It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:10

Sometimes things just appear out of nowhere.

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Sometimes things just appear out of nowhere.

Post15 Jan 2024, 23:15

Well, the title thread says everything I guess. Five days ago, something unimaginable happened in my life.

A good friend of mine and fellow collector has sent me a box, chocked full of "watch goodies", and he told me that the box was going to be quite heavy (10kg, 22lbs) due to the things he put inside.

Well, he wasn't wrong! Five days ago I've received the titular box and inside, I found other boxes which contained what pretty much is the Shangri-la of early digital watches. Tons of Optel DSMs and spare parts. Holy guacamole!

I started testing the first batch, the encased ones. So far, four work, three need a new panel and five don't work, but maybe they just need a new panel as well.

I begun to test the loose modules yesterday: 22 are in working condition, one had a dried panel so I removed it, four are panel-less and I need to test them. I also have to replace the panels on the cased modules that have degraded ones. In the picture below there are the panels I scavenged from the dead modules.
I also need to check the panels of the dead cased modules, if they are good, they will end in the bag of scavenged panels for further testing. I've also separated 22 cases which hopefully will contain the working modules after I get them to work reliably. Most of them need some work on the pins (usually the common pin) and some have missing segments which appear if I apply some pressure, so I'll have to gently lift those pins up and hope for the best (hoping that the panels of the working modules don't have issues at the electrodes).
Further testing awaits me... Please be patient, I'm like an archaeologist who has found an ancient Egyptian ship disassembled in a Pharaoh's tomb and needs to put it all together before displaying it in a museum...
In future I will take a picture of the dead modules which someone can use for parts or for display purposes. I also found a cracked panel inside one of the dead modules which also had a snapped contact, so it was useless anyway. I haven't included the cased ones which will be tested again another time.

In the same box there's also a nice untested Citizen Crystron LC (which needs a bracelet) and several ESA chronograph modules, always untested.
I plan to test all the Optels, assemble them together and put them for sale. It's going to be a looooong journey. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Sometimes things just appear out of nowhere.

Post17 Jan 2024, 00:34

That´s amazing! What a find... incredible. If you are seeling one of those, I am interested. I never had a DSM. Hanno :)

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jan 2024, 10:38

Wow...that is like the discovery of "Tutankhamun tomb" for digital watch collectors.... :mega:
Thus, as our very nice host - Hanno already pointed out, please let me/us know if you want to sell or exchange for some other "digital watch rarities", some of those "treasures" you have received, in the future :scratch:
I am especially interested in the ESA chronograph modules... :-D
Best regards,
:dwf:
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Jan 2024, 12:30

cybr wrote:Wow...that is like the discovery of "Tutankhamun tomb" for digital watch collectors.... :mega:
Thus, as our very nice host - Hanno already pointed out, please let me/us know if you want to sell or exchange for some other "digital watch rarities", some of those "treasures" you have received, in the future :scratch:
I am especially interested in the ESA chronograph modules... :-D

I want to sell everything! So everything in the box is available for sale. I'm currently waiting for the right batteries to come. I have to test them as I have found a Catena Carena case I want to pair one of those modules too. I also have found lots of ESA 9312 and ESA 934.711 and 934.912 and lots of untested Bulova 2281 modules, as well as a bag chock full of Handok LED modules.

SASM wrote:That´s amazing! What a find... incredible. If you are seeling one of those, I am interested. I never had a DSM. Hanno :)

I have revived 19 so far. Only four modules are left to test. Once assembled them all, I will clean and polish them all so I can put them for sale. Speaking of which... Is there hope for a SASM Optel module? I ask for a friend... :dwf:
Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jan 2024, 21:29

I´ve repaired so many watches during the last 3 years, I barely had time to produce something new or participate in this forum. Actually I am doing the last steps on the new FAN-2 LED watch project before production of the parts will start. I am satisfied with its shape and the module fits the case. The Zeniths Analog-LED are also on my list.

Is there demand for an Optel-Modul? I believe DMS would be best, right??

Hanno.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jan 2024, 02:35

That would be interesting to find out. So far only Greg Zanoni supplies them, but there might be people who have good panels but don't have modules to pair with. It would definitely be interesting to see if there might be a demand for a SASM Optel.

I'm currently putting batteries in all the watches, then I'll reattach the logos on the cases that don't have it and then I'll polish all the crystals and I'll take a picture of all the watches so I'll be able to put them for sale. 24 watches are currently working. They could've been more but unfortunately some modules are dead and one is not compatible with the panels I scavenged due to different electric resistance. But 24 working Optel DSMs is already something great on its own anyway.
Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Jan 2024, 17:56

If you would sell me 1 or 2 panels I could start such a project. An LCD would be something new.
Hanno.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2024, 15:56

I have a bag with panels, but every one has a different electric resistance and some have issues with the electrodes as some segments won't appear. If you can do something with those, I'd be more than happy to sell you those too. :)
Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Jan 2024, 12:49

For the development it does not really matter if the displays are 100% OK or not. It is much more important to learn about the different resistance values and about each display type which has been used back in the day.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post31 Jan 2024, 10:19

nice...my module that i purchased years ago from you stopped working. Time for a new one ;)
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Feb 2024, 01:57

Kasper wrote:nice...my module that i purchased years ago from you stopped working. Time for a new one ;)

Sad to see it's dead! But I got an entire watch for you to replace the old one. Plus, in this way the old dead module can donate you a spare panel which might always come in handy. Just let me know if you want a watch with flashing digits or steady ones, or both. :)

All the non-reserved watches have been put for sale. You can find them in the For Sale section.
Image Image

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches