Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Re: What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Post06 Apr 2006, 17:22

Hi Jeff,

Absolutely the first one with the name near the bottom!!! The name in the middle makes the watch look offcenter / unbalanced, not sure if I would buy this model. I definetly would buy the one with the name lower - but this is only one persons opinion. Also no bars / lines above or below the name - detracts from the clean look you established!

The Knight Logo would look nice on the clasp.

An unimportant question - are you going to have somesort of custom box with the name logo / etc on it? Certailnly would enhance its value. Long term maybe even the box will be worth what the P1 box just went for :)

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post06 Apr 2006, 17:49

Jeff,

I like the one with the name on the bottum as well. Do you have any idea on price?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Apr 2006, 18:48

Man, I miss checking in on this site for one week and look what happens :lol:

The designs look great, can't wait to see them MJ!

I still hope that in the future somone could get a good Organic LED display going, but your's sounds like it's gonna be very bright, and cool looking when lit :)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post06 Apr 2006, 19:23

Yesyesyesyesyes, the first one (name on bottom, no lines, no logo)!!! The 2nd version is also very good, but the 1st is PERFECT (IMHO, of course).
I won't find any sleep until I have it :wink:
Any idea yet about the price? (So I can start the fundraising campaign).

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post08 Apr 2006, 05:04

This would be the "Electro-Majestyk" or maybe "The MAgical Mystery Majestyk"

How about "Mr. Majestyk" and put Charles Bronson's face above the Majestyk name. :)

Anyway, to answer some questions. Yes, there will be a box and instructions. I'm not going to go fancy with the box. I'll make it black with sillver "Majestyk" lettering with the same font as the watch. It will probably be cardboard based with foam inside.

As for the price, I honestly don't know. The quality of the watch actually turned out better than I thought so it can't be too low, making it seem cheap and lumping it with some of the cheaper modern LED's. I'll probably start it around $199 and see what happens but that's not official at this point. In the end, it will be priced to what the market dictates.

I still hope that in the future somone could get a good Organic LED display going, but your's sounds like it's gonna be very bright, and cool looking when lit Smile

OLED is something that I'm keenly interested as well. I don't think the folks who developed this watch are up to the OLED task since its such a new and ongoing developed technology, so if I go to OLED for my next watch (assuming there is one), I would have to go to the folks who are devloping OLED for the module.

Anyway I have submitted the design (the one with just the name) and I need one part tweaked on the module (just the battery contact, nothing serious), so when this is done, my next step will be to sell some to other vendors. I won't be purchasing the entire 2000 piece run. So it won't be too much longer. I'll keep everyone updated.

Later,

Jeff

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Apr 2006, 15:48

my version...
I?m losing my edge!

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Apr 2006, 00:56

I guess I was to late.....
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Apr 2006, 01:15

Thanks. I had something similar when I was designing a more colorful face and going for a more jump hour looking design.

If anyone else likes that, let me know ASAP. I do, but I think I still prefer the one with no lines around the text.

Jeff

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Apr 2006, 01:21

wait!
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Apr 2006, 01:31

If I were to do that, I think I'd close in the lines, at the end. Anyway, you guys make the call, I have till Sunday afternoon.

Thanks,

Jeff

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Apr 2006, 01:37

Im making a survey this very moment...I?ll have the result soon.
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Apr 2006, 02:24

Ah...Ok. :)

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post09 Apr 2006, 02:41

MJ,

My preference would still be to cover the entire face with a blue lens (or possibly make it an option), so it is obvious that it is a LED watch. Half the fun of wearing an LED watch is the attention it gets from others.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Apr 2006, 04:55

My goal is to come out with something a little different than what's already available with a modern LED watch. Plus there were several LED watches in the 70's that had a clear lens, so it's still some what keeping in line with the traditional look. After my initial run of this design, I'll take it in to consideration.

Thanks,

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post13 Apr 2006, 04:10

HDLED wrote:MJ,

My preference would still be to cover the entire face with a blue lens (or possibly make it an option), so it is obvious that it is a LED watch....

I agree on the dark crystal being a instant clue to a watch being LED. I was at a music concert recently and became obsessed on trying to figure out what brand of LED the artist had on...I kept seeing his hand,the microphone and the watch face up in the big screen monitors they had hanging from the ceiling.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post13 Apr 2006, 05:30

I also like the idea of a large crystal, but when considering "form follows functionality," it unfortunately makes no sense if the watch only has one line of 4 digits. It's really silly when the large crystal has a black paper insert underneath it, with a small 2 cm wide by .5 mm tall slit cut in it to let the digits show through!

Of all the designs posted, I prefer this one the most.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2006, 07:03

It's really silly when the large crystal has a black paper insert underneath it, with a small 2 cm wide by .5 mm tall slit cut in it to let the digits show through!

I don't think the "black paper" insert correctly describes the display which is plastic on the outside, and your logic is flawed here. I mean all LED watches have a crystal that is proportionally larger than the 4 digit display inside. Mine is no different. Nor is it any different than the Bulova's, NSC's, early LCD's, etc that had a similar clear crystal design. The only difference is the crystal is longer and narrower and the display off center to have a more jump hour look. I guess you don't like the Jump Hour design either since it has a small display and long face.

I have to say, I like these comments. It means I'm not putting out another typical "vintage wanabe" LED watch that is saturating ebay. :)

As for a color crystal, it won't work with this design unless I put the "Majestyk" signing on the crystal to the right of the display. When I picture it in my mind, it doesn't look good. By the way, I don't think anyone has asked nor have I mentioned but the clear crystal is glass, not plastic. It has a very nice clink sound when you flick it with your finger. :)

Back to the display; I was thinking of putting a small crystal over it (like the Bulova) but I though it would be redundant and unnecessary since it already has a crystal look to it.

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2006, 11:40

MJ wrote:... By the way, I don't think anyone has asked nor have I mentioned but the clear crystal is glass, not plastic. It has a very nice clink sound when you flick it with your finger. :) ...
I guess no one asked because it was clear you'd never use a plastic crystal :wink:
As for the design: my favourite is the same as dot matrix mentions, and IIUC this is the final design :). It's simply perfect this way.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2006, 12:25

Oh yeah, the face. The one that Dot Matrix likes (and a lot of others) is the one I'm using. Actually I believe the manufacture is doing the "runner up" as well, just so I can see what it looks like. This will also give me the ability to offer anyone who wants to sell this watch at least two choices. I might offer both as well, I don't know at this point. I do like the "basic" face the best and it will definitely be the one used but the other has grown on me.

Thanks to embelton for doing a poll for me on another forum. It was 50/50 split. :)

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post13 Apr 2006, 13:16

Majestyk - go for it! The real glass crystal will be greatly appreciated, and I have to agree that a dark crystal would be overkill on this particular offset design.

"form follows functionality". Hmmm, IMO, the wristwatch IS a highly nonfunctional form, grossly large in light of it's function and the manufacturing possibilities of today....like many other things. A large dark crystal surrounding some small points of light really are a form following function design - it isolates the display. In graphics layout that is referred to as "white space" or in this case, "reverse whitespace". 8)

Majestyk's design now has a block of display that is perceived as dark, surrounded by a field of whitespace. It works:!:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2006, 13:50

Just thought I'd show the red display with the updated face. I can't wait to get it for the one I wear. I have that yucky temp blue face on it.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post21 Apr 2006, 15:52

Ok, for you Negative Nancy's out there who want a colored crystal, how about this? It will be a limited run only. Same goes with the red face.

The text isn't drawn very well but it would be engraved like on the TI watches. I think it's a good middle ground from having it printed on and having it engraved on the case, which would leave that area on the crystal deadfully blank looking.

As for the blue watch, I think this is the first LED watch, ever, to have a blue display AND blue crystal.

This will not be released until later on. I was going to keep it a secret but I thought I owe you guys, from your input; so if you want the colored crystal, you'll have to wait longer. Seeing the photos side by side, I must say I like the clear crystal better. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals