I bought a Seiko Data 2000-what Seiko keyboard is compatible

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

I bought a Seiko Data 2000-what Seiko keyboard is compatible

Post13 Apr 2016, 02:13

I have finally found and bought a MINT Seiko Data 2000 watch + keyboard (1983) - both fully functional, basically the one of first ancestors of a real smartwatch.
my_seiko_data_2000.jpg

I will publish more photos when I will review the watch...
More information about the vintage Seiko Data/UC/RC/MEMO watches may be found at =the below URLs:
http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/nerdwat ... watch-fun/
http://cdecas.free.fr/computers/pocket/data2000.php

Glad to say that I have now in my small collection, the first 2 digital watches in history that have used "electromagnetic" pulses to transmit/receive data, the other one being the outstanding and extremely rare Polar PE 3000 Sport Tester watch, that DID NOT need close contacts with the base -as Seiko needed, but only a wireless chest strap for HRM (Heart Rate Monitoring) that may transmit data to the watch...:). That watch was presented in my review below:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=7973

To make it clear for everyone, the Seiko Data 2000 was the first watch who used "electromagnetic" induction circuits to receive data from a "wireless" keyboard (1983), while Polar PE 3000 (1984) was the first watch able to receive wireless data from a remote chest strap, using a similar approach BUT WITHOUT close contacts between the sender/receiver...:). But the Polar PE 3000 also had a serial interface cable to SEND data to a computer, as Seiko RC 1000 (launched in 1984) had to RECEIVE data from a computer, but Seiko RC 1000 had not a "wireless" induction based interface at all...

So I think that it's safe to say that Polar PE 3000 was the first watch in history that had both a "wireless" connection to RECEIVE input data and a "wired" serial connection to TRANSMIT data to another computer, making it the first ancestor of a "real smartwatch", able to do bidirectional communication using both wireless and wired data transmission/reception !!!

But the big question is that if the Seiko Data 2000, which is - hardware-wise - identical with the Seiko UC 2000, may use e.g. -the UC 2200 keyboard? Which is (UC 2200) -by the way - a self contained computer :), and basically it may use those Seiko Data 2000/UC 2000 watches mainly only as a display to run some user programs written in BASIC or for the upload of some binary files with games :)...
http://cdecas.free.fr/computers/pocket/uc2000.php

Why I ask this???
Because a user that have both watches (Data 2000/UC 2000), wrote the following statement in a comment to the below page :
"I have a Seiko Data 2000 watch and small keyboard. Mint in box. Unused. And a UC-2200 large keyboard that is used. I had 2 Data 2000 watches and often used the large keyboard to run basic programs or play the games built into the large keyboard."
https://steveffisher.wordpress.com/2011 ... on-system/
Also, in the below URL, it is stated that:
"DATA-2000 and UC-2000; it seems that the only difference between the "DATA" system and the "UC" system lies in the casing and marketing."
http://cdecas.free.fr/computers/pocket/data2000.php

Thus, I kindly ask the owners of such watches, to tell me what is the compatibility matrix, between the watches/keyboards presented at the Pocket Calculator Website URL below?
http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/nerdwat ... watch-fun/
In other words, which Seiko Data/UC NNN watches, may use which kind of the "smart" Seiko keyboards of that NNN line - up or below of their line of devices ??? :).
E.g. The Seiko Data 2000 watch may or may NOT use a Seiko UC 2200 smart keyboard?... and I will kindly ask for some practically verified opinions, not some "educated guess" extrapolations ! :)))

Thanks and kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cybr on 24 May 2016, 08:12, edited 3 times in total.
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Re: I bought a Seiko Data 2000-what Seiko keyboard is compat

Post29 Apr 2016, 06:30

any keyboard from the Data - Memobank range will work

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 May 2016, 22:13

Thanks a lot Mr. Seiko Kid.
You have confirmed what I have already expected, after I was able to read (translated) the original scientific article of Kazuhiro Asano et al, entitled "Development of Wrist Computer System" and published in 1984 in the Horological Institute of Japan's Journal - pls see the photo below :).
Many thanks again,
article_seiko_wrist_computer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

cte

Techie

Techie

Post18 May 2016, 23:51

Awesome watch. :mega: I also have one (watch only). I love the look of it but without the connecting keyboard, I can't change the contrast of the display. It's too dark for me by default, so I rarely wear it. :cry: I look forward to you review.

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2016, 12:03

@cte
I hope that You understand that ALL keyboards from DATA, UC and/or Memo Diary range of Seiko watches are able to change Your contrast's display from Your Seiko Data 2000 watch...so You will only need one of all these keyboards (even a borrowed one) to solve the contrast problem...
On the other hand...I am very glad that I have demonstrated (thanks also to Mr. Seiko Kid) that ALL keyboards from the UW01-UW02 calibre range will work with all such watches, because their hardware architecture is almost identical...
In the 1980-1990 timeline, such a discovery should have been published in a major scientific journal...:)))
Now, it's only for the collectors or the historians ...:)
Regards,

cte

Techie

Techie

Post20 May 2016, 13:35

I don't have any of the keyboards, so I'm stuck as is for the moment. :-? I did, however, wear my data 2000 yesterday after reading your topic! :mrgreen:

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches