It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:24

WHY NO SECONDS AVAILABILTY ON MODERN LED WATCHES????

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

WHY NO SECONDS AVAILABILTY ON MODERN LED WATCHES????

Post26 Apr 2006, 16:17

An issue, with modern LED watches, which I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT be made to understand is why no seconds display!! Please do not tell me its a programming issue or something just as silly such as it costs more to manafacture a module which displays seconds. ALL of the early vintage LED's had this capability (even the cheap $9.99 ones at the end of the 70's LED craze had the ability to display seconds).

Maybe the current "computer programers" / "electrical engineers" need to ask their 70's counterparts how it was done. I am sure there are still many schematics from that era still around!!!! Again, please don't say what a big deal it is to design / make a LED watch with the capability to display seconds. I can go to the local flea market a pick up a brand new LCD (yes LCD) which display seconds for less than $5.00. How much more difficult / expensive is it to carry this technology over to the "NEW" LED world?

Sorry for ranting but this is a pet peeve of mine.

I have just made a personal vow that I WILL NEVER AGAIN purchase a modern LED watch which does not display seconds!!! I know I am just one person and probably sellers of new LED's will ignore a complaint from just one person but so be it! I'll just stick to the vintage LED's from 30 years ago that shame the features of the new LED's!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: WHY NO SECONDS AVAILABILTY ON MODERN LED WATCHES????

Post26 Apr 2006, 16:40

Take two aspirins and call the Dr. in the morning. :lol:
But seriously, it is a bit stupid that we can't get seconds out of those new watches.... I like the Fila LCD/LED hybrid I got lately: seconds, chronographer,dual alarms, pacer,and the display turns a wicked mettalic green against black in the brightest sun - a blind man could read it. All for about $55. And a quality band(although, the only way to adjust the size is to remove links). Here in the U.S., the name Fila is targeted toward black athletes and the hip-hop crowd, so they are missing out on a big market. Most white guys(like me) wouldn't be caught dead wearing that brand.... if it said BMW they would go for $300. :o
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2006, 18:30

Hi Little1up,

First on the no seconds issue - no aspirin necessary - this has bugged me for a very long time. In my humble opinion, some makers of the "NEW LED's" are only in it for the quick buck. No attention to customer requirements. Maybe someone will eventually pay attention. Maybe the new Time Computer will. Till then I will vote with my $'s.

Secondly,

Thanks for the heads up on the Fila brand. I am sad to say I had never heard of that brand prior to you mentioning it. I did look on eBay and they indeed have some nice watches. The watch I have a link to, really intriques me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FILA-GRAND-PRIX-MEN ... dZViewItem

Green display (although not LED), lots of features, including seconds, etched/engraved name on front, nice design, etc etc. Is this the one you were refering to. If not would you be kind enough to either post a link or PM me with a link to the one you picked up? Looks like you might have steered me to something - you should get a commision from them!! Thanks!!!!!

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Apr 2006, 19:22

Can't help you with the seconds issue, but I can say that the Fila brand is (or at least was) a pretty fasionable sportswear brand in the UK, and as such they were marketed towards a young but otherwise general audience. They used to, and probably still do, sponsor some well known sports people. Particularly tennis stars and I think some golfers.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post26 Apr 2006, 21:14

collector wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/FILA-GRAND-PRIX-MEN ... dZViewItem

Green display (although not LED), lots of features, including seconds, etched/engraved name on front, nice design, etc etc. Is this the one you were refering to. If not would you be kind enough to either post a link or PM me with a link to the one you picked up? Looks like you might have steered me to something - you should get a commision from them!! Thanks!!!!!

Yeah, this is the one, but they really don't show how the backlite display shows pale blue, and only the daylight display shows green - really reflective in nature, the brighter the ambient light the better. Very sturdy and super smooth band, every corner is rounded off neatly. The only caveat to this watch is: it IS quite heavy, and the case is fairly tall from lug to lug which may feel a little odd on some people.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Modern Digitals