Soviet data bank with matrix display.

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Soviet data bank with matrix display.

Post05 Feb 2017, 12:16

I decided to put it here among watches, because it has in its construction fully functional watch module from Elektronika 51.
Here it is. One of the first Soviet pocket micro computers with matrix display and data bank function. It can be used as normal calculator with most useful functions, data bank for 100 phone numbers, schedule, notes.
Partially it is based on MK-85 pocket microcomputer, the first one Soviet microcomputer with BASIC. MK-85 looks like Casio FX700P, but inserts are different - nothing common at all.
Elektronika MK 87 was represented to delegates of XXVII Congress of the CPSU in 1986, but was produced a year later in 1987 in the 70th Anniversary of October revolution. So 87 means the year of production, like in MK 85.
MK 87 looks a bit common to Casio PF-3000, but also from the first glance. Insides are fully designed in the USSR. THere were produced approx 8000+ devices - the qty of delegates of Congress. It hadn't been in mass production. My sample was produced not earlier than in March 1987 (inscriprion on the watch module).
Data bank has 6! power cells inside. Four 357 cells for data bank, 371 for watch module and lithium 2016 for memory. Device still in the working condition, but it has a few bugs, also display dots has different contrast. It will be 30 years old soon :)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Soviet data bank with matrix display.

Post06 Feb 2017, 21:38

Very cool! How long would it last with all those batteries? Not for the average working class people I think.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post07 Feb 2017, 07:46

There's no price for this item, because these data banks were presented to delegates, but according to info the recommended price was about 160 roubles. In 1987 my mother had 190 roubles wages, father - almost the same sum. I worked as a student in 1989, gathering tomatoes - some sort of scout camps. I had 80-90 roubles per month. So agree, it was qte high price :)
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Feb 2017, 18:36

So about a months wages, indeed very expensive :eek:

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches