Early Casiotron Component Part Replace

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Early Casiotron Component Part Replace

Post11 Jun 2016, 23:23

Hi all, I have an early Casiotron 02-506, it had faint digits so I took it apart to clean, the module was stuck in the case and as I pried it out I manage to stupidly break a component inside the watch,

The following pic is not my watch but a similiar Casiotron pic I found and the component I am talking about is circled in red. Now I could buy a broken Casiotron and take this part from it but is there an off the shelf component I can use here? What likely is this little yellow part - any one know?

Cheers! Richard

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Early Casiotron Component Part Replace

Post12 Jun 2016, 17:45

The part is a padder capacitor fitted to get the watch "in range" so that the variable capacitor can do its job of finely adjusting the rate. I have a suspicion that this capacitor was wired in series with the variable capacitor so the watch may not run without it- Casio used to have a whole selection of different values available to fit here, but that was a long time ago! Since they were individually selected for each module (NEC made these,not Casio) one out of another watch may give you a working watch but timekeeping might be a little off. There is no off the shelf replacement available- you could make one using a tiny SMD capacitor with fly wires soldered on (a board like the original would be nice but it is so tiny this would be a real challenge).

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches