It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:37

Seiko 0674 minutes jump from 6 to 9...?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

iwatchu

Seiko 0674 minutes jump from 6 to 9...?

Post05 Jun 2016, 10:25

Hi there,
As mentioned in my previous (and unique) post, I am a total amateur in this, especially comparing with the level of some of the regular members' posts here that I read with a lot of passion...
I have a couple of 0674's and I simply love this watch, not just because of the James Bond movie but also because of the design. I recently bought another one to use for daily wear. It was quite beaten up when I received it, however the module seemed to be working fine until I realised that...,and this is really weard,...the minutes jump from 6 to 9, so in other words the watch is gaining as a consequence, 3 minutes every 10 minutes. In 24 hours the watch gains a bit more than 7 hours. I have applied the standard operating procedure: new battery, clean with brush first, then with alcool, take out the lcd panel clean everything again but it doesn't help. I've checked the repair manuel but nothing is mentioned about this problem. Strange thing is when I set the time, the minutes jump as well, meaning after 6 comes imediatly 9 but only for the time setting, for date setting the number sequence is all fine.
I become kind of frustrated because I have no other idea anymore on how to proceed, I am afraid the "brain" (chip) is somehow damaged which would mean that I have to get a new module.
Did somebody experience something similar?
Thx for reading my post.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Seiko 0674 minutes jump from 6 to 9...?

Post05 Jun 2016, 17:09

The last time I've seen this it was indeed a problem with the chip. Logic fault, module unusable for time keeping unfortunately.

iwatchu

Post05 Jun 2016, 21:05

Yes indeed, unfortunately but what a strange failure. I am wondering what could cause this? Maybe some corosion inside a chip that is not completely airtight...who knows? I have another 0674 coming but for spairs and repair, hopefully I can make that module run.
Thank you for confirming the diagnostic Dutchsiberia ;-)

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Jun 2016, 22:35

It is a 'common' failure in this movement, unfortunately.

My brother had one of these NOS, and after four years it started behaving as you describe.

Ive owned two of these models with this behaviour in the past years (bought for spares as the owners were so honest to inform me). Its important to ask a seller if the watch keeps time, as in pictures the watch usually looks fully functional with this defective IC

iwatchu

Post06 Jun 2016, 18:23

THX for the insight I will follow your advice, it will not be cheap to find a working module for my future daily beater :-D
BTW: this forum is really great also for beginners like me. I will write some posts more often.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches