It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:34

The new "TIME COMPUTER" is almost here!!!

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

The new "TIME COMPUTER" is almost here!!!

Post05 May 2006, 15:32

Check out the banner on the Pulsar site. The new model is to be revealed to the World at 12:01 tomorrow!

Hands up if you will be on line! :D

Drum roll ddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: The new "TIME COMPUTER" is almost here!!!

Post06 May 2006, 01:06

I?m losing my edge!

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 01:21

Click on the timecomputer link just down from top of oldpulsars site. Or visit www.thetimecomputer.com to see an animation (complete with some dodgy music synching on it, using twilight zone sound bytes). This vid will take time to load if you havent got DSL.

Hmm. Nice enough, I suppose. Not ugly, I wouldnt mind one as its another modern digital watch oddity to collect. Not sure quite what I was expecting, but its $495 too ....

Cant understand why so much is being made of the fact you can look at the time upside down. I tend to wear a watch one way round all the time !

jurys' out for me on this one.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 02:27

Well if you ever wake up in the middle of the night and want to see the time, you just press the middle of the lower part and there you have it - inverted time. Or if someone asks you for the time and you are busy on the phone or you mouth is full etc, you can show them - Inverted.

Your at a Disco pulling a John Travolta move from your repertory and a chicky babe takes a liking to you so she uses the old "do you have the time" routine on you, you Give it to Her - Inverted :wink

ehh, I'm sure it will come in handy. I like it

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2006, 04:14

I like it. The design wasn't what I was expecting at all and I don't think the inverted time is necessary (does nothing for me) but other wise it's a cool watch.

Jeff

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 May 2006, 05:27

Nice watch.Good to see new ideas and inovation,I like the toutch activation.
Will be interesting to see how the 'trimmer capacitor' is adjusted, I suspect it will involve removing the back.
Look forward to seeing the first real pictures later today. I wonder what the measurements are?
LED watches are cool!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2006, 07:12

With today's QC's, I doubt you'll have to touch the TC.

(Gotta love acronyms!)

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 May 2006, 09:32

At last Ive seen it..it looks cheap,almost like a toy.
i wouldnt even call it a led watch...a modern digital watch is more like it.
I?m losing my edge!

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 May 2006, 10:58

I like the look, but i'd sure like to see more pics before I commit to buying one. I can't tell if the watch actually looks toy like, as embelton said, or if it is a nice soild piece of work. The coloured saphire crystal sounds pretty flash. If the watch turns out to be the quality - build and materials - we're all hoping for, i'll get one if I can. If it compares well to the Ventura and Heuer digitals, it'll be a total bargain, but i'd be a bit upset if the circuts are cheaply made, low quality chinese stuff. Can't wait for a review :)

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 13:35

Of course we are looking at a digital image of this watch so it will look like a toy, the real test is to see it in real life. High quality S/Steel and the highest quality Saphire crystal makes me believe this piece will look grand even after many years.

But as you say, the internals may be below par so I will keep my figers crossed.

BTW I do like the flashing logo, this is also used in a high quality flashlight (another of my hobbies) and is very handy for locating your watch in the dark

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 May 2006, 13:54

I like the flashing logo too, and the ability to turn it off if it starts to iritate me, and there's a seconds display. Yippee :) I've read the info on the time computer page a little more, and it really does sound great. I'm pretty sure i'll go for a green one, not because it reminds me of the rarity value attached to original greenies, just because I really like the way green goes with stainless steel.

However, my only question now is, how readable will the watch be in bright light? The lack of readability of the green drivers LED I just bought is the only real let down. Then again we're talking differenty levels of quality here, so I wouldn't expect the same problems with the TC.

If its as good it says, this is exactly what almost all of us have been asking for - good quality build, alarms, water proof, long lasting battery, seconds display.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 14:30

Well I put myself down for a safe bet Red, but later I will look into the others :wink:

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 May 2006, 14:48

If it uses the name "Time Computer" it should be more Pulsar-looking,IMHO that watch doesnt have anything to do with Pulsar.

Shouldnt the thread be moved to Modern Digitals?

Sorry for being negative :roll:

Is it a LED-watch?
I?m losing my edge!

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 15:46

I didn't see where it said the different colors available. Can anyone please tell me where that is at?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2006, 15:56

I didn't see where it said the different colors available. Can anyone please tell me where that is at?

It's to the right of the yellow "Inverta" logo at the top. You'll see it when the video is playing.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2006, 18:32

Can't help myself, I don't like the design, not at all, (perhaps it'll look better on real photos). But that's fine - saves me a lot of money so I can buy MJs LED watch :wink:

BTW IHO there's by far too much hype and exaggeration in the text, e.g.:
"something not seen since the last of the first generation watches, a quartz timing trimmer": all 3 LCDs I wore in the 80s had a trimmer.
And why not adjust it digitally, without having to open the back. It is easy to do (even $0.20 real time clock chips have this feature, not to forget the Synchronar), why couldn't the "the world leader in the industry" go this way?
Oops, I have to stop, getting way too negative :oops: Maybe because I'm disappointed by the design (at least, it IS unique), the expectations were too high...

Anyway, the command bar sounds very interesting: "Unlike the typical systems that can activate with any conductive material (like water) our touch-command system can only be activated with the touch of a human finger" - this makes me very curious. What's the operating principle? Can it be activated by another person (not only the wearer)? Can it distinguish a human finger from, say, a pet's paw, or a sausage :wink:? Is it a touch-sensor, or an odd-shaped push-button?

OT @ andyz4000: Inova T3, Inova T1, The Orb RAW (Tritium Locator & 2-Stage Switch, I really LOVE it on my keychain), Streamlight Luxeon JR (2nd generation). Plus many others I gave away because I never used them...

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 18:48

I use the jil on my keychain, it great. my Surefires were converted to high output green lasers except for the one I use for work.

Must check out the orb, darn! you got me ebaying for flashlights again

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2006, 19:38

andyz4000 wrote:I use the jil on my keychain, it great. my Surefires were converted to high output green lasers except for the one I use for work.
Must check out the orb, darn! you got me ebaying for flashlights again
JIL intelli? Very nice light, I also considered this one, but finally went for the Orb because of its raw power and not-so-martial design.
Haven't seen the Orbs on ebay yet, got mine here.
WTH are you doing with those green lasers?
(Ok, in case we got anybody interested in LED flashlights, start here :wink:).

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 19:53

At the moment I am fitting a 95mw Wicked Laser Module into a Surefire E2D Defender. I don't do any more for myself but one guy off the forums has been at me for months so I am doing it for him.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 May 2006, 09:12

Love the Laser andyz4000. Saw all the step by step building pics on your website and was gonna comment ages ago but forgot :? So does it slice through plate steel, and cut off human limbs? Oh no, i'm thinking of light sabre's, I always get those two confused :)

I love gadgets, and I'd love one of these myself, but i'm not too sure what i'd use it for.

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 May 2006, 03:19

The human only activation principle is probably good old fashioned 'hum pick up' just like touching the input of an audio amplifier.
The 50/60 Hertz signal is then used to activate the watch functions.
Not all that hitech really, but works quite well and has been used for 'toutch tuned' channel changing in 70's TV's.
LED watches are cool!

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 04:02

No, it wont do steel :lol:

The one in the pics is around 30 or 40mw so its pretty powerfull

Dragonfly your theory sounds interesting, I have never heard of hum pick up, cool :wink:
Next

Return to Modern Digitals