omega memomaster

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

omega memomaster

Post28 Nov 2018, 17:15

i have this Omega Memomaster, perfect working order but with a damaged crystal. Managed to source a new crystal. I intended to apply heat to remove the damaged one but am concerned about the panel above the crystal and its integral piezo. Anyone had one one of these apart. ? Anything to be aware of ? Any advice gratefully received-thanks

memomaster 004 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Re: omega memomaster

Post28 Nov 2018, 18:17

Are you sure that it is glued in and needs heat to get it out? Looks like it is mounted in a black plastic gasket so should just need carefully pushing out with a suitable die from the back (which will save the gasket and allow re-use).

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Nov 2018, 19:23

This is what i have once the module is removed. Crystal is pretty secure, i tried pressure only so am assuming its glued in -thanks

memomaster2 002 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Nov 2018, 21:12

Piezo is removable, just replaced mine with a NOS one.

Crystal, like all Omega digitals have a synthetic plastic gasket. They are also hard to find. So when pushing the glass out take care not to damage the synthetic gasket. It is preformed/shaped and has a thicker bottom then top edge to facilitate the new crystals install. The crystals also have a rounded edge and square edge. The rounded edge faces downward and combined with the thin top gasket wall also facilitates insertion.

I would not use heat so as to not damage the gasket. At most, hot tap water.

DO THIS BEFORE INSTALLING NEW GASKET/CRYSTAL:

While the crystal is removed introduce silicon liquid to the the pushers. They are pressed in, not circlips like Seikos. There is an integral gasket and spring in each pusher which need to be lubed as well as old sweat and debris which must be removed. I use spray silicon based lube (NOT WD40) for car door gaskets. I spray into a small dish then use an Oiler to introduce the liquid to each pusher from both sides. Work the pusher and watch the dirt come out, repeat until pushers work and dirt no longer comes out when blotted by a tissue.

Good luck

Geoff

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Nov 2018, 22:32

Tom, Geoff, thanks for the invaluable advice. I would have baked the gasket with a hair dryer left to my own devices. Top l/h side of the crystal in my first pic, you can just see a big piece of the crystal is missing. As soon as i applied any serious pressure the old crystal broke but luckily the plastic gasket was sound. I has some silicone lubricant spray and applied the slightest smear around the gasket to aid re-fitting of the new crystal. I then applied the same to the pushers with a tooth pick.Amazed at the crap thats in there. For the record, the piezo alarm sounder just sits there under the weight of the module. Anyway , job done. Many thanks

memomaster3 003 (800x600).jpg

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Nov 2018, 03:35

Looks good, I prefer the stainless watches as they are so easy to restore the case to pristine. No plating involved which requires the pushers to be pressed out.

Mine is gold plate verison fortunately not in need of plating,

I polished my crystal but could not find a source for a replacement, does your source have another?

Cheers, Geoff

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Nov 2018, 15:21

_PM sent

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches