, 00:05

Lately, I've been wearing this old Gruen LCQ. The old LCD models like the LCQ and Teletime, while not highly coveted, tend to have very large, bold, readable displays and cool chunky cases.

-abe.

simone

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jul 2014, 09:21

I wear my Otron solartime in my dirty moments.... :-D Late 70's and solid like a rock!!!
Alarm,crono,dual time,light and....solar powered...

Otron.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Jul 2014, 11:39

Mine is an old Casio PRT-10 Pro Trek with tidegraph, moongraph and thermometer.

Used for Marathons, swimming, fishing, car maintainance, sports, gardening, heavy drinking and Lord knows what else.

This was the first present my lovely wife (then girlfriend) bought for me back in 1996. I mentioned I wanted an old LED watch, she sneaked down to the shops and half an hour later proudy presented me with this. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't at all what I wanted and had to wear it for about a year to keep the bluff going. Now some 18 years later it's still going strong (on it's second battery and third strap) the illuminator backlight still works and I've come to realise it's one of the best watches I've ever owned.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Apr 2015, 23:02

Last year when making this post was the last moment I set the watch to time. Today it has a deviation of 19 seconds
I really grew on this watch through time because of the movement
This movement has minimal deviation from the factory
It has the most options in a movement I have seen sofar in a retro watch (also in comparison with the Casio's);
Dual time, short timer (to 60 minutes), long timer (24 h), chronograph, single alarm, daily alarm, time day and date: 7 options
Also, ALL modes run simultaneously. The time, both alarms, both timers, the chronograph, the time and its dual time
And finally, it automatically switches between summer and winter times

This, together with its build (the rotatable bezel) and its history on my wrist make the I will never let it go!

Meanwhile, keep your daily beaters coming!

Al_Mc

Nerd

Nerd

Post13 Apr 2015, 01:34

Here's one of my daily beaters. It's my Casio Bullhead. I've collected other Bullhead style watches before, so this was a natural.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post18 Dec 2016, 15:11

my Gruen Teletime, one of the earliest watches with field effect LCD, approx 1973. I'm also from 73, but seems to me, watch still almost new and looks much better than me :)
This one carries letter F, the first ones were 606A. Still do not know the difference, all looks alike.

I wear vintage watches many years, very carefully, so almost all stable watch in good condition and good accuracy can be a watch of daily wear. I won't say its a "beater", because i do not like to wear watches during sport activities, just normal daily watch for all purposes
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Dec 2016, 18:27

This isnt my "work watch" as i work in the dustiest shit holes in the world, its one of 2 lcds i class as an everyday wearer though. Very comfortable watch too

Iranian Breitling

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post25 Dec 2016, 00:19

Seiko lcd something is my beater? Would like to find a bracelet for it but don't no where to start looking? Lugs are 20 mm Image

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jan 2017, 00:18

The beater is the one on the left.

Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches