Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Second Generation "Time Computer" Led Watch - QUES

Post16 Jan 2006, 18:15

Hi All,

The banner on the oldpulsars.com web site says a second generation "Time Computer" Led watch is going to be introduced sometime this year. Has anyone seen one or have any information on it???

I am hoping that whatever it is, it truly is a "REAL QUALITY" watch and not another cheap knockoff. I am sure there are a large # of "collectors" who would be willing to pay a fair & decent price for a truly outstanding model!!!

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Re: Second Generation "Time Computer" Led Watch -

Post16 Jan 2006, 21:38

I doubt it very much !

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2006, 01:03

Well I don't know why he would state this and it not be true. It will cause a lot of confusion with new buyers on Ebay. I have so many people emailing me asking me if my "vintage 1976" watch (for example) is vintage or modern. Grrrr.

MJ

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2006, 01:47

I searched the whole site three times until I found that moving banner - just because I successfully trained my eyes to ignore anthing moving or flashing on web sites :wink:

For the impatient:
"I want to thank all those 2005 visitors and take this time to announce that in 2006 the 2nd Generation TIME COMPUTER will be unvailed to the world. . . . After nearly a year in development comes an LED watch that will turn the digital watch industry upside down . . . . . . a watch that doesn't look like any watch you have ever seen . . . . . . a watch with features so inovative you'll wonder why it took this long. . . . . Keep an eye on this page for the link that will take you to the new . . . . TIME COMPUTER."

This raises the bar high, IMHO...

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Jan 2006, 03:52

kateshitikano wrote:(From the Oldpulsars website). . . . . a watch that doesn't look like any watch you have ever seen . . . . . .

So if it doesn't look like any watch i've seen, what does it look like? A potato, or perhaps a toothbrush? I've seen a lot of watches. Ok sorry if i'm being a little sarcastic, i'm just in one of those moods. Toothbrushes are obviously not worn on wrists! Even so, I agree with you kateshitikano, this statement does raise the bar very high.

My best guess is that oldpulsar might be doing something like fitting up some of those new coloured LED displays in a really good quality, possibly brushed metal, Pulsar shaped case. If so i'd be more prepared to part with my cash, than I would with most of the other coloured LED watches. They're nice, but just seem to lack the solidity of the 70's watches i'm used to. I'll just have to wait and see :?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2006, 06:02

I hope it's not a tinkered version using the classic cases. From the sounds of it; I don't think it is. I think it would take away the uniqueness of the original watches.

Anyway, I don't think he can sell anything with the name "Pulsar", as new, since Seiko owns the name. He might have got the rights to the name ?Time Computer?, however.

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post21 Jan 2006, 23:28

Well, its certainly got my interest, I will be watching the web site closely probably like the rest of you. That is quite a build up and claim but the site has been an excellent source and very factual. Totally agree - a modern well constructed and prestigious LED would be a welcome. I hope it is a true LED - I guess it must be. Does anyone know anything about it at all????

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Jan 2006, 17:08

oldpulsars.com may be the only people who can really say what this project's all about, and they may be keeping thing close to their chest untill they are totally ready? If you contact them, they might at least give you a good ball park figure of when this second generation thing kicks off.

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post08 Feb 2006, 14:42

Well, I haven't had any joy in finding out about this other than "watch this space"

Don't expect that this is linked to the recent announcement on the LED Forum and the link to the new watch.

http://www.led-watch.com/usspacegun.htm

This is a P3 "looky likey" - surely this not it as it would be mentioned on the web site.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2006, 17:12

Well looks like a Pulsar, but it is not a real Pulsar I fear. Have already asked about it - the parts of it cannot be interchanged with original Pulsar parts. :?

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Feb 2006, 21:00

I think we're talking about two different projects. The old pulsars - second generation time computer is one, but i'm not aware that it has anything to do with the watches sold on led-watch.com?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Feb 2006, 01:34

Yeah something got messed up here. The watch on led-watch.com has been available for sometime and is not refered to as a Pulsar or Time Computer watch. He's just now offering it in a "gun metal" finish.

Who knows what the watch from OldPulsars will be like.

MJ

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post09 Feb 2006, 14:45

Has anyone noticed that on the web site it says "Time Computer TM" - I think that means that the "Time Computer" must have a current trade mark and still in operation???

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post09 Feb 2006, 22:56

Interesting. I just did a Trademark search and discovered that in November, 2005, one "Dennis Klein" filed an application on the term "Time Computer" as a trademark for providing goods and services in the form of wristwatches. I'm surprised that Seiko let it lapse.

The new trademark is active and I'm pretty curious to see what the new Time Computers TM will be like!

Here's the latest update from oldpulsars.com:
UPDATE: The project is entering into the final engineering and manufacturing stage. This new TC has proven to have some challenges for the project team. Rather than rush the project, we feel the new Time Computer should be developed to insure the philosophies of the original company from back in the 70s...Quality, Design and Ingenuity. You can expect the same from the new Time Computer TM
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post12 Feb 2006, 23:39

Thanks for the info, that sounds really promising. Cant wait to see the first pics of the "new old Pulsar". I just hope it wont use a bubble type display... :P

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post30 Mar 2006, 13:35

According to the Banner - should be on sale in June.

Hurry up with those pics on the site! The anticipation is unbearable!

I agree - I hope it isn't a bubble/convex display screen also.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post30 Mar 2006, 16:27

Well the original Pulsar went to the bubble display with their last watch and they would have continued it if the LED era didn't come to an end.

hueur

Nerd

Nerd

Post22 Apr 2006, 09:18

I hope this is just modules to put into great old cases...

Return to Modern Digitals