Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Anyone bought the green display "unbranded" Adidas

Post04 May 2006, 10:43

IMO the numbers look like they were dropped on the display in Photosho or something, in the ads. No angular distortion, althought the watch is being displayed at an angle. :? Too many of the new watches have fuzzy though bright displays. Anyone got one of these in their hands, who could report back to us? :)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Re: Anyone bought the green display "unbranded" Ad

Post04 May 2006, 15:12

Regarding this LED, I believe reviews were posted on the forum http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1311

I have the Adidas sideview and absolutely DISLIKE it. Poor button placement, no seconds display, etc, etc - it was / is my worst personal LED purchase. I have a couple of "REAL" Bulova Sideviews and, in my opinion, there is simply no comparison between the "Real" thing and the Adidas. Because of my dislike of the Adidas I will not touch this one. Too similar!

Rather spend more $ and be happy!!!! But again, its only my preference I realize all of us have different tastes.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post05 May 2006, 01:22

I got an Adidas sideview too...it sucked...was really wondering if these green ones were any better.

We have POWER to influence this market..remember, it's all about "What's In Your Wallet"!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post20 Feb 2007, 15:34

retroleds.com wrote:I got an Adidas sideview too...it sucked...was really wondering if these green ones were any better.

We have POWER to influence this market..remember, it's all about "What's In Your Wallet"!

Could you guys with direct experience with this watch be more specific about what sucked about it? It's no fun spending $100+ dollars and finding out the ad pictures were blatantly deceptive and the watch looks nothing like the pictures. Been there. It would be nice if there were a 'User Review' section for new watches on the market, so we in the community could get more than just the advertisers point of view before we make a purchase. This would also 'inspire' the retailers to offer better quality products and to be more forthcoming in their advertising.

Carabo

re: Anyone bought the green display "unbranded" Ad

Post20 Feb 2007, 15:56

I've got an Adidas Bulova and am very happy with it. If you're in the market for a (new) budget LED watch this should certainly be high on your list.

I can get into serious collectors being pedantic about these watches but fact is, there were budget watches back in the 70's as well. This is how it should be looked at imo.

The images that go with this item are accurate with regard to the display. http://cgi.ebay.nl/ADIDAS-ORIGINALS-LED-DIGITAL-WATCH-Bulova-Driver-HSD602_W0QQitemZ190081392585QQihZ009QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Don't have any experience with the ledwatch.com Bulova style watches. I do think they look kinda generic where the Adidas has some nice branding and a nicer case (in my opinion anyway).

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post20 Feb 2007, 17:28

redled wrote:[
Could you guys with direct experience with this watch be more specific about what sucked about it? It would be nice if there were a 'User Review' section for new watches on the market, so we in the community could get more than just the advertisers point of view before we make a purchase. This would also 'inspire' the retailers to offer better quality products and to be more forthcoming in their advertising.

Specifically: numbers are a bit fuzzy compared to the sharp lines of the '70s LEDs, due largly to the vertical and horizontal segments all being the same length, forming a small square which gets flooded with light from the "competing" segments. Old style ones had longer vertical(up/down) pieces, shorter horizontals...and the segments didn't touch at the corners. Also, the new ones are TOO bright, which adds to the blur factor.

User review: It's what I am trying to do,albiet only one a month, over at www.thedigitalwatch.com . I'm trying to get people used to the idea that IT is the place to send an unbiased review. Eventually there will be a large number of these, since all articles will be archived and readily available. Give them the good, the bad and ugly of it. Then send the review to me and I may run it. Or review it informally HERE, in the "Digital Watch Gallery and Reviews". I reviewed "The Scope" there - it might be a good example.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post20 Feb 2007, 17:57

Thanks retroleds, that looks like a great site, i'll definitely be spending some time there.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post21 Feb 2007, 23:35

retroleds, I can't seem to find your review of the Scope watch, can you post a link?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post22 Feb 2007, 00:12

It's here http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=8512#8512

I'll be honest with you, I couldn't find it either....stumbled on it while cleaning out my "Sent Box". I had "Scope: Review..." I pulled the ":" away from the word Scope and no problem. I say if anyone else really screws up a thread, I should fix their's "occasionally" with a smile, like I do my own. :lol:

Return to Modern Digitals