It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:15

Jughans Mega 1000 Version # + Availability ??

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Jughans Mega 1000 Version # + Availability ??

Post12 Oct 2005, 15:57

The previous thread on this watch was getting kind of long so I figured I'd start a new one. In the last post on the Mega 100 - Kateshitikano asked:

"The new version seems to be out (lots of Mega 1000s on ebay in the last days), so I added instructions how to check the version number in this posting (under "undocumented features").
Mine shows "VER 01 JH".
Could someone with a recently purchased Mega 1000 check the version to see if there's a difference?"

I would be MOST CURIOUS for someone to answer this. I STILL HAVE NOT received the one I had ordered earlier in the year. I did receive regular updates from the vendor. The latest which was yesterday Oct 11th, said that they HAD NOT received their "Large" shipment from Junghans (The vendor is one of the largest Internet based ones in the UK.) They even gave a official Junghans link as well as Junghans phone # to confirm the status they provided. In addition, The Junghans OFFICIAL USA website still says they will be "Available in October".

Which leads me to what is being offered for sale on eBay being authorized vendors cannot get their hands on one???

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Jughans Mega 1000 Version # + Availability ??

Post12 Oct 2005, 16:16

I asked one of these ebay sellers and he answered that his watches are the brand new version. I didn't ask him to make the version check.
Unfortunately, the contact person at Junghans that promised to send me a replacement module as soon as available does not work for Junghans any more. I hope her successor keeps the promise...

The previous thread is here

collector

Techie

Techie

Post21 Oct 2005, 18:56

I received another status update from the vendor whom I ordered my watch from. I've pasted the update below word for word. As a result of this update, I truly believe the watches you see up for bid on eBay are not the new version. How can a eBay seller get there hands on what is obviously sure to be a VERY VERY HOT ITEM once registered dealers get their hands on their supply? I am glad I ordered mine in the UK as it does seem Jughnans USA will not be getting their shipment till who knows when in 2006 and at what price. ALSO, those that might have a defective first generation module might want to contact Junghans directly to see what the replacement story is.

Here is the status udate mentioned earlier!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I spoke to Junghans once more this evening. It is certainly becoming troublesome.

To crystallise what what said to me. It would seem that US suppliers are unlikely to get their hands on any Mega 1000's before the Europeans, and the British in particular, since the UK is a larger market for Junghans than is the US, apparently. This may explain the 2006 date given on the web site whose url you sent me. Unfortunately I was unable to access the page you had seen. Although I realise that functionality is the greatest problem it was pointed out to me that the watch arrives in the US it will be more expensive than in the UK. The movements for the Mega to be delivered this year are second generation movements, it seems, with a further movement being produced in the new year. Junghans UK accept that a batch of defective Megas went out earlier this year and will automatically replace any Mega 1000 of any date of manufacture with a latest movement version if there is any doubt whatsoever about functionality. Meanwhile I am reassured that I will receive delivery very soon and most probably before November.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Oct 2005, 19:53

collector wrote:....... I truly believe the watches you see up for bid on eBay are not the new version........

I tend to agree with you collector. If there have been a great many 'Jughans Mega 1000's' on ebay recently, it sounds quite likely that it's sellers shifting earlier stock, as they know the upgraded model is out soon. If the watches are unused, and less than a year old, a seller might still give them a vague 'brand new' clasification, even if they know they are actually selling the first generation model.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Oct 2005, 20:32

Anybody purchased or held in his hands one of these recent offers and did a version check? Should be easy to see if it's a new or old model.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post25 Nov 2005, 20:55

I received my (new version) Junghans Mega 1000 earlier this week. It is simply outstanding in apperance and ALL functions including time sync work. I live in the USA where this watch is not yet available and had ordered it from a UK authorized dealer months ago. When it arrived, it showed it last synchronized 6 days ago to the European DCF77 transmitter (as seen on the LCD display). I would have expected this lag due to shipping time between the UK and the USA. I also did not expect it to sync automatically as it was well packed and in planes, trains, trucks, etc during its journey to the US. Before calling for a manual sync to the US WWVB transmitter, I checked its minutes and seconds accuracy to the WWVB transmitter via the Internet link to Denver. It was 100 % accurate to the second. (As an aside I am glad the US & European transmitters agree with each other as far as minutes & seconds). After doing this, I called for a manual sync to see if the watch would recognize the US WWVB transmitter. It did so immediately, reset itself and was accurate to the second. I waited 3 days to post this to see if the sync worked on a daily basis (which it does) and if the time was accurate to the second when checked against the transmitter. It is 100% accurate. As a further method of verifying its accuracy, I constantly monitored it against a Junghans Stainless Steel Atomic Mega I also have in my collection (I know this watch to be 100% accurate). Both watches display the same time to the second.

Perhaps those who had "troubles" with the earlier version of this watch can now get their modules updated to this new version.

Well that is the end of my input on this watch!!! In my opinion, this is a very nice watch and is destined to become a collectors item.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post28 Nov 2005, 12:45

Good to see the problems solved :)
Did you try a version readout with your new Mega 1000?

collector

Techie

Techie

Post30 Nov 2005, 16:37

I did not do a version check, As I was consumed with getting the "latest module", I wanted to know the easiest way to verify that my watch had the "newest" module. I was provided with the following way by my AUTHORIZED Junghans seller who has been in constant contact with Junghans.

"Some of the users of the first models had complained that the contrast could not be turned up high enough on the LCD display.The new model has 15 gradations instead of the original 9. So the way to see if you have the old or the new model is to check the contrast settings. It it displays 15 gradations you should have a new model. " Mine has the 15 settings.

Very simple way to check new versus old module!!!!!

When I get a chance I will do the version check and report back on what the watch "reports".

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post30 Nov 2005, 22:45

collector wrote:When I get a chance I will do the version check and report back on what the watch "reports".
Just to make chances bigger :wink: :

Factory reset and version readout (refer to manual for button names T1..T5):
1. Press T1+T2+T4 altogether until the LCD switches off.
2. Release T2+T4, then T1 (it's important not to release T1 before the others). The watch beeps and all segments are on.
3. Now press T5. The display shows "VER 01 JH" in the top row. I guess this is a version number.

stevenarcher

Post29 Dec 2005, 10:25

Just purchased mine before xmas and it shows VER 02 JH but I have been unable to sync it yet despite trying different locations in London. Came from retailer with 0 on the counter so must have been OK where he was (Hampshire UK)
Like the watch although bigger than I expected but may have to return it if I cannot resolve the sync issue!

collector

Techie

Techie

Post29 Dec 2005, 16:29

I have had this watch for a well over a month now and here is an update on my experiences with synching the watch.

Background: I had purchased the watch from an online seller in London as it is not available for sale in the US yet. When it arrived it did sync to the WVVB transmitter immediately and did sync properly for a number of days. As a result, I gave the watch a positive review on this forum.

Current Update: After posting the review, it did not sync for 3 days, automatic or manual, (that will teach me not to rush to judgement). I thought I had a problem and had a number of email conversations with the UK seller (all positive, informative and friendly). I agreed to try to sync the watch for several more days. On the fifth day it did sync and continued to sync for several more days, then no sync for two days. Based on my queries on the "sync issue", I researched the weather conditions across the US for the past month or so.

Reason: The WVVB transmitter is located in Denver and I live a distance of approximately 1600 miles (well within the advertised 2000 mile range). On the days the watch did not sync there were bad weather conditions. On the days it did sync weather conditions were good. The conclusion I have drawn, is that the receiver in the watch is extremely sensitive and highly dependent on good weather conditions. I know this is not a scientific fact but it is the only explanation I can come up with. It syncs when there are good weather conditions and does not sync when the conditions are bad. This experience has continued to today.

I do like the watch very much and can live with the watch "synching" 4-5 days out of every seven days, so I am keeping it.
Last edited by collector on 03 Mar 2006, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Dec 2005, 22:55

Mine is version one and will not synch at all in Pennsylvania. I am waiting for the module upgrade.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post01 Jan 2006, 18:53

Hi Ronaldheld,

With the half way decent weather we have been having, the watch has now synced properly for the last 7 consecutive days including New Years Eve. It accurately rolled over to 2006 and has been accurate to the second. Getting the version two replacement module should solve the problem you are having. Hopefully Junghans fullfills their promise to replace defective version one modules in a reasonable amount of time. I think you will really enjoy the watch once you get a properly functioning one.

Good luck with Junghans!!! Let us know how you make out.
Last edited by collector on 03 Mar 2006, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Jan 2006, 19:45

Thanks for that update. I will let you know when anything changes.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post07 Jan 2006, 17:18

Has anyone else in the UK had problems with the Mega 1000 not syncing, or locking up ?? I bought mine off ebay Germany last year and it worked for a day before locking up trying to sync. It was returned to Junghams UK and they were actually pretty helpful. They mentioned there was a known fault with them when used in the UK. Since being returned its been 100% fine.

I am now tempted by the new black faced one though ...

collector

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jan 2006, 16:39

Hi Diginut,

Glad to hear that your watched is now fixed. Based on all of the research I've done and my own personal experiences, with this watch, my guess is that the watch you bought on eBay was the "Version One" version. It was know to have sync problems across the pond as well as here in the US. Junghans was aware of the problem and released an updated version. Which leads me to believe that when you sent it back for repair, Junghans replaced the original module with its updated one. (See the previous posts on how to tell what version you now have).

Although I am located in the US, my watch was purchased in the UK where it did work fine.

I too like the black finishes and am tempted to go for 024/4501.00 model. I personally think these are a great value for the money.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post10 Jan 2006, 16:22

I finally got to see the new version of the Junghans Mega 1000 with metal strap yesterday. It belongs to a watch collecting friend who?s currently lurking on this forum ? and has been LED astray from his Pulsars into modern LCDs by the handsome beauty of the Mega 1000.

I was impressed with the weight as it seems to be about 150/160 grams which makes it heavier than the heaviest Pulsar I can remember. The strap is made out of a dark coloured alloy rather then a shiny stainless steel or chrome. I liked it a lot, but would prefer a SS strap. The contrast on the display was better other displays of this type, although not quite as good as a Ventura Alpha/Delta.

Anyone on the list got a selection of pics of the Venturas from a variety of angles to show the contrast/readability off ?? IE, not a specially taken shot but a typical viewing angle shot.

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jan 2006, 00:19

Diginut wrote:It belongs to a watch collecting friend who?s currently lurking on this forum ?

he lurkes no more... :lol:

I have noticed that the Mega does have a problem and will only sync up with the DCF77 transmitter on the odd occation and only if i hold it up high, whilst kneeling on the window sill of my sons bedroom. Tried the other windows sills but the wife caught me, maybe should have got dressed :oops:

Any Mega 1000 North West Owners out there with this problem, and I am not refering to a solution of balancing on your window sills and not looking like the last chicken in the shop! :?

Forgot to mention this is the latest module (by checking the contrast steps. CON 0 to CON 15) and was delivered just before Christmas.

Could the weather be a major contributor here?

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jan 2006, 01:13

Hi 'Pimply chicken', err, sorry, 'Liquidled' (great name BTW).

Can you take some pics of the Mega 1000 with the contrast settings high/low such that the image you upload looks like the real world scenario ? I say this becuase the website for the Mega1000 has some stunning pics of it but obviously these are choice pics taken when its catching the light at the right angle etc etc.

I am struggling towards making a decision to get one, even though I've already bought the plain LCD version :) Looks like it might be heading for an early sacrifice on ebay !

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2006, 03:21

@Diginut:
Have you checked the original Mega 1000 thread? Lots of info there, and some very good pictures made by member klama, see posting #5 there.
The LCD's viewing angle is quite narrow (see this photo), but still ok for me.

@LiquidLed:
Welcome to the forum (time to change my avatar :wink:)
ROTFL imagining you balancing on window sills, holding up your watch :lol:

It's amazing that your watch synchronizes at all. North West UK! This is so far away from DCF77. I live less than 400km from the transmitter and the watch never syncs on the wrist (Version 1 though; e.g. I was wearing it on New Year's eve, it failed to sync and thus missed the leap second).
Long distance LF transmission works better in the night time, and it DOES depend on the atmospheric conditions (i.e. weather) - I'm not sure what kind of weather is better, but I guess rain and fog is not good (aren't these the prevalent conditions there in North West UK :wink: )?

I wonder why Junghans doesn't support the MSF transmitter in Rugby (South East UK, IIRC). It transmits on 60kHz, the same frequency as WWVB and JJY60, so reception should be possible.
BTW: this could be the reason why early Mega 1000s "locked up" in England: they might have misinterpreted the MSF signal as a WWVB or JJY60, running into software problems.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jan 2006, 12:15

Thanks for pointer - I've had a good look, and feel a purchase coming on.

I'm still trying to get the image out of my head of LiquidLed perched on a window sill trying to Synch the watch !

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jan 2006, 15:16

Diginut wrote:I'm still trying to get the image out of my head of LiquidLed perched on a window sill trying to Synch the watch !

Just done it at work... been asked to leave the site :!: Didn't sync either :(

Diginut
I'll get some pics on here later, don't know if the contrast will show ok, but will give it a try.
Next

Return to Modern Digitals