It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:06

First post with a common question should I buy this Pulsar?

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

AveTelememo

First post with a common question should I buy this Pulsar?

Post18 Feb 2017, 07:20

I currently own two digital watches a Casio DBC-600 hence my name and a Seiko M354. I have loved Pulsars for a long while and my Seiko does not have enough 70s ness to it so I have been hunting a Pulsar for months. I will have another post all about myself but for this post I am wondering if these are good choices! http://www.ebay.com/itm/192105103150?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I came to to this forum because the main forum I am on the Omega Forums are pretty anti quartz and digi :pics: how do you put pictures?-Orion

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: First post with a common question should I buy this Puls

Post18 Feb 2017, 08:41

The chance of that Date/Command being in working condition is as near to a zero-probability event as this Universe allows. But, if you're feeling lucky, and the price stays in the basement, it might be worth the gamble.
Some Members here have spent small fortunes trying to get a nice, working Pulsar at a bargain price...just something to bear in mind.

AveTelememo

Post19 Feb 2017, 00:38

bruce wegmann wrote:The chance of that Date/Command being in working condition is as near to a zero-probability event as this Universe allows. But, if you're feeling lucky, and the price stays in the basement, it might be worth the gamble.
Some Members here have spent small fortunes trying to get a nice, working Pulsar at a bargain price...just something to bear in mind.

So far it is worth 11 dollars to me I would pay 40-50 tops what would be wrong with it? I don't know much about LEDS

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post19 Feb 2017, 01:13

There could be any one of a thousand things wrong. Leaking batteries can cause all manner of random and catastrophic damage...and there's always the possibility of static electric charge, which can kill any of the 1500 or so transistors in the clock chip, causing varying degrees of loss-of-function (none of which, being internal to the integrated circuit, are repairable). Broken reed switches, bad quartz crystals, and defective displays can be fixed, but, for the most part, while some problems CAN be resolved, the vast majority of them can't. We are now nearly 45 years out on the longevity-curve, and these watches are now developing issues that Time Computer never had to deal with, because they never saw a watch more than 5 1/2 years old.
The one bright spot is that ones that ARE still working, will continue to do so for many more years..well-assembled with exceptionally-good parts, lightly and carefully worn, well-maintained. The design lifetime of these was 100 years (an ambitious goal, for a fledgling company using technology with a limited track-record). A few will make it (sadly, most will not); but one day, there will be no more original working Pulsars. Modern modules are already taking up some of the slack of the attrition, but it will always be a collectors' dream to have the real thing...

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Feb 2017, 02:49

Bruce is absolutely correct:

Collectors want 100% original parts, box, papers and etc.

However,

If all you want is the 70s look then a dead one (maybe un-resurrectable) as advertised on your listing can be outfitted with a new replacement module, which use the original displays mounted on a new PCA. This gives the original look with modern electronics.

Geoff

AveTelememo

Post19 Feb 2017, 03:55

bruce wegmann wrote:There could be any one of a thousand things wrong. Leaking batteries can cause all manner of random and catastrophic damage...and there's always the possibility of static electric charge, which can kill any of the 1500 or so transistors in the clock chip, causing varying degrees of loss-of-function (none of which, being internal to the integrated circuit, are repairable). Broken reed switches, bad quartz crystals, and defective displays can be fixed, but, for the most part, while some problems CAN be resolved, the vast majority of them can't. We are now nearly 45 years out on the longevity-curve, and these watches are now developing issues that Time Computer never had to deal with, because they never saw a watch more than 5 1/2 years old.
The one bright spot is that ones that ARE still working, will continue to do so for many more years..well-assembled with exceptionally-good parts, lightly and carefully worn, well-maintained. The design lifetime of these was 100 years (an ambitious goal, for a fledgling company using technology with a limited track-record). A few will make it (sadly, most will not); but one day, there will be no more original working Pulsars. Modern modules are already taking up some of the slack of the attrition, but it will always be a collectors' dream to have the real thing...

How bleak! :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :~# :bang: :-( .
That will be longer than any of us will be alive! I really feel a complete redone module would kill my soul. The seller is claiming ignorance so I will take a chance. I am afraid of the future but I don't want to think about that I hope that the P3 works!

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches