Seiko UC-3000 display question

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Al_Mc

Nerd

Nerd

Seiko UC-3000 display question

Post29 Apr 2015, 03:36

Hi all. I have an opportunity to buy a mint (looks unworn) UC-3000 (without keyboard) for a great price.
But the screen has turned brownish and text is a bit light. Does anyone know what might cause the display to turn brown?
Couple it have been left in the sun for a looking time?

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko UC-3000 display question

Post29 Apr 2015, 08:53

The display reflector on these is golden in colour and until you set the contrast (you need the keyboard for this) the default, after battery change, max contrast display always appears washed out with the background dots visible. Unless you have a keyboard (Data 2000, UC3000, Memo Diary keyboards all work) or expect to find one real soon, leave it. Another thing with these is that due to the design of the battery holder the reception coil in the watch is very prone to damage when the battery is changed- never lever it out!- suck it out with a powerful magnet, and never fit Renata in this watch as they are "maximum" IEC size and jam in the holder (trick here is to superglue a tab to the cell and pull it out). As a general rule keyboards always work (or can be made to work after cleaning the negative contact leaf spring) and watches rarely work with keyboard when sold separately.

Al_Mc

Nerd

Nerd

Post29 Apr 2015, 19:04

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'm going to leave it alone.

I really appreciate the advice.

Al

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post30 Apr 2015, 06:14

Is there any way to repair the coil if it gets damaged? Or perhaps make (ie improvise something). a replacement? Thanks!

fleseriutiberiu

Post06 Jun 2016, 22:53

Hi,

Yes the repair can be made, but it is a little bit tricky. You have to first take out the damaged coil, this can be done by scraping it off or if you have the tools heat up the glue that holds it into place but not too much so you don't melt the plastic cradle. Afterwards you make a coil, it depends what AWG wire you use you can calculate how many loops you need to do. The Seiko manual states the exact impedance of the coil. I have done it in mine but only got it right on the 3rd attempt :-D . You do need a microscope though...and a lot of patience.

Regards,
Tibi

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jun 2016, 20:32

Hi Mr. Fleseriu,
Please allow me to welcome You on this forum, since You are one of the rarest experts (I know this from other forums) that have a very deep knowledge and expertise regarding the hardware part of the vintage digital watches...:).
Glad to have You here...
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jun 2016, 11:21

Welcome Tibi from all us and thx for sharing your knowledge on this Board. Much appreciated :dwf: "willkommen"
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

fleseriutiberiu

Post09 Nov 2016, 18:29

Hi,

I am curious if the original poster had his watch repaired, or if he wants additional details on what type of AWG wire to use and the number of loops he needs to do (well all the calculations necessary). Or if anyone needs this info posted.

Regards,
Tibi

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Dec 2016, 00:09

Hi Tibi,
just in case You're reading this, it will be extremely useful for us and others who own a Seiko watch labeled Data, UC or Memo/Diary such a post from You - the only person I know that was able to successfully repair a Seiko transmission/reception coil - related to "the details on what type of AWG wire to use and the number of loops he needs to do (well all the calculations necessary)".
Thanks in advance for such information and kind regards,
:dwf:
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

fleseriutiberiu

Post20 Mar 2017, 14:07

Ah, Just saw this post, very tardy. I will search this week for my notes on the materials used to fix and will post them here.

Tibi

fleseriutiberiu

Post26 Mar 2017, 14:13

Hi,

So below are instructions for generating the transmission coil inside the watch:

Materials
- Wire/Coil - you have to use coil wire, this means that it has to be coated in lacquer but all coil wires are manufactured so. The type of coil that I used has 0.025mm cross section. I tried with 0.04 mm but it did not work because it has lower resistance per meter and the volume of the resulted coil is too large for the space you have to fit it in.
- Conformal coating - the purpose of this is to spray on the finished coil while it is still on the spool, this will make the coil stay together as you transfer it from the forming spool to it's place inside the watch.

Tools
I am sure the coil is achievable with other tools but here is what I used:
- Microscope - I have a 20x binocular microscope, this was used during the coil forming process so I was able to see and guide the coil while I reeled it onto the forming spool
- Forming spool/tool - this is a homemade tool that essentially has 2 spools, one spool has the big spool of wire and the other is empty and has a small crank that is operated manually. The objective is to crank the second spool and start transferring the wire onto it's mould.
- Molud - this is what is used to from the coil - basically I used a roll of electric isolating duck-tape. I dug a channel around the perimeter of the tape that essentially made the mould for the coil.

Calculations
According to the manual of the watch the transmission coil has to have between 3-5 kOhms.
My 0.025mm coil had a resistance of 34 Ohm/meter
This means that 100 meters of coil is 3.4 kOhm which should be in the 3-5 kOhm margin
The diameter of the space reserved for the coil inside the watch is 24mm
This means that the perimeter of the coil is pi*24 = approx 74.4 mm which is 0.0754 m
Ok, so 100 m of coil divided by 0.0754 = 1326 rotation have to be achieved for a 3.4 kOhm coil.
In the end I did 1500 rotations which got me a measured 4.3kOhm coil which WORKED!
As a future plan I will stick to the 1326 roatations or maybe 1400 as that would mean the coil would have a smaller volume.

I will have to make a video at one point to illustrate all the above.

Hopefully it is of some use to someone.

Cheers,
Tibi

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Mar 2017, 18:47

Thanks a lot Tibi for this long time awaited and unique tutorial!
But it seems that one should have magic hands...and eagle eyes... to complete such a task + a lot of knowledge in electronics! But at least we know that it is possible! :grin1:
And of course, a video tutorial on Your excellent Youtube channel will be even better...
Thanks and Best Regards,
:dwf:

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches