Ventura digitals page.

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Ventura digitals page.

Post13 Jun 2018, 18:37

Please feel free to list your Ventura purchase stories and pics !

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Ventura digitals page.

Post15 Jun 2018, 19:40

Around 10 years ago i had quite a nice vintage watch collection,which i sold off for personal reasons.The usual fare of Pulsars ,Hamiltons and Seikos etcThere were photos listed ,as i recall somewhere on this forum.....Among them there were two i very much regret selling,one a nos Hamilton QED which was genuinely from a closing store and was as you would have collected it from the shop in 1974.Not like the usual "nos mint" stuff that constantly circles around ebay with multiple owners,this was something special.The other was a Seiko 0624 with the yellow face,also new but not working.I managed to source a new module from Japan and it was like new again.Sadly i sold the Hamilton to a gentleman in the States who was also called Mr Hamilton.Even after all these years he contacted me recently looking for more....
The Seiko went to Australia i think........Of them all though the Seiko was the biggest regret.
This takes me nicely to Ventura and the Delta.A watch with almost identical dimensions and very similar design,in fact it could well be the 0624 if it was made today.
However it must be said while the Seiko is beautifully made and designed,the Delta is on another level with so much detailing and subtle design elements its imo the worlds most beautiful digital watch.Gone is the mass market feel of the Seiko,replaced with stunningly high build and finish, and introducing a beautiful blue tinted sapphire glass which is curved inwards, its a designers dream.
Designed by Hannes Wettstein the Delta along with the original Alpha are future classics .Sadly its been discontinued for a few years now.....
This all comes round to this thread,as i have managed to purchase probably the last Delta available from a registered Ventura dealer in the original standard durinox on a black buffalo leather strap...its insanely beautiful.
IMG_0252 (1).jpg
Seiko-0624-8-700x525.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jul 2018, 03:43

I basically knew I had to have one when I first saw the Sigma, probably from a Timezone link or something. There is no way around it. End of story. :nikolaus:

I bought mine directly from Ventura. Its the bracelet version. But I never wear it on bracelet because its about one non-removeable link too big for my wrist. I was also able to source a rubber strap without breaking my bank. Yet, I still wear mine on this aftermarket rubber strap.

It also shows up in the movie Bangkok Dangerous

That was almost 5 years ago. And I did one DIY battery change with no issue.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Jul 2018, 12:32

IMO three of Venturas best.......
IMG_0304 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post30 Jul 2018, 22:53

Nice! Indeed.

I *almost* would add Kappa to that "Venturas' Best" list, but that crown is much harder to work with than the SS ones.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post31 Jul 2018, 08:36

Your probably right ,the Kappa should also be included.The scroll wheel on the Kappa is not as "grippy" as the other design so yes i see what you mean.
The Alpha 2 is perhaps on the border too big for me,but the Gamma falls into the original sweet size for my wrist.I feel its more attractive than the Alpha 2 if im honest.
It has a machined tooled look and casual style to it. However i prefer the flat crystal on the Alpha 2 .
I stick to the rubber /leather straps as the bracelet version,although beautifully made are too heavy for me and they slide up and down on my narrower wrist.The rubber straps are flexible and soft and have a grip to them that keeps them from sliding too much.
I do think the earlier models have the edge on overall quality which is up with the best available anywhere.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Nov 2018, 12:32

Who hasn't regretted selling a treasured piece? Ive done it countless times in the past ,sometimes that horrible feeling that i should not have sold it creeping in before you've returned from the post office after its gone. Now im far more careful giving it some serious thought before i ever consider passing on a nice watch. Among my watches that falls into this was my BMW Z watch which i sold to a friend on this forum.It was a beautiful watch and like most Ventura models pictures do not convey the quality and feel that all owners will understand.I remember handling the Z watch and admiring its design.I loved the way it was so clean and free of any added decoration and the way the leather flowed into the bezel free glass.The only thing i thought was wouldn't it be amazing if you could have lost the side bezel design making it even more pure?
It wasnt till a few years later i saw the Ventura Sparc FX. Exactly as i has envisaged with no bezel at all in its design, but even better.Super light weight nitrogen oxide hardened titanium case ( for those in the UK weighing the equivalent of two standard packets of Walkers crisps) twin sapphire crystals and soft rubber strap.This was the only Titanox cased auto digital that Ventura has produced to date.The ven99 movement was pretty special and remains today as one of the best digital displays. Its one of Hannes Wettsteins finest designs .Sadly its been discontinued for some time.
I also have a large collection of past Ventura catalogues and brochures showing all their models ,digital and analogue,its a fantastic record of their now discontinued models.
Luck am i to be able to bring you the following ....teaser pic
IMG_1065.JPG

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Dec 2018, 12:25

Pictures of the FX to follow soon......also awaiting the V-tec Gamma.Having found the Alpha 2 to be just on the large side for me.
Also now have many rare back inventory Ventura sales catalogues inc the FX and analogue models.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post11 Dec 2018, 04:52

Tease!!!!

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Dec 2018, 16:04

Pictures as advised ....
FX ( with the original catalogues from Ventura) on its Wolf winder and close up shots.
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Dec 2018, 16:24

The futuristic Gamma and back catalouge inventory.
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0602.jpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Dec 2018, 12:41

FX wrist shots...
[attachment=1]IMG_0606.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_1071.JPG[/attachment]

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post31 Dec 2018, 02:30

love how that FX turns out :)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Jan 2019, 12:41

Thank you.It is a very special watch,the only auto model Ventura made in titanox titanium ,and the worlds only titanium auto digital ever produced which makes it unique.Its very comfortable to wear (at around 50 grams with my shortened strap,however full length replacement straps are available from Ventura)It also has a butterfly clasp which was only used with this model when combined with the rubber strap.
I would like to see Ventura release a smaller version of the current Alpha using the case width used in the MGS version (38mm ) and a return to the beautiful brushed durinox steel used in the Sigma and Gamma.The current sand blasted finish on the Alpha is letting it down IMO.Also the smaller 38 mm case means the display is fuller.
I have actually asked MR Ralf Goldammer from Ventura regarding this.....

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post12 Aug 2020, 09:14

holly35 wrote:The futuristic Gamma and back catalouge inventory.

holly35, I'm interested in buying the VENTURA GAMMA in Stainless Steel Durinox. I prefer the look of the all black Durinox but worried it might scratch and show the silver beneath the Black Coating.

Years ago I had a KAPPA in Titanox and after wearing it for years it had zero scratches so I know its hard wearing but not sure of the Black Durinox. After some research (not much around) I am starting to like the GAMMA in Stainless Steel Durinox like the one you have here, do you still own it ?

If so, are you happy with it ? The first Ventura I had was a Delta and then the Kappa, this Gamma display layout looks better because of the larger font for the time display and I like the way the date is displayed too. The Case design is to my liking as well for a LCD Digital Display Watch.

Wish I could walk into a shop to look before I buy as I'm still deciding on the two choices available GAMMA W 61 S or W 66 S, they are including a rubber strap but will mostly wear it with the Bracelet. So far it looks to be the Stainless Durinox :)

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post25 Aug 2020, 11:24

Just received my Ventura Gamma W 61 S, Decided to go for the Stainless Durinox, I'm sure the Black Durinox would have been nice as well.

So far I like it, in the past I had a Delta and Kappa. As most of us we move pieces to buy other watches or gadgets. I'm glad I decided to buy another Ventura and the Gamma is even better with the way the time etc is displayed, I like the larger digits for the Time. Also how it shows the Day, Date, Month and Year all in one line. The scroll wheel works perfect and settings are very easy to work out.

One feature I really like compared to the previous Venturas I owned is the Power-Save Mode that turns the screen off after 2 minutes of no movement. Perfect for when you're not wearing the watch, and for me it will save battery because I won't be wearing this watch much. I bought it to wear only a few times a week for only a few hours at a time as I prefer Mechanical watches but as most watch enthusiasts we need some Digital watches in rotation with whatever else we own.

Very Happy :)

Stay Safe :)

Thanks Holly35 for your info as well.

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Oct 2020, 23:41

Hi everyone.

After years and years of reading ventura posts and checking out pictures and a long break from the world of watches i decided to sell off a few seikos and found myself exploring the ventura website. Sadly i could not find any review vids that truly showed the Alpha ( which is what i was interested in )

My main watch to wear is the Seiko SBPG001 which i’ve had for 10 years now. Extremely comfortable and a good size to boot
The Alpha II arrived today. It’s heavier than i thought and sadly i’m a little confused over it and unsure
Perhaps some questions could be answered from other owners ?

I bought the W 41 S

The finish is a magnet for grease / finger marks etc
The back light is poor IMO with the bulb glow seen from the left and an uneven spread of light across the display
Light button is really hard to press to make contact
The scroll button is not as smooth as i expected with a unpleasant click
The alarm isn’t particularly loud

Have a got a bad quality example ?

My instincts have picked up on all the above based on the cost of this watch and the uniqueness of it

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Oct 2020, 11:18

Im happy to share my thoughts and help ....
Firstly its important to understand that Ventura watches are a very small company with a dedicated team who create and assemble each and every watch by hand, all time modules are built in house .
The finish on the Alpha is a matt sand blasted hardened stainless steel and looks quite amazing. It changes from a darker grey to a silver sheen depending on the light.
Im surprised you find it a grease and finger print magnet as the finish is matt. ( I wouldn't handle any watches with greasy fingers anyway) but i find mine carries no finger prints.
The light button is i think purposely made to need a firm push to keep it from being activated unintentionally, mine is the same.
The back light on mine also has a brighter bulb glow on left but with an ok light spread. Ventura changed from a incandescent bulb from the original Delta Sigma Kappa and Alpha models which i would say had a better light spread and no bulb glow . I think the led light is more intense and could be the reason for this.
The alarm ive never used but have u actually tried it out ? Im sure it serves its purpose .
The scroll wheel is not like an Apple watch with its smooth haptic feed back sensation. The Ventura scroll wheel is an electro mechanical engineered system,yes it feels gritty in operation , the “ridge” click you feel is the scroll wheel shaft which is flat at the end and clicks as it passes contact ( you can see this on photos of the modules)
Its designed ti work like this, actually you dont need to turn the wheel much at all ti activate the menu , just rocking it about 2 mm is enough.
The Alpha is a beautiful watch with a superb display.
However if u get the chance please order the sigma as it is from the first generation of digitals and the build quality / finish/ operation/ is on a higher level as is the original Alpha and other first generation versions.
I have the sigma and original ltd edition Alpha 1 in dark grey .
The brushed stainless on the Sigma is gorgeous.
I dont think u have a bad watch , it just takes some getting used to.
Finally, they are very very rare and made in tiny numbers so your unlikely to ever meet anyone with one .
Hope this helps you !

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Oct 2020, 23:27

Thanks for the reply and insight. Having the experience and knowledge of digitals I am aware of the market and products available however I was quite disappointed with my Ventura watch. So much i sent i back the next day.
If the watch had been made of titanium and the issues i mentioned improved this watch would be awesome - but I feel for the money for me it certainly isn't worth it

3 really important things of a digital watch are - Display, Backlight and Alarm otherwise what is the point of a electronic display watch over another?

Ok, we could remove the alarm but the display and backlight are fundamental. Old tech struggled but it was there, come the modern age and a cheap ass timex lights up the night sky. For it to look like a bad example of an 0624 when illuminated was a total disappointment. Plus the display is not one to catch the eye and read easily. The pictures make it out to be excellent but in real light it was not.
The weight of the watch and its bulk is not fit for purpose - bit like the metal gear solid G747. I don't have greasy hands either but the satin finish you just have to look at and it retains any finger mark.

again, ive been reading and looking at post of Ventura on here for years and thought it was a real nice watch but maybe a little too way out there for me, as time went on I just wanted a good all round modern digital that could be repaired easily. After 10 years my SBPG001 is still in the lead and with no issues and prob the most comfiest watch ive ever worn

I mean and wish no insult or offence with my experience but after all these years it was a sad ending

Riba

Post01 Nov 2020, 10:28

I've been following this discussion with interest as I am also considering Alpha 2, but it appears (as I suspected) that even Ventura makes their display appear better than they actually are on promotional photograph just as others do. I'll still wait for a chance to check one in person. It is a shame that you did not snap a couple of photos to show the problem, maybe it was a defective unit after all.

And what happened to those nice indiglo backlights that gave a nice and uniform backlight? :(

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Nov 2020, 13:44

Ive no issues at all with mine, i suppose were all different, however i feel the display to be much better with its beautifully rounded digits set in green against a black back ground as opposed to the blocky black 8 segment lcd digits set on a grey background.lve shown photo of my Alpha on the other thread , you can decide on its quality. Ive found in nearly all lighting conditions, natural or artificial the display is top notch, i never had the need to use the back light unless its totally dark. Ive said the earlier original models are better than the new ones for back lighting.
Only traditional one i liked was the seiko with the green back ground and its curved digit style.
I will say the original Ventura line up is my favourite models..... exquisite quality and design ...the original Sigma retailed at 1500 euro and is built and finished to that price standard, ask anyone who has one.

Riba

Post02 Nov 2020, 15:07

Strange to see there is almost zero innovation in this area, everyone is sticking to the original segment design from the seventies.

I like what Timex has done with the display with Urban Command, it is a shame that the rest of the watch is horrid.

Next

Return to Modern Digitals