Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

microcomputer calculator

Post28 Nov 2017, 22:39

Hi,

can anybody show me or sent me the advertising of this watch in a magazine in 1975. I've seen it, had it, but lost it :-(
Thx in advance.
:dwf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Re: microcomputer calculator

Post02 Dec 2017, 17:04

This isn’t quite the same watch, but it did feature in a 2006 thread here on the old dwf forum …

That old thread was about the origins of the calculator watch, with many believing Pulsar were out there first. So, I remember seeing a 1975 gift-idea article in Playboy, that a friend had of course .. and it had a hint of a weird little LED calculator watch known back then as the Fondiller Calcron. After some significant amount of ‘research’ into 1970’s Playboys I found the article and scanned it in preserving it for all time. I don’t think the Fondiller ever went into production, possibly because Pulsar did produce their somewhat more professional looking Calculator Watch a few months later, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a link between the Fondiller design and the eventual ‘micro-computer’ calculator shown up thread.

As can be seen in my close up scan below, it has the look of a very “hand built prototype”, controlled by conductive touch pads etc.

There was a side story to the original thread … When I first put this composite image together and showed it on DWF 11 years ago (!) I was amazed to find that it was plagiarised by Watchismo within hours, along with *a lot* of other unusual digital photos from the old site. What was annoying is that they went to the trouble of cropping all the images removing any copyrights or other source information and wrote articles suggesting it was all their own work associated the photos with the text along side it, and sure enough it all then got cut and pasted all over the web. After various people emailed the site it was all removed but then re-appeared some time later all cropped even more, and edited into something else !!!

Anyway, back on topic .. have you got the calculator working yet ? .. or is it acid damaged ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post02 Dec 2017, 17:28

Here's some more pics of the similar 'Eltex Computer' scientific calculator watch, solar powered no less !

(not one of mine, but it cropped up on ebay a few years ago, hence blurry photos ..)

:-
Last edited by Diginut on 02 Dec 2017, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post02 Dec 2017, 18:08

Thx, i knew i saw it somewhere,

yes mine is working..btw does yours have its original band?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post02 Dec 2017, 20:24

Kasper wrote:yes mine is working..btw does yours have its original band?

I've tweaked my wording above to admit its not actually my watch - it was an ebay special, a bit rough, and someone else outbid me anyway!

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches