What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Post30 Mar 2006, 16:24

I know some "builders" of LED watches read this forum - so here is one mans very BASIC wish list!! No particular order of importance.

1. Good quality saphire crystal - no mineral glass etc

2. High quality "hard" stainless case, steel band and clasp - not something that will scratch the clasp or band the first time you are at your desk and rub it on the desk top!

3. One push button to tell time etc (NOT A PIMPLY LOOKING THING) with a second recessed button for setting everything. i.e. Adidas's buttons are pimply looking and ill placed, and at a min the date and time buttons shoud be reversed, they are stupid in their present configuration / location.

4. Hour, second, month, date display WITH THE CAPABILITY of setting seconds.

5. Screw off / on battery button - similar to the early Wits, Bulovas, etc - not the Pulsar type. NO PRY OFF CASEBACK WHATSOEVER!!!

6. Signed band as well as clasp

7. Serialized with an online registery / warranty process etc - never a doubt about origin etc. I bought my wife a Moissanite ring and the Charles and Colvard site made it very easy to register the individual stone / serial # as well as make you eligible for their lifetime warranty - so this should not be a hard thing to do - other retailers also do this.

8. Good reliable well made electronic module - not another .99 cent module from China etc. THIS IS A MUST IF I SEE ANOTHER CHEAP PIECE OF C---- module I will scream!

9. Good design - not another knockoff

10. Waterproof to 5 Bar - not something that goes under the first time you wash your hands!!

11. Easily adjustable band size (large enough to fit a good sized wrist) - okay if you have to bring it to a jeweler - but it should not make the jeweler scream in frustration when they try to resize it!!

12. NO PLASTIC PARTS ANYWHERE ON THE WATCH!!!

13. Decent UNDERSTANDABLE instruction / warranty booklet.

Well thats it for now, I reserve the right to add other items if they come to mind.

What would others like to see in / on their "WISH WATCH"? Maybe someone will listen?

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Re: What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Post30 Mar 2006, 16:56

You have most of it covered :wink:

I would also add Alarm, day/Date, Flick wrist option (I ride a motorbike and the P4 Flick is just perfect when I need to tell time at night or day).

I am sure an awesome time piece can be built with todays technology but it seems more money can be made by producing affordable junk for the mass market. Not many PPL will fork out 100s for a watch so whoever builds it will maybe become famous but nt rich.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Apr 2006, 04:26

I'd add on:
1. organic LED display(like new Sony MP3 players,etc.) for low power consumption - friggin display is the battery killer, not the clock circuit
2.Always "On" display to go with #1 above, with a "tap three" times feature to shut the display off in dark locations like theatres or at bedtime, tap twice to turn display back on. Or a movement/flick setup that kept the display on for a few minutes after some movement, unless you shut it down.
3.Solar panel area to supppliment battery(s).
4.Personal preference - linked band with a flexy area on back of wrist instead of a clasp. I have a gold Sears LED that was factory set-up like this - excellent for busy people who need to take off their watch on a moments notice. Or a nice "hiding" type of clasp...there are several designs with side "push" panels that release the clasp, many use two smaller versions of the standard bifolding clasps seen on Pulsars, Polaras,etc. which work toward each other.
Last edited by retroleds on 02 Apr 2006, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post02 Apr 2006, 11:38

Isn't "General Discussion" for non LED Watch related talk? Just curious. :)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post02 Apr 2006, 14:43

Weeeelll, we're not talking new existing or old, so yes, this does seem like the right place for this. Just "General Discussion" about what our wish list would include. :lol: Come'on, you know there are some features you would like to see if you were ordering a watch....join in! 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post02 Apr 2006, 18:17

In every forum I've ever been on (100's) there is always one group that lets people discuss what is not related to the forum. "General Discussion" is that group. Like if you want to talk about cars, it goes here. But, hey, I can live with it; I'm just making a point. :) I don't come here much so more people would join in if it was in "LED Watches".

Anyway, here is a sneak peek of my watch that most people won't see because I'm putting it in this thread. :)

Firstly, the face and the crappy, crooked, tiny font/letters are temporary. I will also be getting rid of the "1" after Majestyk as I don't know if there will be a "2". :) Later I will address what it has and what it doesn't have in the first list above. The LED display is like the Adidas display and is a little brighter and sharper. The numbers are the exact same size. It goes on for about 3 seconds when the buttons are pushed. I chose not to go with the magnified wire bonded display because it's hard to come by and I don't like it. I also wanted nice Blue numbers and this display really makes it shine. I really like the way it turned out. It's a very deep blue shade, yet bright. If you're not familiar with the Adidas display the numbers are slightly bigger than the 70's displays.

Your browser may shrink the photos. Just click on them for the full size.

I'll post further info in the next 24 hours. Thanks.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Apr 2006, 21:10

IMHO its the best modern led ever.
especially like the buttons,reminds me of one of the tissot led?s ...cool!

when will they be in the stores?
I?m losing my edge!

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post02 Apr 2006, 22:09

The case and band look to be heavily influenced by the Wittnauer Polara [the one with the asymmetic crystal]. Not sure I care for the way the caseback is done [those four little screws just cry out "Lose me!"], but if you do the display right [exact 70s style], this might be a winner...

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Apr 2006, 22:19

Agreed. Looks like the modern, grown up love child of a Wittnauer and a (TV shaped) Bulova. I like it. When it's ready, you can put my name down for one (or point me in the direction of the ebay auction).

Now, I know im opening a can of worms here, as everyone has a favorite colour scheme, but how about an SS version, with black face, old gold lettering, and green display? Thanks :)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2006, 02:40

I'm most interested in the watch's construction: is that a stock case and band that have been modified by you; were they made by you or were they a special order item. Ditto on the electronics.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2006, 04:11

Kind of busy today but as I said, I'll be back with more info. I'll answer some questions:

'm most interested in the watch's construction: is that a stock case and band that have been modified by you; were they made by you or were they a special order item. Ditto on the electronics.

Nothing is stock. It is all original. I can't say the design is 100% original anymore than Megalasers "Pulsar" type watch but it's influenced on three different designs of the 70's. The not so obvious is the jump hour look. I really wanted an off center display with the text beside it, like jump hour watches.

Not sure I care for the way the caseback is done [those four little screws just cry out "Lose me!"], but if you do the display right [exact 70s style], this might be a winner...

Well with a little care, I don't think the screws will be a problem. The plate will stay in fine with two in the corners. Most people will bring these to jewelers anyway. I might consider putting a screw off battery cover on the back, which I don't think has ever been done before, for a large CR type battery. I just don't like the look. I like a cleaner look myself.

As far as the "original 70's display", unless I can fully or partially develope it myself, I'd be paying a good $10,000+ for a company to do this. There is no such display that exists today except on the Synchronar, which has had decades of development, and maybe the upcoming Time Computer which has a lot to live up to. There is that "dot watch" which I guess is close but I will say (in my opionion) that the display on my watch is so much better looking. By the way, I'm not talking about the 70's magnified display which I MIGHT have been able to source but only with a red color. And let's face it; 99% of the people who wear "geek" watches like this aren't going to care about the display being exactly like the 70's. I think more of the younger generation are going to see it as a little alarm clock built in to a watch. The older crowd who happen to remember the displays of the original LED's, are not going to care about the numbers being a little thicker and non wire bonded, which they won't notice. Actually they won't even notice any change unless they collect the originals. The only people that are going to want a 70's wire bonded display are about 5 to 10 that are in this forum. :) And I will say, that I got very good money for the Adidas watches that I sold, which had this display. That includes the non drivers Adidas as well. I think it's a much more "stable" display too, as far as segments going out over time. It has a much smaller chance of that happening vs a wire bonded display.

It all boils down to marketing. How many people will NOT buy this because the display wasn't constructed like the 70's one. I would venture to guess that it wouldn't be on the percentage scale. They'll be a lot more people who won't buy this because you have to push a button to make the time light up. :)

Buy the way Bruce, you didn't really think I had this module constructed just for demo purposes did you? :)

Now, I know im opening a can of worms here, as everyone has a favorite colour scheme, but how about an SS version, with black face, old gold lettering, and green display? Thanks

Black face? You mean a black coating, sort of like the Synchronar's have? If the watch sells more than 2000 units, I'll consider it. As far as a green display, right now I'm only doing red and a limited edition blue. I've been watching the sales of the modern LED's and the red display is still the most popular. I've never liked the green color display myself, but if I get a lot of requests for it, I'll come out with a limited batch but I have to sell out of the first 2000 units, before I consider it.

I'll let everyone know when the watch is available. I have to sell a certain amount to retailers or "e-tailers" before I begin constructing it. I only have four right now and only one blue display one. And of course, I have to finish the face. I'm going to finalize a design by the end of this week. If anyone has any ideas what they'd like to see done with the face, let me know. Even if you just have an idea for the font type.

This went on longer than I thought. I'll be back later with more info.

Jeff

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Apr 2006, 06:49

I wouldnt mind seeing an other kind of script,maybe something simular to this Image

Q:what would Majestyk look like using the futuristic design of the MANTRONIX-logo?
A:Fresh!Dope!Cool!
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2006, 07:04

That's funny. That's the type of font I was going to go with. I got the idea from the word "Fitron" on the Fitron watches I've been selling. I'm actually trying to find a ttf file with it. I might have one, I'm sifting through all my fonts tonight. I also might do a painted logo rather then the 3D style one in my sample face. I always fear those letters will fall off. I had a Seiko watch where that happened. It would look more like a jump hour face too. Anyway, I'll get the folks I'm dealing with to make a couple mock ups and I'll see what is best.

Thanks,

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2006, 14:14

Hm, very nice, I like the design, especially the off-center display.
Screws on the caseback is ok - screew-off battery cover is not necessary IMHO and will only make it more expensive.
As for the face: how about no writing at all, just a symbol (if at all)? I prefer a clean look.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post03 Apr 2006, 15:07

Hi MJ - Your new watch just might cause me to break my rule about "No Retro LED Watches". With the exception of the Adidas SS Drivers, I have steered clear of any Retros. As I posted previously, I VERY VERY MUCH am sorry I bought the Adidas.

The primary reason's:
1. Pimply Button Design
2. Stupid button layout (at a min the date & time buttons layout should have been reversed.
3. No way to set the watch to the exact second / minute - at least none I have ever figured out.

That said - I will repeat I LIKE YOUR NEW DESIGN VERY MUCH!!! I would definetly buy one IF:

1. It does have the capability to set the exact time (seconds please)

2. Most Important - Fix the screen layout / design - As Kateshitikano said in the previous post, possibly keep it clean and elegant, only your logo no writing whatsoever. At the risk of offending Embelton, I would absolutely NOT BUY the watch with this kind of font. I really believe the "Safest" way to ensure a large amount of sales is to keep it clean and elegant - that way no one can "gripe".

With these two exceptions, I thing you have hit a "Home Run". I do like everything else about the watch including the screw down back - its looks just like the one on the "Junghans Mega 1000" and I like this method very much - its clean / elegant!

Again, GOOD LUCK with this venture - hopefully I'll have one of these in my collection soon!!!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2006, 16:18

Collector: As my first post states, the face that you are seeing is temporary. I'd never release it looking like this. It's possible my final one, which will be ready in about a week or so won't hit a home run with everyone but the nice thing about this watch, is the faces can come out and be replaced so I can always update them and I should be able to sell extra ones for people who already own the watch.

I do want to keep the text because hardly any modern LED watch is signed and I like a signed watch, and I like the jump hour look which is what the face on this is modeled after.

As for seconds, you can forget about it. :) Do you want to know why no modern LED watch has seconds? (The ones modeled after vintage ones that is). Because all the manufactures are using the same LED IC schematic that seems to get passed around from manufacture to manufacture. In order for me to have added seconds, it would have cost me a lot of cash. I won't list the figure. I also want to keep the cost down as much as possible. If this watch does well, then my next one will have more than seconds.

BUT there is good news about the timing. Whenever you set the minutes, it goes to zero seconds, so as far as accurate timing, you shouldn't need the seconds. At least I don't, with a little practice.

Jeff

collector

Techie

Techie

Post03 Apr 2006, 17:53

MJ - Thanks for the update!

Sounds like you are working on a "classy" face - can't wait to see the final version!! Whatever you finally decide upon for the face, please make sure how its put on is "quality". Not something that will wear off unevenly in a few months.

Also, thanks for the explanation on the "seconds" issue. I did not realize how much of an issue this was. As long as there is a way to set the watch to an exact minute is okay with me.

Looking forward to adding one to my collection!!! (Never thought I'd say this about a Retro Watch!!!)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Apr 2006, 02:16

collector wrote:MJ - Thanks for the update!

Sounds like you are working on a "classy" face - can't wait to see the final version!! Whatever you finally decide upon for the face, please make sure how its put on is "quality". Not something that will wear off unevenly in a few months.

It sounds to me like the 'face' wil be a coloured insert that fits in the case, in front of the module, but behind the crystal, so will have no probs with wear?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post04 Apr 2006, 07:40

The face doesn't touch the crystal, so there will be no wear.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post04 Apr 2006, 10:12

I like the watch. Have you considered making the entire view screen dark like the LED watches of the 1970's? I don't think that the brown view screen goes with the blue digits. I think the overall impact would be better if the entire view screen was dark blue.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post04 Apr 2006, 12:38

Do you mean replace the clear glass with red for the red display and blue for the blue display? I really set out to have a jump hour style look to the watch and it's not what I was going for. I wanted a look sort of like Bulova and other manufactures in the 70's was going for, with the clear glass and the art work face.

I have considered it, however, if the faces that I propose to the manufacture don't work out. :)

Jeff

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post04 Apr 2006, 12:54

What would you guys say to a stainless steel face? No graphics or lines and just text to the side? Or maybe a polished face? I figure at this point, I should get your input before I submit the final design.

Something like this. I could put engraved text to the right and the stainless steel could be a different shade to offset from the watch.

Last edited by Majestyk on 04 Apr 2006, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Modern Digitals