Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Dave Matthews

Nerd

Nerd

Seiko G757 : body heat = frozen time!

Post01 Sep 2016, 23:14

Hi folks,

I've recently started to have a problem with one of my G757's (it's the 401b version) in that when I wear it, after a few minutes the display turns off. Removing it from my wrist would see the display reappear after a few minutes. Even more oddly, though, the actual time displayed by the watch when the display recovered would simply pick up from the point at which the display had turned off. For example if the display turned off at, say, 19:05:00 and it took ten minutes to recover, the watch would pick up from 19:05:00. In other words while the display was off, time had "frozen", so to speak! :scratch:

Anyway I reasoned that there was probably some sort of moisture issue in the watch, so I removed the movement and took out the battery for a day. However on re-inserting the battery I no longer get a display at all!?! :cry:

I can't see any obvious signs of corrosion. I tried a replacement battery but that didn't make any difference.

Prior to all this weirdness, the watch worked perfectly - all display segments, alarm, backlight and functions, etc.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with a G757 and/or can offer any advice, please?

--

Many thanks!

Dave

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko G757 : body heat = frozen time!

Post02 Sep 2016, 17:52

keep the battery in for a while
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post02 Sep 2016, 19:03

Do you use the right battery? And a good quality battery. Number 391 is the battery u should use.

Dave Matthews

Nerd

Nerd

Post02 Sep 2016, 19:17

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll leave the battery in over the next 24 hours and hopefully life will be restored! Actually, I've just noticed that at least the backlight is working.

I am using a Renata 391 - I understand these are fairly well regarded...? Either way it's only a couple of months old.

--

Cheers

Dave

Dave Matthews

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Sep 2016, 21:06

Well no joy, unfortunately. The backlight still works but there's nothing on the display. My initial suspicion ias that there's a duff connection with the LCD panel - but that wouldn't explain the earlier weird "time freeze" issue, unless the watch has developed two separate faults simultaneously. Any further thoughts, folks?

--

Many thanks

Dave

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post06 Sep 2016, 09:09

i don't think its a connection with the lcd panel...first check the connections around the battery itself, then dig deeper. If you're up to it, dismantle the whole watch, light cleaning and put it back together and wait a few days. Goodluck
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

Dave Matthews

Nerd

Nerd

Post15 Feb 2017, 21:19

Just resurrecting an old post...

Well I must confess I never did get around to trying Kasper's kind suggestion but, yesterday, while repairing another watch, I noticed that the G757 is now working!?! Quite why it has taken nearly six months to spring back into life is beyond me!

--

Cheers

Dave

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post15 Feb 2017, 21:59

Welcome to the age of geriatric horology. I see similarly bizarre problems with Pulsars all the time.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post17 Feb 2017, 13:38

bruce wegmann wrote:Welcome to the age of geriatric horology. I see similarly bizarre problems with Pulsars all the time.

- Kasper -

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post18 Feb 2017, 03:03

looks like quartz resonator problem. After shocks the crystal can have bad connection with electrodes. The second version - capacitors...
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post21 Feb 2017, 21:03

[quote="bruce wegmann"]Welcome to the age of geriatric horology. I see similarly bizarre problems with Pulsars all the time.[/quote]

THe G757 electronics are renowned as being amongst the flakiest of all old digital watches. There was much discussion on another Digital Watch forum of problems like these. The only reliable fix is a new circuit. Quite often 'working' watches will lose a few segments when warmed up a bit, but otherwise keep running.Normally the faulty boards look completely clean and none of the usual 'tricks' work.

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post21 Feb 2017, 21:24

[quote="Andrew Babanin"]looks like quartz resonator problem. After shocks the crystal can have bad connection with electrodes. The second version - capacitors...[/quote]

IF IT was a quartz resonator problem then the time would not keep running as the display drivers failed.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches