It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:38

Button cells, which brands are the best? (and do not leak)

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Button cells, which brands are the best? (and do not leak)

Post13 Dec 2017, 00:20

Hey all,
Its been a long time since I posted here. But I think this topic (with your help) might become an effective and helpful thread to those visiting the forum and looking for a way to preserve their LCD watches.

As an enthusiast for quartz LCD (and analog quartz) watches I have learned, through the past two decades, that the leaking button cell is one of the (LCD) quartz's movements main enemy.
I have opened many found LCD and analog quartz watches finding this feared leaking button cell. But sometimes I'm surprised by an old (20+ years) button cell that did not leak

So, not too often, I open a watch which has ancient button cells inside, but with no leakage (or, just gas. No fluids)
Very occasionally these particular brands do show some very minimal signs of leakage. But very minimal compared to the others
The great majority of these old (20+ years) button cells are of the following brands:

* Seiko
* Sony
* Maxell

I have negative experiences with ancient Renate batteries (but also with more recently produced Renate batteries). Very vulnerable to leakage.
The same goes for any Chinese button battery. And many in between, also some 'Swiss made' types.

For now I am assuming that these clean ancient (Japanese) button cells I found are reflecting the quality of the modern button cells these brands produce

I would like to hear with which ancient non leaking button cell you had positive experiences. Especially when this happened more often with the same brand

This info might be a guide to the best quality button cell.
Once again: I am assuming that these clean ancient clean button cells are reflecting the quality of the modern button cells these brands produce today.
Last edited by elceedee on 28 Dec 2017, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: (leaking) batteries, which are the best ?

Post13 Dec 2017, 14:15

I have found, and have heard others say that silver oxide button cells don't tend to leak.
Not sure if they will never leak, but I don't recall ever seeing one that has leaked.
So I will only use silver oxide.
Rgds.

simone

Guru

Guru

Post13 Dec 2017, 14:21

Hi man and welcome back :-D

Bad experience with duracell and union carbide cells....

i can confirm about maxell and Sony quality...

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Dec 2017, 22:02

Bad experiences with silver oxide Renata cells. At the moment I'm using seizaiken batteries. (https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/seiza ... rcury-free)
I found many non leaking mercury union carbide cells in old watches. (never found a leaking mercury cell, the alkalines always leaks)

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Dec 2017, 17:03

Thanks Simone :)

Personally I cant remember having found any early leaking Seiko battery (fluids). That's why I usually use Seiko, but I find them very expensive in general.
I just read a few things about SEIZAIKEN, produced by Seiko but mercury free and enhanced quality:

"Until recently, a small amount of mercury was included in the chemical compound of the silver oxide battery to suppress the possible generation of hydrogen gas should the zinc-based negative electrode corrode. If this hydrogen gas is generated, leakage resistance and storage stability of the battery will deteriorate and a possibility of swelling may occur.
SII developed and incorporated the following two technologies in our no mercury added silver oxide batteries:
1.Use of high-corrosion resistance zinc alloy
2.Addition of a high performance inhibitor in the electrolyte"

https://www.sii.co.jp/en/me/datasheets/ ... seizaiken/

Probably these are (one of) the best alternatives nowadays. Very good advise, thanks

When I check your link I get the Cousins login screen :) I understand you order them in the UK? What are their prices?

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Dec 2017, 19:06

seicitizitch wrote:Thanks Simone :)

Personally I cant remember having found any early leaking Seiko battery (fluids). That's why I usually use Seiko, but I find them very expensive in general.
I just read a few things about SEIZAIKEN, produced by Seiko but mercury free and enhanced quality:

"Until recently, a small amount of mercury was included in the chemical compound of the silver oxide battery to suppress the possible generation of hydrogen gas should the zinc-based negative electrode corrode. If this hydrogen gas is generated, leakage resistance and storage stability of the battery will deteriorate and a possibility of swelling may occur.
SII developed and incorporated the following two technologies in our no mercury added silver oxide batteries:
1.Use of high-corrosion resistance zinc alloy
2.Addition of a high performance inhibitor in the electrolyte"

https://www.sii.co.jp/en/me/datasheets/ ... seizaiken/

Probably these are (one of) the best alternatives nowadays. Very good advise, thanks

When I check your link I get the Cousins login screen :) I understand you order them in the UK? What are their prices?

I've made a quick pdf with the prices, now to figure out to get them to you...

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Dec 2017, 21:41

Just a little humour. THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM. English can be ambiguous at best!

The title says: Leaking batteries, which are the best.

Short answer; the batteries the leak the best are the cheap batteries!

Sounds like seicitizitch is asking for the best batteries for leaking. All of you have discussed the worst batteries for leaking, (which is the obvious intent) that is, the batteries that leak the least; not the batteries which leak the best M:)W:)M

Sort of like the phrase near miss in aviation; I would rather be in a near miss than a near hit :grin1:

Geoff

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Dec 2017, 14:29

767Geoff wrote:Just a little humour. THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM. English can be ambiguous at best!

The title says: Leaking batteries, which are the best.

Short answer; the batteries the leak the best are the cheap batteries!

Sounds like seicitizitch is asking for the best batteries for leaking. All of you have discussed the worst batteries for leaking, (which is the obvious intent) that is, the batteries that leak the least; not the batteries which leak the best M:)W:)M

Sort of like the phrase near miss in aviation; I would rather be in a near miss than a near hit :grin1:

Geoff

You're right Geoff, I changed the title which was a little confusing :no:

Having that said, do you any thoughts on quality of button cells and their brands? :-)

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Button cells, which brands are the best? (and do not lea

Post28 Dec 2017, 22:35

All humour of course, my wife never understands me :lol:

Seiko gold plated silver oxides, never had a problem with Maxwells. GP also good. Don’t use Duracell as I have had alkaline leak like a sieve.

Nice thing about mercury cells, they rarely leaked and had a shelf life of up to 20years. That’s why my Seiko QC-951 clock had no leakage after 50 years on the mercury 625 button cells but the other clock had alkaline replacements which leaked all over the circuit board!

Cheers,

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Dec 2017, 23:49

Seiko gold plated silver oxides

Another joke ? ;)

So, with the current replies we can bring it down to the following contemporary -all Japanese- quality silver oxide button cells:

- Seizaiken Seiko
- Seiko
- Maxell
- Sony

Seems like the best button cells still come from Japan, as most of the vintage LCD watches

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Dec 2017, 23:51

Nope, no joke, they are actually gold in colour! I think they are plated, I pick them up in Japan.

:Hi:

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Dec 2017, 23:58

Aha! You naughty Japan traveler!

I tried to find them online with no success.. unfortunately

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Dec 2017, 23:10

I've had gold colored Maxell cells in Grand Quartz Seiko watches, looks awesome with the gold colored movements :)

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches