Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Testing LCD module?

Post02 Jan 2016, 21:55

Hey all.

I picked up a job lot of watches and there was a Sensor LCD watch in the bunch. I've cleaned it up and it looks great but I don't have a 344 battery to install. I tried other batteries to see if the LCD would work but nothing happened. Does this mean the module is gone for good or does it mean I need the correct battery?

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Testing LCD module?

Post03 Jan 2016, 15:27

Does it have a light? Then you can check if the battery makes a proper connection :)
Or use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the plus and minus contacts with the battery in place. Good connection and still no display? Than you might get lucky after you clean the circuit etc. Or the module is dead. Or a dead crystal.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post03 Jan 2016, 20:34

dutchsiberia wrote:Does it have a light? Then you can check if the battery makes a proper connection :)
Or use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the plus and minus contacts with the battery in place. Good connection and still no display? Than you might get lucky after you clean the circuit etc. Or the module is dead. Or a dead crystal.

Thank you for these tips dutchsiberia :Prost: I'll give them a try and see what happens.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Jan 2016, 20:48

Some watches have springs contacting the case back which will complete some watch circuits when in place. Thus simply connecting the battery +ve and -ve terminals to a power source without the case back may:

- enable some circuits to work and not others.
- not allow any circuit to work
- may allow all circuits to function.

Strictly a watch design.

Geoff

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post04 Jan 2016, 21:04

767Geoff wrote:Some watches have springs contacting the case back which will complete some watch circuits when in place. Geoff

Thank you for this info 767Geoff :Prost: The case back does have a three prong spring so maybe because I don't have the right size battery and cannot close the watch it won't work. I can't find a 344/350 battery locally so may have to order one.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post07 Jan 2016, 02:28

Stopped by a shop that I visit and asked their watchmaker to install a 344 battery if they had one. He walked out several minutes later and told me that it would take more than a battery to get this watch working. The module was fried :-( Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. On to the next one.

nick0123

Techie

Techie

Post07 Jan 2016, 09:43

Do you have a photo of it? Someone might have a working module they don't need (I think I've got a couple of the Tri-lite modules in my spares).

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post07 Jan 2016, 19:26

nick0123 wrote:Do you have a photo of it? Someone might have a working module they don't need (I think I've got a couple of the Tri-lite modules in my spares).

Thanks much for the offer nick0123 :Prost: I'll post some pics of the module and watch when I get home.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches