Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Re: What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Post21 Apr 2006, 16:50

Jeff,

Love the blue led / with blue crystal design. Please, Please do the engraving like the TI, its a neat appearence!!!

Question - I am wondering since this is going to be a limited run are you going to create some sort of waiting list? Especially for us on the DWF? Ok Ok I know I am being presumtious (dont know how to spell that word) but I figured I'd ask. No harm - No foull!!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Apr 2006, 18:11

This one is also very nice. You make it really hard - I couldn't decide between the blue and read version, and now you added even a 3rd option. You're so cruel :wink:
I'll have to wait for actual photos to decide. You can put me on your waiting list :wink:

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Apr 2006, 01:40

I'm just submitting this design now but I'm wondering if you can do such an engraving on a glass crystal? I don't think you can. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jeff

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post22 Apr 2006, 06:25

MJ,

I too, really like the Blue LED/Blue screen. I'm willing to wait a bit longer to get mine.

Sincerely,

Negative Nancy

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Apr 2006, 10:00

Sincerely, Negative Nancy

Ha, that's classic. I hope everyone knows that was just a joke. I didn't actually decide to add blue and red crystals because I thought people were "bitching". Actually I think there were only a few who mentioned it.

Jeff

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post23 Apr 2006, 00:16

I was just having a bit of fun as well. I did not take your post as bitching.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post23 Apr 2006, 01:11

MJ wrote:I'm just submitting this design now but I'm wondering if you can do such an engraving on a glass crystal? I don't think you can. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff:

Your main choices for engraving on glass(I do stained glass among other things): Chemical etching, sandblasting,laser etching.
Chemical: Cheap, you can get a membrane or mesh stencil made that can keep everything in place, such as the half circle that makes up the top of a lower-case "e". $50 for a template with maybe 35-40 copies of the name in it, $.3-.5(yes,3-5 cents!) for the etching, per piece. Each stencil(after cutting bigger stencil into individual ones with name) is good for 50+ etchings. Chemical etching can be done at your kitchen table while you watch the television. 8) http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/
Sandlasting: Inexpensive, but hard to cut and apply a template for items that size, which rules it out. :( This is how those fancy patterns and pictures are put on headstones in cemetaries, and glass windows in resturants and other businesses.
Laser:possibly the cheapest, if you have enough pieces.....they do wonderful stuff with lasers. I've had script letters and other such stuff cut at incredibly low prices, once we got beyond the setup cost. Look in the phone book under toolmaking if there is nothing listed under lasers. Write me a private message if you need more details.

Actual engraving or grinding on glass is not economical and it introduces fine stress cracks. :(

BTW:After chemical etching, dropping gold or silver paint/epoxy into the letters, while wiping of the excess, is an easy task.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post23 Apr 2006, 17:34

I don't think the people I'm dealing with have done glass engraving before. At least not with text so small. Anyway, I might have to hold this one off for a bit and redesign the case. I'll see. We are working on on options right now.

Thanks for your info and I'll forward it to my partners.

Jeff

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post23 Apr 2006, 19:44

little 1 up,

If you do stained glass work, how hard would it be to produce a red glass screen for some of the Pulsars that have "vulnerable" screens such as the Executive and BigTime. Due to the convex design, these screens seem to screem out "break me". And it is very hard to find replacements.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post23 Apr 2006, 20:54

Curving the glass is not the difficult part - the process is referred to as slumping. Basically you cut and grind the glass edges smooth, and then it is laid in or over a curved item(ceramic or metal) in a standard pottery kiln, which really doesn't have to go that high for the glass to "slump" or bend. Finishing the surface of the glass to the fine finish one expects on a watch is the harder part. I do not put myself forth as having mastered great techniques for that....keep thinking I am going to find out what the people who make their own telescope lens do. I recently bought a nice Novus off watchismo that had a cracked glass crystal...gonna use that as my test case for putting in green glass. I'm wondering when/if people will start to decorate their cheaper vintage LEDs, the way classic car buffs put on totally non-original finishes. Black oxide or gun blue could look pretty sweet on some of those stainless steel "plain Janes", IMO. I've actually saved an article from a gun magizine where it tells about baking on ceramic based finishes to your gun parts, that are virtually scuff proof. :wink:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post05 May 2006, 15:46

Well if you go to the Pulsar website tomorrow the new "Time Computer" is to be announced........lets see if there's anything new about this one.
Previous

Return to Modern Digitals