Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Introducing the V-Tec Sigma

Post11 Mar 2006, 07:21

Just ran across this advert today:

Fantastic looking watch, appears to be a redressed V-Tec Alpha, complete with "EZ Skroll." I hope it has some new features.
Last edited by dot matrix on 17 Jan 2019, 23:52, edited 2 times in total.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Introducing the V-Tec Sigma

Post11 Mar 2006, 14:02

I saw the ad in Watchtime. I am trying to get more information on that watch.

dot matrix

Post11 Mar 2006, 17:10

Anyone going to Baselworld? Looks like that's where the big unveiling will be.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Mar 2006, 00:17

Unfortunately not, so I asked my AD to see if he can find out if it is mostly another recasing.

snailmeat

Post19 Mar 2006, 12:45

Some larger pics and a short write up here:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_1797320

dot matrix

Post21 Mar 2006, 00:19

Same debatable claim that the EZScroll is easy to use; and that you don't need a manual to use the watch:

http://www.luxist.com/2006/03/19/v-tec-sigma-watch/
Last edited by dot matrix on 21 Mar 2006, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Mar 2006, 01:57

snailmeat wrote:Some larger pics and a short write up here:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_1797320

Thanks for the link. Some nice pics and info there. Had a little read through some of the comments, most of which were (I thought) reasonable & friendly discussion, just like this forum :) Unsuprisingly though, I did notice someone with a 'mechanical watch snob' type atitude, claiming that this (or any other electronic watch) was basically no more advanced or technical than a cheap far eastern digital, and therefore couldn't justify the price. Man where do these people come from? It's all very well being a fan of one type of watch (mechanical), but that's no reason for making a pretty ignorant sweeping judgement on others (digitals). Yeah, that guy was the exception, but i'm still glad the comments here are a bit better argued :)

dot matrix

Post18 May 2006, 15:35

For those of you who don't read WatchTime, here's a brief piece about the Ventura Sigma that appeared in the June issue's Basel report. Accompanying it was a picture of the watch.

WatchTime wrote:Against the Trend
Ventura's founder Pierre Nobs has made it quite clear that mechanical watches are passe at Ventura. Henceforth the firm will focus on electronic timepieces with digital time displays. Of course, Venture won't offer cheap Chinese mass-produced merchandise, but will continue to make wristwatches of discriminating design and outstandingly high quality.
Some of its timepieces will dispense with batteries and rely instead on an oscilllating weight to generate the necessary energy. ETA, however, has announced that it intends to discontinue production of such movements, so Ventura has developed its own electronic movements. The swiss industrial designer Paolo Fancelli joined Ventura to help create the new Sigma collection, which articulates a formal idiom that pushes the envelope of traditional watch design. The new v-Tec Sigma is intended to be worn on the inner curve of the wrist, exactly like old-fashioned watches for automobile drivers. This positioning lets you read the time without having to turn your wrist inward. The quartz movement with two lines of liquid-crystal digits offers numerous functions: it shows the time and date, serves as a chronograh, and can also be set with an alarm time and the time in a second time zone. Operating these diverse electronic operations is child's play: simply rotate the knurled cylinder and then apply axial pressure to confirm your selection. When darkness falls, the dial can be triggered to glow impressively.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 May 2006, 11:50

You do need a manual for some functions. IMO, the ez scroll is a good idea but I think that the 4 pushers are the better functional solution.

dot matrix

Post19 May 2006, 23:57

I never liked the EZ scroll, I found it very inconvenient to use. It was one of the reasons I sold my Alpha. Perhaps by now they've gotten the kinks worked out, but on my v-tec Alpha, it was not smooth at all. I would have to turn it by different amounts to get to the next function - with the result that I would always skip past the function I was trying to get to, or have to keep turning the scroll further than I expected. I think there may have been a delay problem too; where I would keep turning the scroll, but the watch would be displaying where I was half a second ago, then jump ahead to where I was, skipping over whatever was in between.

The fact that v-tec is also using an industry standard self-winding mechanism from a mechanical watch (instead of something solid state, like, say, a solar panel) to power their digital watches is just too trapped in the mechanical watch mindset for my taste.

It's too bad, because the watches look absolutely fantastic and wonderfully high-tech. I just wish there was more substance and innovation inside that expensive and durable high-quality case.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2006, 00:56

No the scroll still acts as you describe it. I agree that there should be a drive to be more hi^tech and have no moving parts.

dot matrix

Post20 May 2006, 01:52

ronald, did you ever find out anything from your AD - and did you get a chance to handle (or maybe even buy) a Sigma?

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2006, 13:34

I didn't get anything, since I asked before Basel. I could ask again about the battery versus microgenerator versions

dot matrix

Post20 May 2006, 23:11

I was curious how you knew that there were still problems with the scroll mechanism. Have you tried out one of the new watches?

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 May 2006, 01:03

I had store credit from my AD, so I bought a Delta last December.

Return to Modern Digitals