Seiko A639 bad display?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Seiko A639 bad display?

Post25 Feb 2016, 23:29

Have a bad display on his movement. Could it be repaired? Only half of the numbers are visible. It the lower part that doesn't work. If so how to do it? All help appreciated .

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko A639 bad display?

Post25 Feb 2016, 23:54

Hi
This might be caused by a leaking battery in the past. These Seiko movements with their white plastic housing parts are particularly vulnerable to that and very vulnerable in particular; these plastics tend to crack at the points where the screws are attached.
Have a close look at this first after disassembling the movement (a microscope is helpful)
If its all reasonably OK and you don't have to clean it from battery acid, clean the parts if necessary (carefully). Clean the circuit and the rubber connectors to the LCD panel (cotton swab and alcohol) and you might have a fully working A639 movement again
Be careful not to tighten the screws to hard as the plastics are very vulnerable to that, obviously
Goodluck!

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post26 Feb 2016, 00:19

seicitizitch wrote:Hi
This might be caused by a leaking battery in the past. These Seiko movements with their white plastic housing parts are particularly vulnerable to that and very vulnerable in particular; these plastics tend to crack at the points where the screws are attached.
Have a close look at this first after disassembling the movement (a microscope is helpful)
If its all reasonably OK and you don't have to clean it from battery acid, clean the parts if necessary (carefully). Clean the circuit and the rubber connectors to the LCD panel (cotton swab and alcohol) and you might have a fully working A639 movement again
Be careful not to tighten the screws to hard as the plastics are very vulnerable to that, obviously
Goodluck!

Thanks will try in the weekend. Would be nice if i could put it back in the case again. And have a fully working watch . I am so weak it no problems i could over tighten the screws :) I may post some pictures of my try ?

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post26 Feb 2016, 22:35

Have taken it apart. Looks really clean but there are some slight oxidation where the arrow points. Trying to clean and see if it helps?

Or is it this part i should clean. The rubber parts? Or can i take it apart more then this? Sorry a little out of focus :oops:

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post26 Feb 2016, 23:13

It did :-D Found some oxid where the arrow is. Going to clean tomorrow and see if i could get everything back together again . Which me luck.
Not use to working on LCD watches. Should i protect the circuit board with something after i have cleaned it?

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post27 Feb 2016, 21:11

No one more surprised then me? Looks like it's working again? Clean all the contacts with alcohol and put it back together. Not used to work with lcd crystals and this small parts. More used to mechanical and automatic movements. Now i have to see if i can replace the crystal on the watch to.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Feb 2016, 22:28

Congratulations, the result you were aiming for !

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post28 Feb 2016, 22:50

seicitizitch wrote:Congratulations, the result you were aiming for !

Thanks ! :-D That was fun working with. Now i not so afraid next time.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches