The New Time Computer

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

The New Time Computer

Post06 May 2006, 15:53

I'm sorry guys, but I think it is an insult to lable it with the "Time Computer" brand... and if anyone thinks they can compare this to the fantastic legacy of the Original watch designs... "Think again "

It looks like a cheap retro ... $495 ???

I think the work on the website with the video has had more thought and design than the watch itself !

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Time Computer... Utter Junk !!!!

Post06 May 2006, 22:42

Hear hear!
I?m losing my edge!

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post06 May 2006, 23:07

Simon Alexander wrote:
I think the work on the website with the video has had more thought and design than the watch itself !

I have to agree (re the web site), not even seen the watch it yet, itching to get involved, neither firefox or explorer will show me the watch, just broken links!!!

Can we have some traditional pics please, or could someone post a pic, thanks
It is here! It is now!

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 02:43

So is it the design that look cheap, or the watch itself?

ledwatch

Banned

Post07 May 2006, 09:21

[Photo removed at copyright owner request....please visit www.oldpulsars.com for an update on the Inverta]
For all those who cant see anything, the website has been designed with a 10mB download, so if you aint on DSL then you aint going to be able to buy the watch :lol:
[Photo removed at copyright owner request....please visit www.oldpulsars.com for an update on the Inverta]

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 09:50

So is it the design that look cheap, or the watch itself?

I think its the watch design that spoils the project.. On his website... Klein says he showed the watch to Jean Wuischpard and it was a bit hard for him to grasp..... I aint surprised one bit !! I tell ya one thing... NO WAY ON EARTH, would Hamilton have released this design if they were making LED's today !

But we must not forget ?.. THIS WATCH IS NOTHING TO DO WITH ORIGINAL ?PULSAR THE TIME COMPUTER? IN ANY WAY !!!

Just a guy that has bought the old trading name .....

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 May 2006, 10:40

Andy:Its the design.

It doesnt have to look like an old Pulsar but it should be more in the tradition of the Pulsars.

Feels a bit like what happened when Pulsar was sold to Seiko(?)!
I?m losing my edge!

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 10:59

Fair comment, I will wait to see the real deal. I still like it from what I see so far and never really considered it as a replacement to my beloved Pulsars, really I like the design.

I wonder if he will do a totally black version, with Blue Crystal it would look cool :D

Also I wonder what the hidden clasp is like

Darn it I want more pics

Digitiser

Post07 May 2006, 12:09

I do like the style, it is a nice design, but at $495.......!!

If it was $49.50 then I would buy one.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 18:33

Simon Alexander wrote:I'm sorry guys, but personal feelings aside, and as a totally impartial view on the watch itself....

Personal feelings aside? Simon you sound as though the watch fell out of a tree and hit you on the head :lol:

Honestly, where do you get Junk from what you have seen and read so far??

I have been keeping an eye out on almost every new LED watch on offer and I would use the word Junk on most if not all of them. This is the only new LED that promises what I expected and more.

Again its personal choice on design and I can understand each to his/her own but curious on your junk and dignity oppinion :?

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Post07 May 2006, 18:37

I woulldnt buy one at 50 dollars it just looks like all the other cheap new LEDs on ebay but with the TIME COMPUTER name and too much hype :shock:

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 19:53

Personal feelings aside? Simon you sound as though the watch fell out of a tree and hit you on the head

Honestly, where do you get Junk from what you have seen and read so far??

AndyZ

I base my comments on collecting for over 11 years now, and having over 150 LED watches ( some of them the rarest models in the world) but particularly, the hype with which this watch has been given by the seller... Anyone who claims to make a watch like .. .... Quote ..." Nothing we have ever seen before" and then presents us with this.. In my opinion is just asking for critics (we collectors) to pull it apart! ........ Failing that, I base my opinion on what I see with my eyes... A poor designed modern cheap looking LED ...

Megalasers watches are just as good !!!.......And before anyone asks.. my eye sight is fine ... Thank you... 8)

If the watch was to my liking, I would say... I honestly would..... Anyway, the proof will be in how well it sells for $495... and I dont think I will be supprised by the numbers.

You may disagree and I accept that... We all have differing opinions which is fine by me. :shock:

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 22:53

You guys are brutal. I think the watch is awesome. While there are other LED watches that have some of the features this watch has, none come close to incorporating all of them: the countdown timer, two alarms, trimmer, flick-of-the wrist, sapphire crystal that is guaranteed not to scratch, etc, etc. Had the original TC had the chance to evolve, I am sure most of these innovations would have been incorporated.

The look of the watch is cool and innovative. It has a unique style that is impossible to judge based on an animation. There is no doubt that this is a very quality watch. If you compare the cost of this watch to that of the original TC, and then factor in inflation, this watch is very modestly priced.
Last edited by Planet-LED on 07 May 2006, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 May 2006, 23:11

Time Computer:
Quote"I never ONCE made claim my watch was a Pulsar nor would I want to copy anything somebody else designed, that?s not my style"

By using the term Time Computer you are using the name of Pulsar..or is the name just a coincident?

I dont like the design and thats about it...no hard feelings I hope?

Good luck with your project!
I?m losing my edge!

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 04:47

Ok I'm just going to clarify my position here guys, when I first heard of then saw this watch, I Loved it and wanted one without question. When I heard PPL trashing it well I kind of took it personally cause in my mind I allready own 1 (or two, or more 8) .

I do not have 150 watches but If I had the chance I would (bluddy nice collection Simon :wink: )

I have around 40 or 50 :)

I ride my harley to phillip island twice a year and camp the weekend and of course every chance I get and when I ride, I wear the P4. This lets me see the time with a flick while on the road.

I wear P3 or Bulova Drivers when I go out with the wife cause they are classy.

Every day I wear a beat up P3 (older model with older style band) more links makes it comfortable.

I will travel to Greece and Russia next year and I plan on taking my Omega (Russia uses 24 hour time and I will need alarm and count down) But now I will take my new Time Computer - Woohoo !!

So really I dont care what its called, who made it, who is going to buy it - I will simply have one for myself because I'm sure it will become my most worn watch and to me it is simply Awesome :)

But when I read some of you guys trashing it, well I was curious as to what the reasons were.

I am a LED Collector and Fanatic and it took my fancy right away, in fact I showed it to my 20 year old son (who wears a Bulova Side View) and he was stoked. I have now decided to present him with a Blue version for his 21st and hopefully with the serial # 1985 which is his birth year.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with other new owners and I know I'm keen but for me its not often something so new and unique comes along.

Andrew

PS, TC can you please put aside Blue 1985 or do I have to email via your site?

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 08:58

My objections on the design are purely from what I see...... Conratulations on Bergey and Jean liking your watch ! I hope you sell thousands of them. However, I stand by what I say ... I dont like the design and I think the price is way too high... Perhaps if you'd called the watch the "DK-1 " priced at $99, I'd be slighly more in favour, but you set out to produce and the continue the legacy of the Pulsar Time Computer (R).

Again, congratulations on the work and presentation video on the website... I think it is excellent !

Simon Alexander
(Collector & Critique) :D

ledwatch

Banned

Post08 May 2006, 10:18

andyz4000 wrote:I ride my harley to phillip island twice a year and camp the weekend and of course every chance I get and when I ride, I wear the P4. This lets me see the time with a flick while on the road.
?

Hey slightly O.T. but Andy, I have a Harley Fatboy and I cannot wear any of my auto-flick Pulsars whilst riding because the frequency of the big twin at 60 to 70mph means that the display is on permanently, and flattens the batteries!! :lol: How do you mange that?

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 12:14

Nice to see a brother on the forums :wink:

Mine is a 2005 Softail with 200 rear end and a couple of minor mods, I have seen the watch flick on a couple of times but never had problem with batteries.

It must be the ballanced shafts on my 2005 Model, not so shakey :lol:

Either that or my P4 is not as sensative, I will try some of my other flickers out and see. :wink:

Ohh and I should say before the Harley I rode a Ducati 900 SS to the Island, still no problem with the P4.

ledwatch

Banned

Post08 May 2006, 13:43

Aha, now I see why you can ride and wear, mines a 1340cc Evolution, the last evo before the revolution series, I got it in 2000, no balance shafts in that engine, shakes me and my Pulsars to peices!!

I wonder if my wife would accept the excuse that I need a new $25K Harley because I cannot wear my P4? Possibly not!! :lol:

hueur

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 May 2006, 18:24

Hi all Pulsar design lovers,

Personally, it is totally unaesthtic. It is a major point for me. I don't care so much about technology. Some Pulsar cases like P2 are perfect object design such as Eames chair or an old Porsche and many other awesome objects ...
I think also that the appellation "time computer" is a little bit strange nowadays ... computer does a lot much than calculate time ...
There is something moving in the old technology and appellation Pulsar Time Computer of the 70's because it was the prehistory of mass high-technology. Today it's a nonsense.
H

collector

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 19:00

Hueur - Totally agree with you about the P2 being the ultimate in Pulsar design. It is my absolute favorite LED watch, regardless of brand. Also agree about the old Porshe, but I would take a new one in a second if I could afford one!!!

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post08 May 2006, 22:53

The new Time Computer is not a "Pulsar" - "Pulsar" was a brand, and I suppose it still is, although it is now owned by Seiko.

The Inverta seems to me to be a great design, but I would want to see actual photographs of a real watch before buying one.

Someone stated that megalaser's watches are quality products. They are, so for the $495 being asked for the Inverta, I would expect a much higher quality item. The fact that the watch has a saphire crystal is very promising.
Last edited by dot matrix on 08 May 2006, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.
Next

Return to Modern Digitals