Seiko F039 back on my streets

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko F039 back on my streets

Post19 Aug 2015, 19:48

The watch was actually wasted. It had bended metal between lug ends to the upside (almost impossible, a previous owner must have hung on some pin or something with his whole weight being held by the watch..), a scratched crystal and a bleeding display (maybe related to the other thing)

I de-scratched and polished the crystal, removed the bending and re-brushed the topside, polished the sides and pushers and de-scratched and re-brushed its strap. And replaced the LCD panel by a F033 panel ( CLICK )

I enjoy restoring these 'wasted' watches as a hobby and bringing them back on my streets (it takes a lot of time; 8+ hours when the movement, crystal, case and strap need service like this one) and usually I use them as daily beaters afterwards (so that I wont damage my nos and mint collection). But actually this result is almost too good to wear it as a beater ;)

Its a Seiko that doesn't pop up very much, it has a very nice build and movement, so id like to show it here

The silver rectangular around the lcd panel combined with the 'widescreen' lcd looks and its case build make that this watch gives a very sophisticated yet sporty/sturdy look on my wrist. Its not very big, not too small either, a very nice size and its reasonably flat

Last edited by elceedee on 19 Aug 2015, 20:03, edited 3 times in total.

PG101

Techie

Techie

Re: Seiko F039 back on my streets

Post19 Aug 2015, 20:03

Very nice result :O`~

simone

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2015, 09:57

Great restoration...i love F serie,elegant and simple...Now it's my turn to swap an F033 panel to an F039 :grin1:
Thanks for the usefull info :Prost:

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Aug 2015, 20:30

Goodluck Simone! It cant really go wrong .. Show us your results!
I already had a weakness for the F series (some very specific more sturdy models due to the limited size of most F serie models -except the ultra flat ones-, Kasper showed one in the repair topic) but they don't come up very often. Im curious about yours

simone

Guru

Guru

Post21 Aug 2015, 12:40

Not easy as i expected...i had a lot of problem related to a bad connection between the lcd and eleastometers,once the panel starts to show all the digits i noted an issue: moving the wrist the digits become fainty and you can easily hear a "clik clik" (maybe the lcd) sound from the inside... :-(

i used:

F033 lcd and panel frame
F039 elastometers
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Aug 2015, 13:17

Hi Simone
The problem is that both the original F039 connectors as the F033 connectors are too short.
You need to make a pair that are higher, in the picture in the repair topic these are the black ones (not original Seiko)
But, then again, you have to be lucky you have a spare pair that is higher and has the same thickness to fit the opening in the case

The clicking you hear is probably the backpanel that has a bit more space due to the thinner lcd panel, or the lcd panel that's a bit loose due to the short connectors

cylon123

Post26 Aug 2015, 01:00

Looks great , do you have any before pics so we can see how far it cam

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches