Seiko F033- 5009 how to remove glass

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

P.C.

Nerd

Nerd

Seiko F033- 5009 how to remove glass

Post07 Apr 2016, 23:01

Can anyone advise me on a way to safely remove the glass from this model. I've posted a pic of both case back ( which says the case construction code is G) along with a pic of inside the case.
The irregular shape of the metal casing seem to preclude any way of using a case back/crystal press that the digital Seiko servicing guide I have seems to imply is what I should use.
I want to open it not to replace the glass but because there is a small foreign piece of something ( a small hair?) sticking between the textured face plate and the glass which I would like to try and remove.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by P.C. on 09 Apr 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko F033- 5009 how to remove glass

Post08 Apr 2016, 09:07

This is all you need to do it. Removing glass is not so easy without breaking it.

:dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Apr 2016, 09:55

Sometimes there's just enough room to very gently get something between the glass and the fascia panel and tease the object out. I've used the bristle from a paint brush or a split cocktail stick. It takes time and doesn't always work, but, a good percentage of the time it does.

good luck

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

P.C.

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 Apr 2016, 17:03

Thanks for the suggestions, but the 'shard' i want to remove is tight up againts the glass edge and case , you can just see it in first picture above the 'S' in Seiko ( looks like a small slither of metal or possible hair?) Theres not enough gap to blow ( plus i think it may be trapped in joint) or getting a tooth pic that far into it at that angle. Only way I would think would be to remove glass... which I presume must me possible somehow? .
Should I send it to a real pro ( who?....Seiko?) who has the right gear to open glass correctly.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post08 Apr 2016, 17:47

I've removed bits like that with small strips of cigarette paper before. It takes a bit of faffing and swearing.

If you have a rectangular die about the size of the hole in the case I think you could push the glass out pretty easily (its relatively small and thin...) If you break it then you can get a new one on Ebay for less than $20. Search for "SA5N77GN"

P.C.

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 Apr 2016, 21:44

Thanks Quietman, I tried just thin paper which didn't reach, the cigarette paper sounds a good idea.
However in the end however I managed to just push hard with my fingers and removed the glass.
I have a crappy, ie cheap press with a couple of largish dies which enabled me to close the glass quite easily.
So amazingly I fixed it without screwing up.
Thanks everyone again.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches